Best hunting long range scope

CorbLand

WKR
So you think smaller scope would be as clear (bright)turned down to 3.5 as the 56mm on 5 power? Didn't know if there was any way to figure that out?

I realize things do happen out in the field. Heck I've had them happen. Just seems that many droppes on and scope will be hard on them. Would be interesting to do that test with one drop on scopes and see which ones fair better or fail.
I couldn’t tell you as I haven’t ever compared them. Most decent scopes have good enough glass that you have a good picture during normal hunting light. Scopes are not like binos. You won’t be spending hours behind them. Top notch clarity is not needed. You need to be able to identify the animal you want and identify where you need to aim.

If I was making the decision for what you want/need. I wouldn’t worry too much about magnification. You don’t need it.

OP
K

Kc w

FNG
I couldn’t tell you as I haven’t ever compared them. Most decent scopes have good enough glass that you have a good picture during normal hunting light. Scopes are not like binos. You won’t be spending hours behind them. Top notch clarity is not needed. You need to be able to identify the animal you want and identify where you need to aim.

If I was making the decision for what you want/need. I wouldn’t worry too much about magnification. You don’t need it.
Good point.

So you think smaller scope would be as clear (bright)turned down to 3.5 as the 56mm on 5 power? Didn't know if there was any way to figure that out?

I realize things do happen out in the field. Heck I've had them happen. Just seems that many droppes on and scope will be hard on them. Would be interesting to do that test with one drop on scopes and see which ones fair better or fail.
It’s important to note that the testing done in those threads isn’t just to see if a scope can stand up to drops. It is a way to expedite the process of seeing how a scope holds up to long term normal use. A scope that passes the drops has almost no chance of losing zero from normal use such as riding in a truck, being strapped to a pack animal, airline travel, or simply sitting in a gun safe. The scopes that don’t pass on the other hand lose zero from these activities very often.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP…

Rating “glass” over durability in a hunting optic is 100% backwards. Ability to maintain point of impact should be your number one criteria in a device that is used to kill living creatures.

During this past deer season, I dropped my rifle about a dozen times. Not a single drop was intentional. Granted, still healing from a couple surgeries did not help. But, damn, I'm glad I have a reliable scope, and despite it not having the best glass, I've never had an issue seeing what I've aimed at.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Homie! Have you read the eval on the Mark 5 yet? If not, you will be shocked by the results of many top shelf optics and their repeated failures to hold zero, even just riding in the truck. Mark 5 being up there on the list for constant issues. :)
Here's how big a grain of salt I take with internet scope evaluations:

Spartacus-6.jpg

Scope Problems?: Never heard of her ...

KHNC

WKR
Here's how big a grain of salt I take with internet scope evaluations:

Spartacus-6.jpg

Scope Problems?: Never heard of her ...
Cmon man! :) this isnt your average internet scope evals. These are from a scope killin professional. Do yourself a favor and look them over. Dont think you will find any better evals out there. Eye opening for sure.

KHNC

WKR
That link didn't really answer what I was looking for but seems like a weird test for any scopes. I understand that everyone wants a durable scope but abusing them and then wonering why they don't hold up seems like a mute point to me. I didn't read them all but I bet not very many of them held up.
The review shows that the Mark 5 cant even hold a zero riding around in a truck. Is that abusive in your opinion? Surprised you would choose the Mark 5 out of all mentioned, even after it is clear that scope had some of the worst results of any. You seem like a guy I know that was on an SF team in the Army for 12 years. They used Leupold on his teams precision rifles. No matter what you tell him, or show him, nothing will beat Leupold since he went to war with it. But, he also still uses peep tubing on his bow.

I hunted 4 states last year (Arizona, California, Wyoming, and Minnesota). 3 out of those 4 I was either hunting mule deer or was in mule deer country for significant amount of time between scouting, backpacking, and actual hunting.

All 3 of those states had incredible deer numbers in the areas I hunted. Was especially surprised with the number of bucks, and deer in general, that I saw in Wyoming this September.
If you think Wyoming mule deer numbers are doing good after last winter you have pretty low standards 🤣

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s funny how some users are posting content with actual field testing and the results, trying to help hunters become more effective killers.

