New Mystery Ranch Packs?

TheTone

WKR
I really like the looks of the new packs. Wish the compression straps on the 45 were the same as those on the 80 though. I don't really get having the side and back compression straps not meet up.

curt514

FNG
The new product emails went out today if you are registered with them. I’m not sure when they were posted on the web. I just saw them last night myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
Looks like they added some padding to their waist belt. I wonder why they dont use some sort of anti slip material on their lumbar pads like everyone else, or the one rios mean pad. I liked the metcalf, and guide light but couldnt get it to stay up.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Looks like they added some padding to their waist belt. I wonder why they dont use some sort of anti slip material on their lumbar pads like everyone else, or the one rios mean pad. I liked the metcalf, and guide light but couldnt get it to stay up.

MR guy told me a few years ago they don’t do the non-slip because Dana felt like it was better to have the pack moving with you and not rubbing your back raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard back from them the other day regarding new frame. Said for now it will only be available with the new model packs, but starting next year they will be moving exclusively to this guide lite MT as they are calling it. Really cant wait until someone gets their hands on one of these new packs to see how they are. Did notice that they are 300d vs 500d, so not sure how much difference that will be in durability...

unfortunately, really wanting a camo option on these so I will not be trying one at this time.

Matt G.

WKR
I really wonder if new bags or frames have the same attachment points as the guide light frame...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
New belt looks nice, shouldn't have ever gone away from good attachment points on the belt the NICE had (the droopy strap when unbuckled on the guidelite wasn't a good idea in my mind as a user of the frame). A glance at the buckles are an initial concern though, those don't appear like they will be compatible with the buckles that MR has been using up to date.

If that is correct this new frame and new packs abandons the previous generations of compatibility.

TheTone

WKR
. A glance at the buckles are an initial concern though, those don't appear like they will be compatible with the buckles that MR has been using up to date.

If that is correct this new frame and new packs abandons the previous generations of compatibility.

Hmm, just noticed that as well. Would be a bummer if they aren't compatible just because of buckles and kinda defeat the current bag only/frame only options if they are just going to move to something new. I'd bet everything else is the same dimension.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm, just noticed that as well. Would be a bummer if they aren't compatible just because of buckles and kinda defeat the current bag only/frame only options if they are just going to move to something new. I'd bet everything else is the same dimension.

if the buckles are the same as those in my 2017 Pintler, it's this version
39bT29S.jpg

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Heard back from them the other day regarding new frame. Said for now it will only be available with the new model packs, but starting next year they will be moving exclusively to this guide lite MT as they are calling it. Really cant wait until someone gets their hands on one of these new packs to see how they are. Did notice that they are 300d vs 500d, so not sure how much difference that will be in durability...

unfortunately, really wanting a camo option on these so I will not be trying one at this time.

I can't wait to see a few reviews as well. I was set on getting a pintler this year but I think I will go this direction instead. Not having the camo option isn't a deal breaker for me. Does anybody know when MR typically releases new models to consumers? I also would be curious if anybody has any insight into the durability of 300d vs 500d as well. Wonder if that move gave them some weight savings?

Trial153

WKR
If it saved weight it sure isnt showing it in the specs. The packs are as heavy as ever .

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if the buckles are the same as those in my 2017 Pintler, it's this version
39bT29S.jpg

That is the waist belt buckle, we were talking about the frame/bag buckles so you can use prior bags that folks have purchased over the years with the new frame or new bags with the old frames. The prior MR bags/frames use the common style of buckle that is compatible with many military packs, kifaru, and also stone glacier (exo uses a different buckle style). There are different brands but they all buckle together fine, ITW GTSR series is one example. The buckle the photo's are showing doesn't appear to be compatible.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
That is the waist belt buckle, we were talking about the frame/bag buckles so you can use prior bags that folks have purchased over the years with the new frame or new bags with the old frames. The prior MR bags/frames use the common style of buckle that is compatible with many military packs, kifaru, and also stone glacier (exo uses a different buckle style). There are different brands but they all buckle together fine, ITW GTSR series is one example. The buckle the photo's are showing doesn't appear to be compatible.

this?

yWMvfmc.jpg

this is same Pintler 2017
0626H3Xl.jpg
3e9POFll.jpg

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes those buckles (where they clip together not where they go on the strap), look closely at them (esp the photos when they are unbuckled) they aren’t the same style.

Trial153

WKR
Yes those buckles (where they clip together not where they go on the strap), look closely at them (esp the photos when they are unbuckled) they aren’t the same style.
Would it be difficult to just change the Male ends on the bags?
I think I am missing something, reason o am asking.

Seems silly to make a new frame and not have compatibility with the current crop of bags....maybe a switch over kit or something similar?

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider

GL vs GL MT
fUkMv7k.jpg
f9InVpQ.jpg

Wow good eye pods8
I'm too busy looking at the bottom of the frame and admiring how beefier it looks, I missed on the different buckles.

wonder if this kind of mod would help...instead of re-stiching, cut the buckle and slide it thru the buckles you have already/or needed from your existing bag, then maybe Loctite the cut portion? Hope that made sense
v87JMhH.jpg

Last edited:

JD619er

WKR
Yeah I dont think it will really be a problem. Just buy some extra and replace the buckles on your older backs. Not too difficult. I bet mystery ranch will even sell them as a replacement if you call them.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The ones on the straps you can swap out fairly easy (though taking autolock buckles on/off looped over straps sucks to be honest) but you would need to change back/forth if you retain old and new frames in your home though (IE kid or spouse has a hand me down... and you want to swap bags/accessories from time to time). There are sewn in buckles on the bag though also which complicate things further, the female loop buckles can be cut off and split bar buckles used instead (or running different buckles on those frame straps). The female buckles on the frame sleeve of the old bag that the lid buckles into you aren't going to readily change though so you'd retain the old male buckles on that side of the lid if using the new frame so if you wanted to buckle the lid into the top of the new frame ever you'd need to have some spare new male buckles on hand to go back forth (BTW the lid buckle arrangement changed also, new lid is all loop females vs the old having adjustable male on one end). Keep in mind the old style autolock buckles on the secondary market are $1.5-2each (no clue what MR will charge for these new ones) which can add up quick if you count up all the buckles on a bag (or multiple bags) to convert to the new frame (probably $20-30 once you factor in shipping).

Long story short yeah you can swap out a bunch of buckles and keep a pile on hand if your household/hunting crew has packs/frames on both sides of the change in design for the most part. Just seems odd to make that design shift after all the years from using a common/proven buckle (same one used on many military bags, including their own currently, and other pack brands). Maybe there is some sort of minor dexterity or retention benefit in the new buckles? Do they hold up to abuse better (even though they are thinner looking in places which seems like they'd actually be weaker and break more easily if stepped on or such)?

I use 2 of their frames currently, the NICE is mainly used for training now and the guidelight I hunt with at times, and my reaction to the buckles candidly is "well that's annoying and I can't really see what functional benefit the change makes to the heritage customer". If I were to get myself the new frame I would end up cutting off all the new buckles and installing the old version, which seems like a needless hassle when I can't readily see a benefit to the user in the new version. Maybe I'm missing something great about the new buckles?

Last edited:
What a great opportunity for the guys who are willing to support the nice and guidelight frames with custom bags. same with the popup.

Also- it looks like those buckles might be compatible with the popup. They may be heading toward one line of bags that works in both of there current frames.

The irritating part is not being able to get the new belt/attachment.