Small diameter arrow question

Goint to be purchasing a carbon defiant, 70# here this spring, and trying to get ideas for arrows.

Going to try the micro diameter again after many attenpts to find a suitable outsert.

Thinking of using FMJ Deep Six, or the Gold Tip Pierce Platinum.

Which outsert would u use for the FMJ (too many non D6 broadheads and dont want to have to buy more)?

I like the idea of GT's new outsert system, but am hesitant after hearing about many concentricity issues.

Thanks

jmez

WKR
I used some of the Kaos Kinetics and didn't like the outsert/ballistic collar system if that is what you are talking about.

They don't pull out of a bag target worth a crap. The collars are very thin and fragile at the end. After about two weeks of shooting the tops of the collars were peeling down and chipping out. I didn't glue mine on but they must have collected material between the collar and the arrow because I couldn't get any of them off after shooting them a while.

I really like the 0.204" inside diameter arrow size and either victory top hat original stainless or black eagle stainless inserts. If you want more weight just put a HIT insert aluminum or brass in first when installing the inserts. I have not found a reliable insert/outsert for the 0.166" ID arrows. I would highly recommend you look at another arrow besides the FMJ because they can and do bend easily and I have found are not as durable as just a standard axis arrow. I am going to look for some rampage shafts this winter and have been shooting Easton axis up until now.

Trial153

WKR
I really like the 0.204" inside diameter arrow size and either victory top hat original stainless or black eagle stainless inserts. If you want more weight just put a HIT insert aluminum or brass in first when installing the inserts. I have not found a reliable insert/outsert for the 0.166" ID arrows. I would highly recommend you look at another arrow besides the FMJ because they can and do bend easily and I have found are not as durable as just a standard axis arrow. I am going to look for some rampage shafts this winter and have been shooting Easton axis up until now.

I second this ^^. .166 ID arrows are off my list because all the outsert systems. I have seen a one that gives me peace of mind and long term durability.

For my money I like .209 with brass hits and flanged footings.

Spartans, Rampages, ACC's all get the nod over anything .166.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I shot my GTs all summer totaling around 600 arrows launched. I never had any issues other than losing vanes if I blew through the back stop. Practiced to 90 yds and had the better accuracy than the Beman Hunters standard diameter shafts I've used the last three years.

Last edited:
OP
Jacob Chapman
With the Gold Tips, sounds like their outsert system isnt having issues with them spinning straight, any nock fit problems? I really like the small diameter shafts when shooting in the wind

Lawnboi

WKR
I really enjoy my carbon injexions. I'm no expert by any means, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
Iv got a dozen in .400 that Iv been using. Iv always liked the hit insert, and have shot fmj, axis and kinetics prior to switching to the micro diameter.

The little arrows are tough. I personally would not go with the fmj, cause you do need to be more careful with bending. And if you look at the spec, a .340, if that works for you, has some good weight in the straight carbon variety.

My only complaint wih deep six is that Easton has not built a brass insert for them yet. I have the same bow, and plan on bumping it up to max poundage come spring, I plan on building some 340 injexions with 2 inserts up front which should get me right to where I want to be for weight. If they hold up like my current injexions are, I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

I havnt seen a downfall from the micro shafts as compared to the slightly bigger x size shafts when running a hit insert. I'm not a fan of outserts and Likly won't switch unless the deep six gives me a reason to, so far that hasn't happened.

Beendare

WKR
You guys are hitting on the problems with the skinny shafts- the outserts....and its a big problem...so much so I won't shoot them.

i shot for Beman in the 90's and I shot those skinny shafts for many years until they discontinued. I find it funny they have been revived-with the exact same issues as before. The shaft itself is great....the components are the problem. The inserts just align better than an outsert....thus I like the 5mm shafts.

You really see the sloppy tolerances when you go to shoot BH's. An insert contacts the shaft for the entire length...outsert is only partial.

Last edited:
I've been shooting Goldtip Kinetic Pierce with great results! Very accurate arrows and tough! The outsert and ballistic collar have held up great!

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I am running Black Eagle Rampage 300s out of my BowTech Carbon Icon at 76# and that arrow has been outstanding. Out of the 2.5 dozen I purchased, I has a single one that didn't shoot spot for spot simply screwing on 100 NAP Kill Zones out to 80. The consistency is outstanding and reasonably durable.

With outserts it is a good idea to add something like 3 inches of welding rod to the inside of the shaft. With half in, half outs it is good to go over the top of the arrow and outsert with an aluminum arrow. It's a little work but it makes for a about a failproof arrow as you can get.

ontarget7

WKR
Still no outserts for me on the micro diameter shafts.
The Carbon Injexions with 2 D6 HIT inserts and Solid 100 grain head is a great choice.

You can also look at the Helix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also shoot the VAP 300 spine with the Alum, not SS, inserts. My arrows are at 396 gr, around 14% foc, and fly consistent and haven't had an issue with them. I shoot a Full Throttle at 310-320. With that said I will be switching over to the Black Eagles as they are 11 gpi vs the 8.6 on the VAP, this gives me a better KE ( right at 100) and FOC. I am hoping the VAP inserts will fit these Black Eagles micros??
The arrows from black eagle are a bit more consistent I am hearing??