whats your best cal/oz foods

unm1136

WKR
What is the calories per ounce in fruitcake ? I've had some homemade that was good but the store bought is inedible.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake-recipe/index.html

This is the parent of my recipe, I tweak the fruit a little. I plugged the ingredients into the calculator at caloriecount.about.com. I left out the spices, and the zests. While they will add calories, the batch is for 10 five ounce servings. I get 99.3kcal/oz. This is not a dried food, but this is something that doesn't require refrigeration or special packaging. This is something that I would leave in the truck and eat between hauling out loads of meat or camp. If I have to make more than one trip then a slice with a schmear between trips give me fat, protien, carbs, and about 700 kcal/serving (with the cream cheese single), that is tasty, and can be eaten one handed while I hike back... Interesting.

pat

Shrek

WKR
Pat , I bet the pemican is close to 400cal per ounce. The fat is reduced so there is no water weight and the same for the rest of the ingredients . If it takes five pounds of un reduced fat to make a pound of tallow then it's really dense in calories.

unm1136

WKR
Dave,

The numbers just aren't working for me. Rendering removes water, since fat cells are still cells they need a lot of it, and all the left on meat and all that stuff. Rendered fat is referred to as "purified fat". I am rounding off the numbers here, but an ounce of pure fat, at 9 calories/gram comes out to about 255 kcal. Nothing that I am aware of can go over that. Pemmican is half protein, at 4 kcal per gram, or just under half the energy density. I spent the a good part of the day googling yesterday, and was able to come up with numbers ranging from about 125 kcal/oz, to about 188 kcal/oz. with the average being in the mid to high 150s. Still a very dense, good choice, with a lot more nutrients than I thought possible. Most analysis I have found is listing 400 or so calories for a 3 ounce serving, which puts it in the mid 130s. Our speaker misspoke about the serving size, nutrients, or both. His nutrient counts seem to be close, 9g fat, and 14g protein leads to 23 grams, or 5 grams shy of one ounce. 9g fat is 81kcal, 14g protein is about 56 kcal, or 137kcal/oz. About 60% of the calories coming from fat. All of this seems to jibe with the few bits of nutritional analysis I found. Adding fruit will reduce the caloric density, as fruits will be predominantly carbs at 4kcal/g with protein and trace amounts of fat. A fruit containing Pemmican is likely in the 130s-150 kcal/oz, and going just fat and jerky is in the 150-180s neighborhood, depending on the ratios of fat to lean. (14g fat=126 kcal, 14g protien=56kcal, 28 grams/oz. total 182 kcal assuming jerky is pure protein, which it won't be.)

Still geeked about pemmican, but all this research is making my brain hurt.

Don't mean to seem a know-it-all, but that cooking degree has to have some value, and the stupid math for cooking class that was required just came in handy.

pat

Last edited:

sk1

WKR
honey stinger waffles at 160cal for a 1oz waffle, the honey flavor waffle is the best!

also the chocolate chip peanut crunch cliff bar is 250 cal for 2.4oz bar---similar stats for most flavors of cliff bars

Shrek

WKR
Pat , you are probably right as a 400 calorie per ounce food is too good to be true. Here is the math that gets me. The rule of thumb is that you need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of body weight . As that refers to whole live weight I assumed the 9 cal per gram times 454 gram per pound comes to 4086 calories per pound of whole fat. If I take five pounds of whole fat and reduced it to one pound of reduced fat I should have 20436 calories per reduced pound. I could not find a reference if the 9 calories per gram refered to whole or reduced pure fat. I'm not arguing with you Pat I just want to clarify this and figure it out. His 400 calories per ounce number works if the reduced fat is 1277 cal per ounce but that sounds too good to be true. I came up with 477 calories per ounce which gets me fired up to go kill some deer and jerk the whole thing. I'm going to talk to my butcher about the fat I need.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
The problem with honey stingers and other sugar food is that the calories are fast but empty. The pemican is calorie dense but it is slow calories and the proteins can be made into anything your body needs. I will be packing 4 to 6 ounces of dried fruit and a big chocolate bar for sugars calories. Thats plenty of quick sugars to pep me up. The rest of my foods I want to be more complex to sustain me.

unm1136

WKR
Just so anyone following this thread doesn't think that Shrek and I are pissing via pm...Here is the explanation I sent him... With a couple of extra figures.

"No sweat, it took me some time to find a reference in a sports medicine journal. A slab of fat, carved from a critter is 60-85% fat. The remainder is water and protien. If your butcher trims roasts and steaks to be as lean as possibe, then there will be streaks of lean tissue in the fat, which is denser than fat, being about 70-75% water and 20-25% peotein, so it weighs more per unit measure. When you render the fat you separate it all, the water evaporates, and the lean tissue cooks, which was shown in the video, and is very yummy with salt and pepper. Much of the remaining protien and solids from the actual fat cells themselves will be enough to form a cloudy haziness in the fat which gets strained out by the paper towel in the collander. So a quarter of your fat tissue is not fat, plus all the other trim bits of meat account is about a fifth, right there you are at half the total volume of your purchased trim fat not being fat at all. AND the water and meat bits are denser than the fat, so removing all that other stuff could concievably get you to the remaining volume of actual fat to be about 1/4 to 1/5 of your starting weight. Essentially you need to liberate the actual fat from 4-5 pounds of trim scraps to get a pound of good, clean, pure, fat.

