Swarovski EL - Overhyped?

OP
T

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on the fence between the EL’s and the Zeiss SF in 10x42. On paper and from reading reviews, I’m liking the Zeiss, but it’s a lot easier picking up a lightly used pair of EL’s and saving a good bit of coin. SF’s come up every once in a while, but not like the EL’s. I just can’t find anywhere with examples of both to demo so I’m picking blind.

I’m on the fence between the EL’s and the Zeiss SF in 10x42. On paper and from reading reviews, I’m liking the Zeiss, but it’s a lot easier picking up a lightly used pair of EL’s and saving a good bit of coin. SF’s come up every once in a while, but not like the EL’s. I just can’t find anywhere with examples of both to demo so I’m picking blind.
I'm trying to make the same decision. I was able to demo the Zeiss and liked the feel better than the EL's. I found the eye box more natural with the Zeiss. I couldn't tell a big difference in image quality but was inside a store.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m jealous of the guys who prefer the UHDs.

Last week my wife and I were sitting on a glassing knob looking at a golden eagle. She was using 8.5x ELs and I was looking through my 10x SLCs. She was commenting on the critter the eagle was standing on top of and I absolutely could not see it. I moved over and got behind her glass and could see a rabbit clear as day. ELs are not overhyped. I do believe there are many people out there who cannot tell the difference between good glass and extremely good glass though.

OP
T

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
I posted a WTB just now for a pair of SF’s. If none come out of the works for a price I can stomach, I’ll likely just snag some EL’s. It seems they do actually get a lot of love. I was just unsettled thinking there were a lot of folks who bought the Swarovski name and the product ended up disappointing and getting rehomed.

6.5x284

WKR
I posted a WTB just now for a pair of SF’s. If none come out of the works for a price I can stomach, I’ll likely just snag some EL’s. It seems they do actually get a lot of love. I was just unsettled thinking there were a lot of folks who bought the Swarovski name and the product ended up disappointing and getting rehomed.

Careful! That’s prime scamming territory there! Tread safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
Careful! That’s prime scamming territory there! Tread safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohh yes, I’ve had a couple on my other WTB’s trying to run game. FNG accounts, like mine, with poorly photoshop’d images from other ads on other forums.

The EL was a great binocular when the NL didn't exist and it cost $2700 in like 2019 money.

It's the same binocular for $2000 in 2023 money. People are selling them because the pre-HD ones are between 24-14 years old, and the NLs are out now. There are guys who've been running a preHD EL for 20+ years or an HD Swaro for as many as 14, and the NL is a better bino.

If the EL was "Overhyped" it probably wouldn't have basically been the standard for binoculars for the last 20+ years. Just food for thought.

OP
T

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
The EL was a great binocular when the NL didn't exist and it cost $2700 in like 2019 money.

It's the same binocular for $2000 in 2023 money. People are selling them because the pre-HD ones are between 24-14 years old, and the NLs are out now. There are guys who've been running a preHD EL for 20+ years or an HD Swaro for as many as 14, and the NL is a better bino.

If the EL was "Overhyped" it probably wouldn't have basically been the standard for binoculars for the last 20+ years. Just food for thought.
Now wasn’t that easier and more helpful than LOL?

LOL

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your same boat last spring. Looked through EL and SF side by side and preferred the SF. Saw some good priced pairs that went through classifieds over the years. Waited all summer with no luck, and finally my wife went to scheels and bought them for me. Worth every penny. I even looked through NLs this summer and liked the SFs more

I am extremely happy with my 12x50 EL's and will have them until they put me in the ground. I have no reason to "upgrade".
I feel the same UNLESS they come out with a new ranging model! Ha! See I am crazy too!

Nothing good comes easy. Haha

Are you using Swaro right now, or in the past? What were your impressions?

I've run EL 8.5x42 SVs, NL 8x42s, NL 12x42s, and EL Range TA 10x42s.

They're all great, the NLs are a full step above the EL. If you like the EL, don't pick up an NL.

Firehawk

WKR
I've run EL 8.5x42 SVs, NL 8x42s, NL 12x42s, and EL Range TA 10x42s.

They're all great, the NLs are a full step above the EL. If you like the EL, don't pick up an NL.
And now I am running an EL I picked up from you. It is a stellar binocular that has left me not even having a desire to look at others (except I still do because I have an issue:ROFLMAO:). Seriously though, I haven't been this "at peace" with my binos in a VERY long time, and I am running a 2014 EL 8.5x42 I bought here from SJAOAF. They are completely outstanding.

CorbLand

WKR
You cant compare "best" or "overhyped" based on what you see or dont see in the classifieds.

Thats like saying "I have seen more Tacoma's broken down in the mountains than I have seen VW Passat, therefore the Passat is a better vehicle." Yes, I have seen a Passat on one of the worst FS roads I have ever driven.

I sold optics for a long time. People buy way more Swaro then they do Zeiss or Leica. Based on sheer numbers alone, there will be more Swaros for sale on the used market because there are so many out there.

Like all optics, the best thing you can do is look through them and pick the pair that works best for you.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
As stated by others, try to look through as many pair as you can, if available. I jumped into a pair of 8.5x42 ELs and love them. Wanted some 10x42s and stumbled into a steal on a pair of used Meopta MeoStar 10x42s. My eyes can't really discern much difference between the two. Compared the ELs to a pair of Mostar 8x56s, hoping they would be better. Wound up selling them and keeping the ELs as I find the ergonomics much better.