Wyoming Resident App Strategy

schlumpyj

FNG
Early next year, I will be a Wyoming resident for a year. That means I get to participate in the resident draw for the first time. In my free time, I plan out different scenarios for applying to LE tags as a resident. There is the "play-it-safe" way vs the "go big or go home" way. I'm curious about what the Wyoming residents on Rokslide usually do. Do you aim for the stars with LE tags that have < 10% odds and go general if that fails? Or do you go more middle-of-the-road draw odds tags, hoping that it is a better quality hunt than General? Curious to hear people's perspectives.

Depends on the year and what I am feeling or other tag plans. Sometimes I prefer some of the general units. Send a pm and we can talk unit specific if you want.

Wyoming nonresident here. Based off my limited experience hunting a general unit, I’d go big… The general hunt is still a great hunt.

Congrats btw, I hope to join you some day.

My friends who are residents go big and they’ve drawn some great tags in the past few years.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Not a resident, but seems like a great opportunity to go big. You live there and presumably have time to figure things out in some general units prior to season. That will pay off long term on the years you don’t draw, and still excellent country to hunt compared to what a majority of elk hunters across the west have access to!

As a consolation prize they can hunt any general units for deer elk etc. Such as region G for deer. General license. Lol Why wouldn’t you shoot for the stars? No matter where you draw you can put in your time scouting and have a great hunt.

Calcoyote

FNG
I live in Oregon, but have done considerable research into the the Wyoming Elk units due to the fact that my wife and I are wanting to leave Oregon and relocate to WY. To be honest, many of the General units in Wyoming are better than controlled units in Oregon that take 2-4 pref points to draw. I would put in for a premium unit and if you don't draw it there are some very good General units to choose from.

Mojave

WKR
If I lived in Wyoming as a resident, I was born there I wish I was still a resident.

If I was a resident, I'd apply for a bull tag in a unit with good access and decent success.

And 2-3 half price cow tags (whatever the maximum is) in the same type of units.

My 2nd choice after the bull tag would be a full price cow tag in another good unit.

I pick units within 3 hours of my house (preferrably closer).

I'd put in for buck deer and doe deer in the same units.

And I'd have a bear tag in my pocket if the season was open.

Learn the unit, own the unit kill stuff in the unit.

BFreed59

FNG
It would depend on where you live, I typically go for the harder to draw elk/deer units as I have a general unit close by to where I live so even when I don't get lucky with a premium unit I am able to hunt nearby to where I live. Antelope I usually do a more middle of the road plan with a draw unit with roughly 50/50 chance for first choice then I have a backup unit that is alright but almost guaranteed 2nd choice.