What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

sasquatch

WKR
I’ve owned Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Honda, and Toyota. My driveway is full of Toyota’s and a 2006 5.9 diesel Ram for towing.
I could go buy a new rig tomorrow if I wanted. It’s no accident my rigs are all Toyota 4-runners, and Tacoma’s and then a Dodge of near the last year of the 5.9 common rail.

The newer Toyota’s don’t seem as good to me, though still better than all the other brands. They are just built better, engineered for longevity compared to other brands.

Jeeps, Fords, ect.. are literally designed to fail at 150k. Tons of plastic, even in critical parts, thin stamped steel and aluminum running gear, engines that never seem to stand the test of time, ect... Sure they have cushy interiors and lots of technology, but that’s it.

1st gen Tacoma’s and 3rd gen 4-runners are to me near the top of automotive manufacturing. Plenty of power, easy to work on and maintain, cushy enough for daily driving, yet ruggedly reliable for the back roads.

Yes, folks ask $8k+ for them, and that seems steep. But tell me, what other rig could you buy for even double that money that’s worth a shit?

I currently drive a damn near unicorn. 1998 4-runner 220k(much newer JDM motor), 5spd, factory locker, no sun roof, 99 intake(MAF), and center console.
Tundra brakes and suspension up front, OME in the rear with modified panhard bar mounts, JBA upper arms. All rubber bushings replaced.

I have maybe 9k into my rig and I consider it money well spent.

I’m going on 300k miles on my 01 Silverado. It’s never missed a beat yet and I drive it all over the National forest in the south hunting, fishing and towing boats etc,

I’ve only replaced alternator, window motor, and water pump.

My truck must have missed the fail memo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Original coil and leaf springs, engine mounts, dash lights, water pump, no oil leaks, shocks, no new power steering hoses, radiator, alternator, windshield wiper motor/tank, suspension parts, bushings, ac? How do you know what previous owner had repaired that owned it 22 whole years before you? Your truck is 6 years older than mine with WELL over double my miles and yet "original everything"? What is your definition of original? Hasn't been replaced? Shazam
Your right billions, that was an over generation. I’ve actually replaced several of those items lifespan items. I was mainly referring to the drivetrain and some of those often replaced items that have lasted unusually long- owner specifically mentioned the muffler and windshield. Another thing about Toyota’s of that era- the plastic bits of the interior fall apart in your hands. Really have to baby those!

I’m going on 300k miles on my 01 Silverado. It’s never missed a beat yet and I drive it all over the National forest in the south hunting, fishing and towing boats etc,

2013 Silverado here at 120k miles. I had to replace the oil pump and sender unit 2x in the past 6 months and it's starting to have small problems that are annoying. I've actually considered replacing it with a Tacoma but the bed size scares me away.

Same here. 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 288k on it. Engine and Transmission are still strong and it goes west two trips each fall. Will be making a family trip to Gatlinburg this summer from Arkansas.

Mine missed the memo also

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Me and my family all drive some sort of Toyota or Lexus 4WD vehicles. One 4runner, One Tundra, 3 Lexus GX , plus just sold one Tundra , and an older Taco not too long ago , plus wrecked another older Tundra just traded a Rav4 and had a high milage Prius. We've also owned an 80's Land Cruiser.

For us, in general, they age better . Hondas age pretty well , but they don't offer much with a 4 low, or that can tow much beyond small trailers. We had good luck with the Isuzu Trooper a long time ago, and decent luck with a Nissan Frontier (but it started costing a lot at 150K). We've had a couple Chevy's and a Jeep Grand , and a Ford F350 and another Nissan, and all had more issues (Engine replacement in Nissan Titan, Ford was true to the Found on Road Dead .. , one Chevy was AWD with the worst transmission ever for mountain roads,

The Toyotas , have in general been solid. and we trust them. The Lexus GX is a capable vehicle that sometimes you can find a good deal on . My son got an 04 with 180K that was pretty much like new for under 10K. He sold his Taco, with more miles, added a lift and some other stuff and came out way ahead.

sasquatch

WKR
2013 Silverado here at 120k miles. I had to replace the oil pump and sender unit 2x in the past 6 months and it's starting to have small problems that are annoying. I've actually considered replacing it with a Tacoma but the bed size scares me away.

I also have a 2014 Sierra. It’s my “nice” truck

I’m just breaking 90k. Had a ground wire issue, it was loose and blinking the electronics early on.

Since then I have had to replace the steering kit. I think it was just the pump but they replaced it all under warranty.

Def more issues than the old one per miles etc but I’d say doing good so far.

I don’t expect the newer vehicles of any brand to be like the older ones. The push for profitability and fuel economy is making them built weaker and weaker.

I will say I believe Toyota has stood their ground on making them durable first and foremost. It’s why their fuel economy suck lol. They are sticking to what’s proven and it’s some king for them.

I just don’t like when the fan boys act like any other truck is incapable. It’s a lot to do with how well you take care of them.

Billinsd

WKR
My Duramax gets me where I’m going without fail?

I can’t see spending $45,000 on a Tacoma to take it where I could easily take an ATV but I do like Tacomas. I just wouldn’t beat my truck up like that
Right!! I'd like to buy a quad or side by side myself, but can't justify it yet. A big truck and quad or side by side is in my future, when I retire in a few years.

WRO

WKR
Right!! I'd like to buy a quad or side by side myself, but can't justify it yet. A big truck and quad or side by side is in my future, when I retire in a few years.
I've had both, I'll take my taco with AC, locking doors, and a radio.

If not I'll take my motorcycle..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had both, I'll take my taco with AC, locking doors, and a radio.

If not I'll take my motorcycle..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dirt bikes are very efficient. When I used to be on the rescue team we would deploy them first. They could get places in 15 minutes that it would take 45 in a Taco .. hauling ass with no regard .. or 45 or more in a Land Cruiser / Tundra / whatever else we deployed. By the way, we use to do probably just as many rescues from ATV / Quads as we used to do climbing rescues and really no rescues on dirt bikes.

I can take my lifted GX most places an ATV can go .. I have accidentally ended up on ATV trails a couple times ..

sasquatch

WKR
GM and Chrysler took a bailout. Shouldn't exist anymore.

While I’m not for handouts, so did all the banks.
Should they not exist with the money we all had in checking accounts?

Billinsd

WKR
While I’m not for handouts, so did all the banks.
Should they not exist with the money we all had in checking accounts?
No, the banks should not have gotten a bailout. Some banks would still exist, don't they teach capitalism is history classes anymore?The FDIC insures up to $250,000.

SoNV

FNG
When I was looking for a new truck the Tacos had a 2-3k price premium over 4runners so that’s what’s I ended up with.

I’m at 214k and still going strong, just change the oil every 5k miles and do all fluids every year and you will be good to go. Preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
No. No one or nothing should get bailouts!! Our children and grandchildren cannot afford to pay it back.
I disagree, not on principle, but in reality. The fact is that wallstreet banks failing and the airlines failing each present their own complicated and serious national security risks.

But to keep these on Tacoma talk...I had a 1st gen 20+ years ago...wish I'd kept it, would likely still be running.

2nd gen's are nice, but I think they're the last gen that will be dependable into the 300k mile range.

Like with almost everything these days, they don't make them like they used to...that applies the the 3rd generation I feel. Nice looking trucks, but too many computers/electronics to be reliable for 20+ years of driving