Wyoming Corner Crossing defense fund

cnelk

WKR
So, will it be a good thing to get it dismissed?
Or will/can the landowner appeal that decision and take it to a higher court?

And is that the desired course of action?

BuzzH

WKR

Not sure how the landowner would appeal, he didn't file the charges, the County Attorney did.

I believe if he would have sued under civil trespass there may be a case for appeal...but that's not what happened.

It will be a great thing if its dismissed.

z987k

WKR

A private person cannot appeal a criminal case. They have no standing.

z987k

WKR
If they are dismissed, then everyone can go corner cross, at least under the same circumstances
Exactly what I thought would happen...charges will be dismissed so no chance for appeal...dies there and no resolution to the overall issue. All that BHA money goes where?

BuzzH

WKR
Exactly what I thought would happen...charges will be dismissed so no chance for appeal...dies there and no resolution to the overall issue. All that BHA money goes where?
AccessYes...we're going to meet with the Wyoming Game and Fish and look for long-term public access with any funds leftover from the legal defense. Its not BHA money, its money that hunters, fisherman and interested public land advocates donated to fight for public land access.

From the gofundme page:

Any excess funds to this effort will be donated to Access Yes to help provide more access for hunting and fishing.

Squincher

WKR
If they are dismissed, then everyone can go corner cross, at least under the same circumstances

It might cause District Attorneys to reconsider filing charges in these cases, but dismissal of charges in District Court doesn't create precedent. Only a ruling by the Court of Appeals or Supreme Court would legally validate corner crossing.

Edit to add: It shouldn't have even come to this though, as a DA would have to twist the crap out of the trespass statute to file charges anyway.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Go cross a corner, get a ticket and fight it. I got 10 bucks with your name on it! 😉
Nope. Not for me in Colorado.

People freak out when they think they're just going to get a trespass ticket and end up with a 20 point violation because of the way the law makes trespassing a primary offense, so anything that happens after that (hunting, fishing) becomes a Title 33 violation also.

Squincher

WKR
AccessYes...we're going to meet with the Wyoming Game and Fish and look for long-term public access with any funds leftover from the legal defense. Its not BHA money, its money that hunters, fisherman and interested public land advocates donated to fight for public land access.

From the gofundme page:

Any excess funds to this effort will be donated to Access Yes to help provide more access for hunting and fishing.

It occurs to me you have another avenue to attack this issue. The hunters could file a federal 1983 action against the officer for arresting them in violation of the Unlawful Inclosures of Public Lands Act of 1885 that was cited in the article you linked earlier. You would almost certainly get a ruling with nation wide effect.