Which layer do you put the most importance on?

Which layer is most important to you

• Mid layer

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Puffy

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Base layer

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Pant

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Boot

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Shell/outer layer

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
Like a lot of us- I'm a tinker.

I've taken a head first deep dive into base layers, mid layers, pants, puffy and shells. I'm starting to realize that for me personally mid layers make all the difference.

Ive tried a ton of pants. Most of them do just fine. Light pants for early, heavier pants for later. I have my favorites, but really they're almost all interchangeable enough.

I've tried a bunch of puffies. I've found that cheaper puffies absolutely rock and I end up using the cheaper puffies I have just as much if not more than the expensive ones.

I've tried a bunch of base layers. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between the 5$ reebok cool mesh t shirts I found at wally world and a sitka core lightweight t. Don't get me wrong, the core LW hoodie is a unique piece and I'll never go without one.. but for a basic t shirt or long sleeve baselayer, I think a guy can get a lot of value from wrangler, reebok and other cheaper companies as long as they fit you ok and you look at the fabric type and % of spandex etc.i consider socks to be part of base layers. I believe now after much troubleshooting that thinner is always better with baselayers and socks. Whether it be merino or synthetic. Just go thin and add your

Boots matter. They matter a ton. But as far as something like whitetail hunting, that is very different than western hunting. Boot covers make all the difference and I find myself wearing either uninsulated or 400 gram boots down to 0 degrees with them.

I never find myself using my rain gear for whitetails, but western hunting I'll never skip it after being rained on for 2 days straight during elk season last year. My pnuma 3l earned its keep in my pack forever with that one, but I'd guess that any decent rain gear would have held up just fine.

Now mid layers.

I think this is the most pivotal piece of gear in a person's arsenal. They can adjust your temperature while active. If you have too thin of mid layer you'll be cold while sitting. Too thick or not breathable and you'll be sweating immediately and need to take it off. There are great cheaper midayers for high or low activity depending on your type of hunt..
and there are great expensive mid layers that can do it all (ambient hoodie, etc)

What layer do you guys think is the most important part of your system?

On an active hunt it’s usually my insulation. If I’m moving, I’m generally wearing just a base layer and get sweaty almost immediately.

My insulation is what makes or breaks my ability to dry out, stick it out on that glassing knob, sit on an animal awaiting a shot, and hunt as long as I want/need.

Mid- it has the most flux with Temp swings and will most likely be one on and off the most through out the day. Also where breathability may matter the most. Next is wind block and then puffy

OP
E
For me it depends on the weather. If the weather is moderate, mid layer is big. If it’s near freezing and raining sideways it’s all about a shell.
When you run a shell, what are you using? And what type of hunting is your primary?

OP
E
On an active hunt it’s usually my insulation. If I’m moving, I’m generally wearing just a base layer and get sweaty almost immediately.

My insulation is what makes or breaks my ability to dry out, stick it out on that glassing knob, sit on an animal awaiting a shot, and hunt as long as I want/need.
Do you find yourself wearing your insulation as much as a mid layer?

I found myself leaning on my mid layers more than any other layer besides baselayer. My puffy lives in my pack out west and under a shell when cold late season deer hunting here in Northern Mn

OP
E
Mid- it has the most flux with Temp swings and will most likely be one on and off the most through out the day. Also where breathability may matter the most. Next is wind block and then puffy
Wind blocking is a really good point. I'm a sucker for a wind proof vest for sure. What's your go to mid layers?

OP
E
A puffy can literally save your life, same with a good sleeping bag. Hard to not vote for boots but we survived 10's of thousands of years without boots. Can't say the same about staying warm...
I'd agree with that, but I've really not found more expensive puffies to be that much if at all warmer than my cheap ones. Sadly some of my cheap ones are actually warmer than my higher end hunting brand ones. What is your favorite puffy?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
While all are obviously important, boots easily are the most likely to make or break a hunt. Seems they are the most individual to a person and thus usually tougher to dial in- once dialed though you're golden :)

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
it all must work equally to be a good system. Good boots are top of my list as well as base layers and outer layer. Wind/moister requires a good outer layer if cold base layers and mid layers have to be good.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Wind blocking is a really good point. I'm a sucker for a wind proof vest for sure. What's your go to mid layers?
sitka ambient, paired with EVO is covers a wide active temp range. I carried/wore combo from 18 to 80degree

Base-kuiu 120 base
Mid- ambient hoody
outter/rain/wind- Stika EVO
-puffy-mountain hardware ghost whisper

-early season rain, stika evo
-late season rain/snow SG m7

fshaw

WKR
When you run a shell, what are you using? And what type of hunting is your primary?
Primary hunting is big woods Adirondack whitetail vast majority of time on the ground. Still get in a tree a few times a year for a few hours. If ai need a hard shell I have a 3 layer Gtex shell by Sitka. A guiet smooth face camo synthetic for wind, wool for fair and cold.

TSAMP

WKR
I've gotta say the OP baselayer commentary is spot on for me. If your multi day backpack hunting I can see some reasons for synthetic vs merino etc. But day trip stuff I am rocking a t shirt more times than not. It also just feels stupid stripping down to pile on the gear to go on a 4 hr deer hunt in the back 40.

I think the mountain/backcountry crowd obviously has a diff perspective, rightfully so.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I consider boots their own category so I will say mid layer. Situation might call for a fleece, wind shell, active insulation or no mid layer at all. Big difference in having the right vs wrong type.