New Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5CM + Precision stock - what now?

I'd use the integral pic rails and good aftermarket rings, there's no way I'd use the chincy mounting solution provided with their bridging scope mount.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I'd use the integral pic rails and good aftermarket rings, there's no way I'd use the chincy mounting solution provided with their bridging scope mount.
Thanks to you and @ResearchinStuff. I had just started down the Optilock path and found at least one reference to it being proprietary, but I guess that is if you think you need Optilock. Glad it's not required. I've got Seekins and Hawkins sitting unused.

The thumb rest looks pretty cheap. Next up, Sako S20 sling with QD attachments, or maybe the Ultraflex? Just wasting time multi-tasking.

Any chance you could spam a bunch of pictures? These look like a slick action, I'd be interested in nabbing one and just leaving it alone. I'm curious how much tweaking it might take to fit one of these into a Tikka inletted stock too, since it seems super similar in concept and I think the main difference is that the S20 is a slightly longer action and maybe has a different trigger location. I also wonder if the Sako trigger would fit/function in a T3x.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Any chance you could spam a bunch of pictures?
Happy to do it when I have it in hand on Monday.
These look like a slick action, I'd be interested in nabbing one and just leaving it alone. I'm curious how much tweaking it might take to fit one of these into a Tikka inletted stock too, since it seems super similar in concept and I think the main difference is that the S20 is a slightly longer action and maybe has a different trigger location. I also wonder if the Sako trigger would fit/function in a T3x.
This might be of interest - https://www.sako.global/series/sako-s20. Not sure about inletting into a Tikka stock. But to me the Sako stock is one of the reasons I purchased it, and I'm trying to make my Tikka stock more like this (via the RokStock).

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks to you and @ResearchinStuff. I had just started down the Optilock path and found at least one reference to it being proprietary, but I guess that is if you think you need Optilock. Glad it's not required. I've got Seekins and Hawkins sitting unused.

The thumb rest looks pretty cheap. Next up, Sako S20 sling with QD attachments, or maybe the Ultraflex? Just wasting time multi-tasking.
Optilocks on my Sako 85 where mediocre at best and the lack of other options on the 85 contributed to my decision to send it down the road.

JGRaider

WKR
Optilocks on my Sako 85 where mediocre at best and the lack of other options on the 85 contributed to my decision to send it down the road.
Always interesting to hear different perspectives on the same product. I've had Optilocks on my Tikka 695 7mag since 1999 and they've been rock solid with well over 1000 rounds, being back and forth to MX a few times, Africa 6 times, and all over W TX and SE NM in an ATV/UTV. It's never bobbled.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Always interesting to hear different perspectives on the same product. I've had Optilocks on my Tikka 695 7mag since 1999 and they've been rock solid with well over 1000 rounds, being back and forth to MX a few times, Africa 6 times, and all over W TX and SE NM in an ATV/UTV. It's never bobbled.
They held well. I had no complaints with that.

My complaints
-Only available in steel
-The two part ring and base added a lot of unnecessary weight
-Mounting position on the 85 dovetail effected the relationship of the scope to the midline of the bore

Perhaps saying mediocre at best is unfairly harsh. However, I would take a pic rail and NF rings over them every time given the two part design.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
They held well. I had no complaints with that.

My complaints
-Only available in steel
-The two part ring and base added a lot of unnecessary weight
-Mounting position on the 85 dovetail effected the relationship of the scope to the midline of the bore

Perhaps saying mediocre at best is unfairly harsh. However, I would take a pic rail and NF rings over them every time given the two part design.
I had a similar thought - I didn’t want to have to buy proprietary rings even if I wanted a longer rail mount option.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious how much tweaking it might take to fit one of these into a Tikka inletted stock too, since it seems super similar in concept and I think the main difference is that the S20 is a slightly longer action and maybe has a different trigger location.

I tried fitting it onto a McMillan (tikka Inlet off my T1X) and it almost fit, the base of the barrel was too wide and one of the action screws was off by like .5 of an inch and the trigger location was off.

not worth modifying with a dremel as its carbon fiber.

try Zeiss Precision rings never tried NF but they seem legit per forums.

jahaze

FNG
Sako makes a 20-inch barrel for the s-20, if we could only get one in the USA. I have a suppressor for my .270, and it's over 30" long with the standard 25" barrel.

I'd love to buy the camo stock set, but it's just for aesthetics, so not worth the extra $$$, may consider hydro dipping instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Any chance you could spam a bunch of pictures?
I'm not sure if you were serious, but here are some pictures from my "unboxing" after I brought her home today. I still need to take a more appropriate picture of the full setup - after I get an adapter for the Javelin, mount a scope, and the TBAC brake and can…. Then the 3HGR sling, etc. etc.IMG_0851.jpegIMG_0852.jpegIMG_0853.jpegIMG_0854.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Stop causing me to covet. You are damning my soul. :mad::ROFLMAO:

Hnthrdr

WKR
This forum man… snagged one in 6.5prc… don’t have one and thought I would dip the toes since I don’t plan on cutting the barrel and you can’t do a whole lot with the stock I’ll leave it be. Will mostly be my “long range” shooter might hunt with it sometimes we shall see. Anyone with the prc have any factory ammo that yours loves?

Lando

WKR
I have some pretty bad news. For me. I've found out that Sako has some S20 "accessories." Hmm - the scope mount needs to be investigated. And that thumb rest - wonder if that could be helpful? And that case that appears would hold the S20 and both stocks. And some other stuff. Also should be over analyzed, and price alerts set. And a few more magazines and some dummy rounds.

WTH is wrong with me.
Don't buy the Sako Rings, they're good, but like was said, I bought them and then just used the integrated pic rail because it's just more weight.

amassi

WKR
This forum man… snagged one in 6.5prc… don’t have one and thought I would dip the toes since I don’t plan on cutting the barrel and you can’t do a whole lot with the stock I’ll leave it be. Will mostly be my “long range” shooter might hunt with it sometimes we shall see. Anyone with the prc have any factory ammo that yours loves?

147 eld-m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Don't buy the Sako Rings, they're good, but like was said, I bought them and then just used the integrated pic rail because it's just more weight.
Got it. I already had an extra set of Seekins rings that I used. I have somewhat held back on more accessories. But the transport cases seem nice. Would love any input from anyone who has either size.

The ammo delivery logistics are not working out. Larger batch will probably be here after the Mrs fwafwow trip, and almost certainly when I’m out of town.

Lando

WKR
Got it. I already had an extra set of Seekins rings that I used. I have somewhat held back on more accessories. But the transport cases seem nice. Would love any input from anyone who has either size.

The ammo delivery logistics are not working out. Larger batch will probably be here after the Mrs fwafwow trip, and almost certainly when I’m out of town.
I hadn't seen the cases, now you've got me a bit intrigued. If anyone has pics with the S20 in the large, I'd love to see them too.