Rifle shooting fundamentals

Bugaboo

FNG
Hey Guys! Brand new Hunter/Shooter here, also new to the Forum.

I was reading along in the Forum for some time, but find all the threads that currently exist are either for long range shooting or already experienced shooters.

Basically I'm looking for Resources (Books,Videos, Articles) about the "Fundamentals or Marksmanship" or, what are the Basics for shooting a Firearm. I've been exposed to shooting firearms for the last few years, shot a bunch of gophers with a .22, and got a few rounds through a 222 and a 30-06 as well. I noticed that I already developed a flinch after just shooting the 30-06 for a few times, and did some reading about proper trigger control etc, but I'm missing something like a step by step guide that I can read/learn to bypass the time until my Firearms License gets approved!

I was looking online, thought there would be a ton of material to find, like with Archery but I find surprisingly little about Fundamentals!

Thanks for the Patience with the Newbie already!!

OP
B

Bugaboo

FNG
Couldn't find how to edit the Post to add some stuff that came to mind later!
I don't really have the resources currently to take shooting classes, which obviously would be the best option I guess

crich

WKR
Welcome to the forum. There are a few really good threads mixed in here somewhere on this. If I can find them Ill link them. Not only fundamentals but some good drills posted by @Formidilosus

crich

WKR
Couldn't find how to edit the Post to add some stuff that came to mind later!
I don't really have the resources currently to take shooting classes, which obviously would be the best option I guess
Im on the mobile site but this is what my edit button looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410_200922_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410_200922_Chrome.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
B

Bugaboo

FNG
Im on the mobile site but this is what my edit button looks like.
Still can't find it, but thanks. do you use that tapatalk app or are you just on the mobile browser?
Welcome to the forum. There are a few really good threads mixed in here somewhere on this. If I can find them Ill link them. Not only fundamentals but some good drills posted by @Formidilosus
Thanks a lot! I read one thread by Formidilosus yesterday about the Rifle drill with shooting offhand at 200 yards and then continuing to smaller circles. Absolutely Interesting read, but I feel like it's already too advanced for me.. You have to picture me as a Complete Beginner. maybe 10 shots with a Big caliber and 100 with a rimfire is all the experience I have! Trying to find stuff about NPOI and Trigger squeeze, Breathing techniques is where I'm at currently.

LoggerDan

WKR
United States Marine Corps marksmanship doctorine. The fundamentals of being a rifleman. Handloading, expensive scopes, fancy rifles and benchrest will not do you much good.
B…reath control
R…elax
A…im
S…top
S…queeze.

Practice sitting, offhand and against a rest, not on top of one.

OP
B

Bugaboo

FNG
United States Marine Corps marksmanship doctorine. The fundamentals of being a rifleman. Handloading, expensive scopes, fancy rifles and benchrest will not do you much good.
B…reath control
R…elax
A…im
S…top
S…queeze.

Practice sitting, offhand and against a rest, not on top of one.
Awesome, thanks!

If you’re looking for a structured approach … the online courses offered by these guys are really good. They have material for people just starting out, up through advanced shooters.

If you’re more interested in pursuing topics as they become relevant to you … there are a lot of resources that should be able to meet your needs.

I’ve learned, and am continuing to learn, from quite a few different sources.

From my perspective, I’d recommend them in the following order.
1) reading books
2) online courses
3) podcasts
4) in-person classes
5) consulting a Magic 8-ball
6) YouTube
7)
8) forum posts

crich

WKR

Sift through these threads and see if you can find something applicable. Im only on the mobile browser. Im a creature of habit and refuse to switch.

Rimfire is the perfect starting point to avoid bad habits and the effects of recoil. Next time you go shoot think of it as a training tool rather than "plinking". Solid breathing and deliberate smooth straight back trigger is a good start. Much like archery, accept the fact that most of the time your sight picture will never be completely still.

Wrench

WKR
Look for some podcasts by Joel Turner. Titles will be similar or contain "iron mind". Don't be afraid if they are aimed at archery, it will still apply to firearms. He helps get in your brain.

Recoil management is paramount. Don't watch guys shoot their 15 pound gamer guns off a tripod if you're trying to apply the skills to a 7 pound 06'. Look at how linear recoil is put to use in bench competitions and consider how you can apply that in the field. Most guns will have some muzzle rise that must be controlled, and stock designs tend to suck for recoil control.

OP
B

Bugaboo

FNG
Look for some podcasts by Joel Turner. Titles will be similar or contain "iron mind". Don't be afraid if they are aimed at archery, it will still apply to firearms. He helps get in your brain.

Recoil management is paramount. Don't watch guys shoot their 15 pound gamer guns off a tripod if you're trying to apply the skills to a 7 pound 06'. Look at how linear recoil is put to use in bench competitions and consider how you can apply that in the field. Most guns will have some muzzle rise that must be controlled, and stock designs tend to suck for recoil control.
Thanks, I read some of him and watched him when I learned how to shoot my bow, it’s helpful for sure!

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a tikka .223 . Mount a reliable scope on it based on the thread outlining that practice here. Buy as much ammo as you can afford. Find the thread on here about equipment vs. Practice. Read it. Absorb it. Print off the attached targets. Find a 100 yd range. Shoot all of your ammo working on the things outlined in said thread. This was the single best thing I have ever done for my shooting skills. I wish I had found this info 20 years ago.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Old video, but the content is good. This deals with SOME of the things you will want to practice.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Ignore some of the marketing comments...The information is good stuff.

kickemall

WKR
Snipers Hide and Wolf Precision both have lots of info., podcasts and online shooting courses as well as in person. Probably more out there also. I saw Modern Day Sniper listed above, can't go wrong with them either.

Snipers Hide and Wolf Precision both have lots of info., podcasts and online shooting courses as well as in person. Probably more out there also. I saw Modern Day Sniper listed above, can't go wrong with them either.

This. Snipers Hide online training is probably the best out there aside from attending courses by top insutructors.