Sorry if this level of detail is not necessary. I had a VERY long night at work last night, I still have about six more hours before I can go home and go to bed, and it seems to me the more I explain, the better I understand."

Extra information: Fat has a specific gravity of .88gm/cc. Water weighs 1.0g/cc, and commercial lean meat runs 1.07 g/cc or so. I don't have the temp references handy. So fat is 12% less weight per volume measure than water, and lean trim is 7% heavier still. Also I was wrong, a the cell walls and whatnot of the fat are made of protein, water generally accounts for about 10% of the weight of fat. I remember my grandfather making pork cracklins, and the fat renders out leaving a fat coated protein husk, the chicarones. So not all of the solids cooked out when the fat is rendered is lean trim, a good bit of it is the protein matrix that makes up the cells for the fat to reside in.

I will test all this in a couple of weeks and I will weigh the total trim scraps that I render, I will weigh the rendered fat that comes out, and the cooked floaties.

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
Pat , you are probably right as a 400 calorie per ounce food is too good to be true. Here is the math that gets me. The rule of thumb is that you need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of body weight . As that refers to whole live weight I assumed the 9 cal per gram times 454 gram per pound comes to 4086 calories per pound of whole fat. If I take five pounds of whole fat and reduced it to one pound of reduced fat I should have 20436 calories per reduced pound. I could not find a reference if the 9 calories per gram refered to whole or reduced pure fat. I'm not arguing with you Pat I just want to clarify this and figure it out. His 400 calories per ounce number works if the reduced fat is 1277 cal per ounce but that sounds too good to be true. I came up with 477 calories per ounce which gets me fired up to go kill some deer and jerk the whole thing. I'm going to talk to my butcher about the fat I need.

Dave, the problem here is that a pound of body weight is not lost from a pound of fat, it is lost from the accumulated stored energy of the entire organism. Also, when I multiply 9 ckal/gm and get 255kcal/oz I get 4,080 kcal in 1 pound of fat. So we are tracking in the right direction. These numbers are for the pure, rendered fat that is the result of our efforts. The problem is that we cannot take five pounds of trim fat and make a pound of super dense fat, all we can do is release the actual fat in that five pound lump of trim. If you can buy rendered fat, then you get away from the whole five pounds issue. If your are making pure fat from trim with all the biproducts....The trim that we get is called fat, but it has all kinds of other stuff in it.

I am not trying to argue either, It seems that we are coming to an understanding from opposite directions. Actually you making me explain my position helps me to clarify and understand it myself, so thank you for the opportunity to develop my understanding. Even if we eventually don't agree, I still treasure the discussion!!:cool:

pat

Shrek

WKR
And I appreciate the information. I was just trying to get to the bottom of the facts so I understood how it worked. Plenty came up on Google about the calories per gram and all but it didn't tell me much about the state of the fat. Was that whole fat weight or reduced. Pats information cleared it up. Thanks.

I'm taking my first long BP fishing trip, two weeks moving every few days. Would love to see your pack lists, whattaya packin' besides MH?

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I put 2 oz of dried WHOLE milk in my oatmeal-184 cal/oz for the milk. Peanut butter in small zip top bags is great, tear off a corner and suck it out -170 cal/oz. Kirkland "cashew clusters" 150 cal/oz, and MH for dinner because its hot and filling. everything is portioned in advance so I know I'm getting what I need and not eating all my supplies at one sitting.

logan bread is what we like has lots of calories and also tastes better than cliff bars.it has around 250 cal. per serving you can add a lot of extra fruits and nuts to it to up the calories

If you haven't found it already, Jetboil has a nice cookbook. I have it in a PDF which was downloaded to my phone. It is nice to have some variety in my meals. If you can get your hands on some of the long range meals the military has, you will have a ton of calories in a dehydrated package. Think of a cross between the Mountain House meal and an MRE. A full 6-8K range of calories depending on the meal you choose. I try to carry these as much as possible, mostly because they are free at times and I can eat for a full day out of one package.

OP
fillthefreezer
If you haven't found it already, Jetboil has a nice cookbook. I have it in a PDF which was downloaded to my phone. It is nice to have some variety in my meals. If you can get your hands on some of the long range meals the military has, you will have a ton of calories in a dehydrated package. Think of a cross between the Mountain House meal and an MRE. A full 6-8K range of calories depending on the meal you choose. I try to carry these as much as possible, mostly because they are free at times and I can eat for a full day out of one package.

not everyone has access to military items.... :p

I think in a lot of ways the modern pepperoni or "snack-stick" has replaced pemmican.
Certainly readily available and convenient to carry.
For those than make their own pepperoni sticks, I'm sure the recipe could be "tweeked" to lean more toward a traditional pemmican recipe. Substitute in some nuts & berries in place of meat. But I'm not opposed to taking my meat, nuts, & fruit/berries in separate forms.
Hunt'nFish

If you are near enough to a surplus store, you may get lucky and find some of these long range patrols. It's worth a shot.