Oregon elk hunter shoots wolf in self defense

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
We are being surrounded by idiots... I just don't get it anymore. Glad he killed the wolf and not the other way around

Marble

WKR
I hunted that area last year. I didn't see any wolves, but saw their tracks in a few areas. Talked to another hunter who saw one there.

Talking to a rancher in the area, he said he regularly has issues with them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Idaboy

WKR
The House just passed Lauren Boebert's bill to codify delisting of wolves in the Lower 48. This will be huge, but I expect Biden will veto it even if the Senate somehow passes it.
While on the surface that seems like a reasonable bill, I don't think I want legislators deciding what I can and cannot harvest. Instead, they should introduce laws that make wildlife agencies (fish and game, forest service, dept of interior etc) push management plans forward. Otherwise whimsical laws will be made or repealed, based on politics and not on the north American management plan.

Jaquomo

WKR
While on the surface that seems like a reasonable bill, I don't think I want legislators deciding what I can and cannot harvest. Instead, they should introduce laws that make wildlife agencies (fish and game, forest service, dept of interior etc) push management plans forward. Otherwise whimsical laws will be made or repealed, based on politics and not on the north American management plan.
Would you rather have activist judges decide, like they do now? You apparently don't understand how wolf politics work. USFWS delisted wolves in 2020, giving management authority to the states. So the wolfies went judge shopping and found one to overturn that Federal agency ruling and relist them. This proposed law is an attempt to take it out of the hands of judges and do exactly what you suggest.

Meanwhile in referendum states, wildlife management is totally in the hands of urban voters, swayed by big money media campaigns. The idea of a law granting the "right to hunt and fish" is a feel-good joke. Being allowed to hunt rabbits and fish for carp satisfies that law.

Last edited:

Idaboy

WKR
Would you rather have activist judges decide, like they do now? You apparently don't understand how wolf politics work. USFWS delisted wolves in 2020, giving management authority to the states. So the wolfies went judge shopping and found one to overturn that Federal agency ruling and relist them. This proposed law is an attempt to take it out of the hands of judges and do exactly what you suggest.

Meanwhile in referendum states, wildlife management is totally in the hands of urban voters, swayed by big money media campaigns. The idea of a law granting the "right to hunt and fish" is a feel-good joke. Being allowed to hunt rabbits and fish for carp satisfies that law.
Totally get it....I would rather have neither decide. I would like to see the management agencies of state and federal work together and allow states to manage their game. Didn't say anything about recommending judges decide. Seems like the process needs to be improved

taskswap

WKR
Totally get it....I would rather have neither decide. I would like to see the management agencies of state and federal work together and allow states to manage their game. Didn't say anything about recommending judges decide. Seems like the process needs to be improved
I agree, but for this to work for something like wolves they would have to cooperate a lot better than they already do. They range so far you'd need something like a "western states compact" with a coordinated management plan.

Laramie

WKR
Anyone else surprised by this?
"There were only 489 wolf attacks worldwide between 2002 and 2020. .....67 were considered to be predatory" I guess wolf attacks don't make the news like Grizzly attacks do.

I've heard the mantra that healthy wolves don't attack people. Like very very rare, maybe last instance during Yukon gold rush times. I haven't researched it but that's what greenies say.

Laramie

WKR
I've heard the mantra that healthy wolves don't attack people. Like very very rare, maybe last instance during Yukon gold rush times. I haven't researched it but that's what greenies say.
That is what I have heard as well but that data listed sure seems to contradict that. Maybe they are more aggressive on other continents?

Wrench

WKR
I'm not afraid of them and I don't think they'll remove all the animals.....but with handcuffs on harvest it makes it hard on critters.

And, let's be honest....they're hard to kill and yet our low tech forefathers did their level best to eradicate them. There must have been a decent reason.

I googled and it seems there are definitely more frequent wolf attacks than I was aware of but still pretty rare on humans. Dogs on the other hand..

ozyclint

WKR
I agree, but for this to work for something like wolves they would have to cooperate a lot better than they already do. They range so far you'd need something like a "western states compact" with a coordinated management plan.
Good luck. The United States aren't as united as you think. To an outsider looking in it seems more like a union of 52 little countries.

And with a president who can just veto a law passed by both houses. What's up with that? Sounds a bit dictatorial.