What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

I just don’t like when the fan boys act like any other truck is incapable. It’s a lot to do with how well you take care of them.
This was the single hardest thing about shopping for a new truck. Everyone’s truck is “the best” and the other guys trucks suck. It’s hard to find a real review - I trust the guys saying they’ve owned more than one of course, but the guys blindly parroting how “Chevy sucks Ford rules” or whatever doesn’t help at all.

You’re also right - I bought an F150, I don’t plan on dogging it out with a big ass lift kit or massive tires... people act like that’s normal but the vehicle was not engineered to take the additional strain. Some can handle it better than others sure, but especially with vehicles nowadays being engineered for fuel economy first and foremost why risk it? Everything’s weaker as a result - I’ve yet to need to get to a place that I needed additional ground clearance or bigger than stock sized tires to get to.

Same thing for the guys buying a half ton and towing at max capacity all the time - sure it’s rated for it, but with the stuff is engineered these days there’s no way I’d tow 10k+ all the time with my rig even though it’s rated to 14k. At that point you need to buy a 250/2500+

I had a 2017 Colorado before this that I put 80k miles on. By all accounts I should’ve had transmission issues because it had the 8 speed - but I had none. Same with the engine, no issues. But I changed the oil on time every time. I serviced the diffs and transfer case myself at 50k... and above all I didn’t beat the piss out of it. Not saying I babied it, but after riding with some guys it’s wild how hard they’ll drive these roads. It’s no wonder your shit is falling apart after 70k!

Rob5589

WKR
But I changed the oil on time every time. I serviced the diffs and transfer case myself at 50k... and above all I didn’t beat the piss out of it. Not saying I babied it, but after riding with some guys it’s wild how hard they’ll drive these roads. It’s no wonder your shit is falling apart after 70k!

Stuff happens but, a little maintenance can go a long way. My 03 Silverado my son now has was trouble free when I sold it to him with 180k or so miles. I was always up on maintenance, synthetic oil, always checking on fluid levels, etc. Unfortunately, the boy isn't as diligent as Dad was. But it is still over 200K currently.

Stuff happens but, a little maintenance can go a long way. My 03 Silverado my son now has was trouble free when I sold it to him with 180k or so miles. I was always up on maintenance, synthetic oil, always checking on fluid levels, etc. Unfortunately, the boy isn't as diligent as Dad was. But it is still over 200K currently.
He’ll get there. In my early 20s I wasn’t the bastion of vehicle maintenance - it took me getting to work on my own stuff and being broke down once for me to wake up to how important it is.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I am a Toyota fan boy. Had an 03 TRD Tacoma, 2005 4runner, 2013 Tundra. Currently have a 2016 4runner trail, and a 18 Tundra Crewmax. Every single one is 4wd. I can happily say I have had no issues at all with any of the vehicles. All vehicles listed are still in my immediate family.

Why? Because I used Toyota vehicles during my combat deployments.

So I'm a truck addict I'm turning 40 and have had about 35 trucks plus or minus.
Yes my house could have been paid off.
But I've ether owned or extensively researched almost everything out there.

Most anything is decently reliable with maintenance and stock size highway tires.

Lift them up, big tires, lockers, and drive way to fast everywhere you go beating the truck apart.
Slide off in the ditch and chain up 1 front wheel cause that's all you can get to. Rock it back and forth then turn it to full lock and let her buck is when the real trucks shine. Hours and hours wallowing in the snow without over heating. Hoping and bucking.
Rangers and Gm leaves axle and or ring and pinions in the snow almost every time. That stuff is trash for real for wheeling. We won't even let them go.

sasquatch

WKR
No, the banks should not have gotten a bailout. Some banks would still exist, don't they teach capitalism is history classes anymore?The FDIC insures up to $250,000.

And where does that money come from???

The govt

Which in return comes from where???

Oh yea, that’s right, taxes

FDIC is nothing more than a promise to pay you back even if they have to tax you to do it!

I’ve paid attention a lot more than you think but good try. I’m still not for bailouts.

The real issue is how big we have let companies get to where we need to bail them out or risk massive downfalls. Go to the root, it’s the only way to rid the weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There no real answer to spring snow.
Tracks is about it.
I love the flatbed because I can back it into anywhere to turn around with nothing much more then a spray paint touch up.
Winch the front end around if I have to.

I went to an 05 tundra and love it.
Its mostly stock and is much more comfortable to tooling around.
But not near the offroader.

I've fully built a 7.3 as well if you want some help living up that truck.
View attachment 285296
View attachment 285297View attachment 285298
Man I got an 05 tundra with a 2"leveling kit and a custom rear spring to match it and snow tires. that thing eats more snow than anything I've seen that's "almost" stock. I really don't understand how I get some places. Sucky thing is when I do get stuck and can't winch out nobody can get to me and I have to get a buddy in a payloader. I will buy another when/if this one ever dies. I've started calling it the falcon because I'm always breaking something but never getting stranded.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Man I got an 05 tundra with a 2"leveling kit and a custom rear spring to match it and snow tires. that thing eats more snow than anything I've seen that's "almost" stock. I really don't understand how I get some places. Sucky thing is when I do get stuck and can't winch out nobody can get to me and I have to get a buddy in a payloader. I will buy another when/if this one ever dies. I've started calling it the falcon because I'm always breaking something but never getting stranded.

