What longbows should I look at?

Btaylor

WKR
So is jumping forward the same as hand shock? If so, every bow must have it. From all the information I am gleaning on shooting a trad bow, you want the bow to "jump to target." But I'm just getting started so I have no idea.
The good bows all have hand shock, you just cant feel it. ;)

Beendare

WKR
Im more Impressed that Wrench is a fellow Lefty….grin

if you ever see a used one of those 2 pc Whistlers for sale….let me know.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a couple pics of my Caribow Silver Fox which is my favorite longbow of the ones I've shot. My next choice would be a Thunderhorn 3 Piece Heartstopper, unfortunately I don't think you can order one and they're pretty hard to find, although he does sell a stock bow from time to time.

dWoCI9N.jpg

Broken down
wXPE4Zr.jpg

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here's a couple pics of my Caribow Silver Fox which is my favorite longbow of the ones I've shot. My next choice would be a Thunderhorn 3 Piece Heartstopper, unfortunately I don't think you can order one and they're pretty hard to find, although he does sell a stock bow from time to time.

dWoCI9N.jpg

Broken down
wXPE4Zr.jpg

That kicks ass man!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
So is jumping forward the same as hand shock? If so, every bow must have it. From all the information I am gleaning on shooting a trad bow, you want the bow to "jump to target." But I'm just getting started so I have no idea.
No jumping fwd not the same as hand shock, but the bow can’t do one without the other. Dissipation of energy

mattflint

FNG
So far Ive only had hands on a thunderchild. Love the way it shoots. Its on its way back to Jim right now due to horn inlays coming apart. Hopefully just a one off issue.
Being the middle of hunting season I panicked and got a rh 60” 1pc 54@28 whistler on the way. Hopefully have that in hand late this week early next.
After handling the thunderchild and spending some time in the mountains with it. I think short r/d longbows are it for me. If the whistler proves to be as pleasant to shoot at 31” as the thunderchild I think Ill be ordering a takedown model.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So far Ive only had hands on a thunderchild. Love the way it shoots. Its on its way back to Jim right now due to horn inlays coming apart. Hopefully just a one off issue.
Being the middle of hunting season I panicked and got a rh 60” 1pc 54@28 whistler on the way. Hopefully have that in hand late this week early next.
After handling the thunderchild and spending some time in the mountains with it. I think short r/d longbows are it for me. If the whistler proves to be as pleasant to shoot at 31” as the thunderchild I think Ill be ordering a takedown model.

I’m pretty much settled on the Whistler at this point, I’m going to call them if I get a free minute this week and place an order.

I’m definetly going with a takedown, I’m up in the air about the 58 or 60” but I’ll likely get it built 55lbs.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
It was build by Abe. I wasn't even aware someone else took over the company so I don't know anything about what's happening there. I just looked at the website and it still has Abe's contact info but has a new physical address.

oldgoat

WKR
I’m pretty much settled on the Whistler at this point, I’m going to call them if I get a free minute this week and place an order.

I’m definetly going with a takedown, I’m up in the air about the 58 or 60” but I’ll likely get it built 55lbs.
If your draw is sub 29" don't be afraid of the Pika, but talk to Dan, his opinion matters most, Jered knows his stuff too though!

GLB

WKR

thinhorn_AK Longbows are cool and a joy to shoot. I prefer to shoot them over recurves for the most part. I highly recommend that you get a leather wrap on the grip of whatever longbow you order if they offer it.​

oldgoat

WKR

thinhorn_AK Longbows are cool and a joy to shoot. I prefer to shoot them over recurves for the most part. I highly recommend that you get a leather wrap on the grip of whatever longbow you order if they offer it.​

This x100! Toelke offers Beaver Tail and another leather, not sure what to call the other one, but it's more supple, I have the second on both the Toelkes I bought new! I once shot a bow with beaver tail, think it was Big Jim's and the leather was very rigid and kind of slick or slippery feeling, that turned me off to Beaver Tail on a grip, but since then I shot a Super D with beaver tail and it was fine, they wrapped the grip at no extra charge, BUT not sure a grip wrap is possible with a 2 piece???

GLB

WKR
They should be able to do a 2 piece with a leather wrap. One of my Robertsons is a 2 piece with leather.

Attachments

• 6627E46E-D9DF-47AC-8552-DB142194B748.jpeg
    6627E46E-D9DF-47AC-8552-DB142194B748.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 12

Easy to go too short. Hard to go too long. At 29.5" you definitely want the longer one.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
They should be able to do a 2 piece with a leather wrap. One of my Robertsons is a 2 piece with leather.
I just a couple days ago got a 3rd Robertson with a tan grip. Not so sure how it’ll hold up though. Might add character might look sloppy. My other 2 are black, one beaver

Attachments

• 21398CAE-22A6-4D26-8270-1299FBBB2E2B.jpeg
    21398CAE-22A6-4D26-8270-1299FBBB2E2B.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: GLB