The do it all self-defense pistol

TheGDog

WKR
I'd say look at what's the toughest critter you're possible to encounter... THEN... get an idea for how much weight you're okay with carrying around while you hike up brutal hills during your hunting pursuits. Then decide for yourself how much capacity are you okay with shedding in the pursuit of lightening the load?

For instance, I'm in SoCal, and I believe here a person would be just fine with a 9mm in +P loading with something like LeHigh Xtremes (Fluid Monolithics).

But... like if I lived someplace where people routinely tagged Black Bears in the above 400-450Lbs category, I'd probably feel a lot better with 10mm Auto or .44 Mag Ultralite and I'd want least at 4" barrel to give it a chance to gain decent velocity.

Or.. like if you lived in Arid/Semi-Arid Habitat's such as Mojave desert, a .380acp would be fine as a sidearm since MtnLion would be about the largest possible threat.

brolo

FNG
P365 XMACRO…and it’s what I use for all now

Hardcast for woods, federal HST otherwise. For 15 years, I used a kimber 1911 .45 for EDC that I could shoot well. I live, work, and play in brown bear habitat, had a .44 mag for a decade, then got a glock 20 I was really comfortable with.

I put more 9mm on target faster than my previous options. I haven’t seen data to support the notion that .44 mag, .45 acp, or 10mm terminal wounding causes faster big bear death than 9mm

Either the 365XL or 365X Macro. Can easily carry concealed, excellent ergos, both have exceptional mag capacity, and with proper ammunition choices, 9mm is adequate for personal defense and the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springfield Armory XD-40 sub-compact 40 S&W. I've carried this for years in an ankle holster and/or a belt holster. I really like the pistol and it shoots great plus the 40 S&W is a really good all around cartridge.
Springfield XD-3" Sub-Compact 40 S&W
1710439324844.png

Last edited:
Now if you want a bit more pop in your pistol this is what I would choose. It's a little bit large for EDC from the house to the street to the woods, but not overly so. I have a buddy who has one and it shoots great and recoil is not excessive. I find it's not much more than my 40 S&W in the previous post.
Springfield Armory XD-M Elite 3.8" Compact OSP 10mm handgun.
1710439854979.png

e0006f233dd15a6361f1ace7b62dd7ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
Glock 20 10mm.
Shoot 40 s&w ammo for practice & general self defense.
Shoot Underwood 10mm ammo for grizzly & felons.

BP

Rich M

WKR
Ima gonna date myself:

Colt .45 1911 fits the bill and is an old classic.
357 mag revolver 5 or 6 shot, SS. Shoot 38 specials all day long and use 357 mags when want to.
Both of these are kinda heavy BUT they shoot where pointed and go bang when the trigger is pulled.
Nothing fancy.

There is nothing wrong with a little pocket gun either - tuck it into your pack belt, you'll not notice you have it until you need it. Something like an LCP will stop a wolf or mtn lion or whatever.

There is nothing wrong with whatever you have now. There is no magic unicorn - find something you like that shoots nice for you and run with it.

xsn10s

WKR
I don't really have a do all, more of a rotation for different circumstances. S&W 686 mostly for fishing in snake county, or when I won't be having a rifle with me in the woods. EDC rotates between G23 IWB and Hellcat for pocket carry.