New Mexico 2020

I threw my name in the hat for the first time this year. Not expecting much though I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to drawing tags of any kind.

I'll just toss the GoHunt breakdown on here for tag allocation, you guys can do the research

Since this is an elk forum, if you're applying for any of the 16's as a NR you're fine.

"In years past the state had fallen into the habit of rounding tag numbers up which led to an over-allocation of nonresident tags. New action was taken this year to ensure that any rounding was now done to the lowest whole number - This will effectively guarantee that, at a minimum, the 84% of the licenses for residents is met but this also means that less nonresident tags will be given out as compared to years past. Additionally, this will set very clear guidelines as to what hunts nonresidents will be eligible for.

Basing off of the 6% for nonresidents any hunt with a total of under 17 licenses it is very unlikely that there will be a tag available. Additionally, counting the 10% for outfitted applicants, hunts with less than 10 tags again it will be very unlikely that there will be a tag available. These numbers will be important for any applicants as they enter the 2020 draw.

Note: If you have already applied, you can still modify your application up until the March 18 draw deadline. Apply or modify your application here."

I'll just toss the GoHunt breakdown on here for tag allocation, you guys can do the research

Since this is an elk forum, if you're applying for any of the 16's as a NR you're fine.

"In years past the state had fallen into the habit of rounding tag numbers up which led to an over-allocation of nonresident tags. New action was taken this year to ensure that any rounding was now done to the lowest whole number - This will effectively guarantee that, at a minimum, the 84% of the licenses for residents is met but this also means that less nonresident tags will be given out as compared to years past. Additionally, this will set very clear guidelines as to what hunts nonresidents will be eligible for.

Basing off of the 6% for nonresidents any hunt with a total of under 17 licenses it is very unlikely that there will be a tag available. Additionally, counting the 10% for outfitted applicants, hunts with less than 10 tags again it will be very unlikely that there will be a tag available. These numbers will be important for any applicants as they enter the 2020 draw.

Note: If you have already applied, you can still modify your application up until the March 18 draw deadline. Apply or modify your application here."

Maybe I don’t know how to do the math properly but that seems way off to me. I’d be surprised that gohunt is wrong since that’s what they are paid to do. But I’m pretty sure they are wrong.

Maybe I don’t know how to do the math properly but that seems way off to me.

16 Licenses = 13.44 licenses for 84% resident pool but since they round up to the lowest number that's now 14 resident licenses at a MINIMUM that must be allocated leaving just two left that. Your NR tag is a .96 license (6% of 16) of that pool taking your up to 6% allocation out of the drawing.

16 Licenses = 13.44 licenses for 84% resident pool but since they round up to the lowest number that's now 14 resident licenses at a MINIMUM that must be allocated leaving just two left that. Your NR tag is a .96 license (6% of 16) of that pool taking your up to 6% allocation out of the drawing.

Your saying 2 tags are going in the outfitter draw then? That’s 12.5% of tags.

13 tags. 11 to residents, 1 to outfitter draw, 1 to non res draw. That’s 84.6% to residents, and 7.4% to outfitter and non res.

That’s how I did the math. Maybe it’s wrong but I believe I’m right.

fatlander

WKR
What hunts are you guys applying for with 16 tags beside unit 6B? That’s a waste of money in it of itself. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
Your saying 2 tags are going in the outfitter draw then? That’s 12.5% of tags.

13 tags. 11 to residents, 1 to outfitter draw, 1 to non res draw. That’s 84.6% to residents, and 7.4% to outfitter and non res.

That’s how I did the math. Maybe it’s wrong but I believe I’m right.
Pretty sure the minimum is 10% for outfitter.

Pretty sure the minimum is 10% for outfitter.

I listened to the commissioners meeting in October. I believe the gentleman's name was Stuart that brought it up to the commission. The minimum applies to residents. Also when it comes to rounding its in reference to article 19.31.3(0). (article could be the wrong word there. I believe those are the correct numbers though)

That article gave the PIC the authority to round up the actual allocation of tags. Lets say there were 10 license's allocated to hunt code 001. If you do the math that's 8.4 to res, 1 to outfitter, and 0.6 to non res. So they would issue 9 to res, 1 to outfitters, and 1 to non res. Article 19.31.3(0) gave the PIC the authority to issue 11 license's instead of 10. Which over allocated license's and in that scenario only gave res 81.8% of the license allocation.

Stuart brought up that it would take 7 licenses for an outfitter to get a license and 13 for a non res to get a license. They weren't worried about the allocation as long as the residents got a minimum of 84% and they didn't over allocate licenses per the bio's recommendation.

Fatlander I think it affects antelope a lot depending on the 13 or 17 tag split.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Maybe a lot of people pulled their apps. I mean , its probably the right thing to do. Save the money for TP later.

jmcd22

WKR

False! I need these odds to improve at least a little! Between the craziness and the "change" I was hoping for some more luck! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I am curious to see if apps drop at all from people forgetting with everything going on or being more cautious with money.

fatlander

WKR
False! I need these odds to improve at least a little! Between the craziness and the "change" I was hoping for some more luck! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I am curious to see if apps drop at all from people forgetting with everything going on or being more cautious with money.

I do think point creep (read demand) will slow or maybe reverse in some areas/states. Scary things are happening to our economy right now.

jmcd22

WKR
I do think point creep (read demand) will slow or maybe reverse in some areas/states. Scary things are happening to our economy right now.

I think so too. I don't think I would have applied in New Mexico had this happened a few weeks ago. It is making me think about even bothering to buy points in Colorado or Nevada. I'm not sure spending that kind of money is smart given everything that is going on. I hate being responsible!

I am in for Elk (GMU 52 B/M/R) draw...am a NM resident / Active Military and (was) moving to Fort Sill, OK. Hopefully everything clears up and able to move closer to home & hopefully, an awesome Elk hunt!

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty sure everyone has already applied.. wish this corona virus would have come out in feb so it would have decreased the number of people applying😉