What rear springs do you have. I could never find anything to promising and did an add a leaf.

Thread has been going about 50 hours.

I wonder how many of these yotas that were bragged on have broken down in that time.

You don't brag on your kids or your dog, they will immediately prove you wrong.

Same with vehicles.
Yup I never said they won't break down.
They just break less. I hope. Fingers crossed, knock on wood.

I'm talking more like 3-4' tho.
Was in snow cat tracks but 1 hop out and I was fd.
20200417_083306.jpg

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Have Ram 1500 2015, never had any problems. Only 65k.

I have no brand loyalty. I just do my research. When I was looking to buy Ford 150 and Ram 1500 where highest rated full size trucks. Went with Ram because of price and dad owned a lot of them through the years in his business. Trust me, we put them through their paces. I tried to like the Tundra but just didn’t.

Have a RAV4 currently. Can’t wait too move on from that vehicle. But wife only put 13k on it in 5 years. So unfortunately we’ll have it for a while.

Wrench

WKR
I just changed the radiator in my 80 series. It was incredible how protected that thing is. Skid plates and a zillion bolts to get to it. Sitting next to the one out of my 12v it's easy to see how over built the yota is.

Deadfall

WKR
Eh. Tonka toys. I wouldn't give 10 cents for one. I've never been able to figure the interest in them. Guess they the cool thing. Whatever

pk_

WKR
So I'm a truck addict I'm turning 40 and have had about 35 trucks plus or minus.
Yes my house could have been paid off.
But I've ether owned or extensively researched almost everything out there.

Most anything is decently reliable with maintenance and stock size highway tires.

Lift them up, big tires, lockers, and drive way to fast everywhere you go beating the truck apart.
Slide off in the ditch and chain up 1 front wheel cause that's all you can get to. Rock it back and forth then turn it to full lock and let her buck is when the real trucks shine. Hours and hours wallowing in the snow without over heating. Hoping and bucking.
Rangers and Gm leaves axle and or ring and pinions in the snow almost every time. That stuff is trash for real for wheeling. We won't even let them go.
I lost count how many tie rods I have helped buddies replace on the trail. It’s ridiculous.
That is what people don’t get. Unless you have wheeled a bunch of rigs, or wheeled with a bunch of friends with different rigs you just would never know how solid the Toyota drivetrains, 4wd systems and components truly are in comparison. If someone doesn’t think so, just bring a truck with comparable suspension/tires/drivetrain and try to follow me. Take your pick of the stock height tacoma, 4Runner on 33”s or the tundra on 35”s. I have wheeled with most every popular 4x4 vehicle out there, and unless they are $$$ and lockers, my trucks run circles around them. And although I would like to take the credit I am not THAT good of a driver lol.

Some people don’t need a toyota and that’s fine. Most people will never take their trucks to places or get into situations where they will need both 4wd and aggressive driving to get them to where they need to go or to get back out. So buy the truck with the nicest features, any of the new trucks will look nice in the driveway or rolling down the street...

I am not trying to be a jerk about it, it’s just the conclusion I have come to from my experiences.

Vandy321

WKR
Some yota hate on here and that's fine...but nobody has offered up a better/more reliable used truck that can do just about anything (except pull super heavy) in the under $20k bracket.

If i take $15k and head out to buy a truck, I can assure you, no Chevy at $15k is going to be worth a sh*t. Neither will an old F-150. The yota for $15k may be a few years older, but I'd bet a good ammount of money it will out preform on the trail and outlast anything else you can buy for the $$.

Last edited:
I’ve had an ‘82, 89, 92, 93,00, and a 12. They are are great trucks. I drove the first 5 in the woods, 180 days a year while I was cutting logs. Never any problems as long as maintenance was kept up. During that time, my whole livelihood was based on that truck making it to the job site. I wouldn’t have trusted any other brand of small truck. If there was ever a test for a truck, a logger is that test. My Yotas performed day in and day out and were worth every dime I paid for them.

Deadfall

WKR
Some yota hate on here and that's fine...but nobody has offered up a better/more reliable used truck that can do just about anything (except pull super heavy) in the under $20k bracket.

If i take $15k and head out to buy a truck, I can assure you, no Chevy at $15k is going to be worth a sh*t. Neither will an old F-150. The yota for $15k may be a few years older, but I'd bet a good ammount of money it will out preform on the trail and outlast anything else you can buy for the $$.
My 03 durmax has 500,000. Still chugging along. It spent a decade in oil field.

Most first Gen diesels are still on road. Under 10k