Then others come in posting zero content with zero field testing results other than “I’ve used these for decades with no issues”. Most of these exact guys have been called out and asked to share their results and come out and shoot, to which you get basically no response.

I promise you, just about anyone that says they have a bullet delivery system that “never loses” zero, if I was to take that setup out for one week in the field where I shoot, it would need to be re-zeroed. Something would absolutely give. Maybe it wouldn’t be the scope erector system… could be ring cap screws needing to be tightened, action screws not torqued properly, ring bases not properly mounted/torqued, etc.

Eliminating as many of these variables as possible makes you a better shooter and hunter. It also makes you more confident in your gear. Not that you can “drop it a dozen times” on a hunt which is just ridiculous; its that you can know that in harsh hunting conditions, truck/jeep rides, bumps and scrapes that happen while hunting, etc. you have a system that you know will remain constant.

OP… I used to be stuck in my ways as well because what I was doing “worked” for me. Don’t be like these guys and how I used to be. Be better.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you think Wyoming mule deer numbers are doing good after last winter you have pretty low standards 🤣
Where in Wyoming are you talking about? You clearly don’t spend any time in the field where I hunted and scouted in Wyoming last September or you’d be laughing at yourself instead of me.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I used the 5-25 and 3-18 MK5 HD's for a while and liked them alot. I connected ~500 shots to steel in competitions 200-1000yards with them. But I experienced both the wandering zero dozens of times and a fully lost zero one time:

1. Both MK5's would have their zero shift 1/10 MIL or so every couple weeks without seeing field use. I thought it was just lighting, parallax, optical distortions, shooter error, atmospherics, evil spirits, or whatever. Until I saw the testing here, I didn't think it was actually the SCOPE'S issue.
  2. Last year I zeroed the 5-25 on opening day of deer season, and by the 2nd weekend of the season it was off by 0.5MIL in windage. Shot a critter in the ass for it. The scope must have seen an impact that I neglected to check zero after
  3. This season--maintained a perfect zero for 4 kills. Awesome. It rode in the tractor with me for an hour, and I noticed the scope was bumping into the metal cab. Not hard impacts, more like a sharp jolt. And it was onto the capped turret. Yeah... zero was 1/10th high and 1/10th left.

I spend WAY too much time/money doing load development to be OK with my scope adding ±0.3MOA to my potential impact area. And I care WAY too much about hunting to be OK with losing zero by half MIL from some forgettable impact to the scope. And I can get rid of both of those problems simply by buying a different scope? Where do I sign!

After the 3rd instance I happily bought the Tenmile which has less adjustment, a reticle I don't like as much, a size I don't like as much, no Zerostop, tighter eyebox, etc. etc. The MK5's work until they don't. Like I said, there's a lot to like about them, but ye be warned.

JGRaider

WKR
You have already asked, and the answer is still, " I think it's a complete waste of time". I test 'em myself, actually using them, and killing stuff, and shooting targets.

JGRaider

WKR
It’s funny how some users are posting content with actual field testing and the results, trying to help hunters become more effective killers.

Then others come in posting zero content with zero field testing results other than “I’ve used these for decades with no issues”. Most of these exact guys have been called out and asked to share their results and come out and shoot, to which you get basically no response.

I promise you, just about anyone that says they have a bullet delivery system that “never loses” zero, if I was to take that setup out for one week in the field where I shoot, it would need to be re-zeroed. Something would absolutely give. Maybe it wouldn’t be the scope erector system… could be ring cap screws needing to be tightened, action screws not torqued properly, ring bases not properly mounted/torqued, etc.

Eliminating as many of these variables as possible makes you a better shooter and hunter. It also makes you more confident in your gear. Not that you can “drop it a dozen times” on a hunt which is just ridiculous; its that you can know that in harsh hunting conditions, truck/jeep rides, bumps and scrapes that happen while hunting, etc. you have a system that you know will remain constant.

OP… I used to be stuck in my ways as well because what I was doing “worked” for me. Don’t be like these guys and how I used to be. Be better.
What's just as funny are the guys that claim your scope doesn't work, in spite of it actually working. Cracks me up.

Where in Wyoming are you talking about? You clearly don’t spend any time in the field where I hunted and scouted in Wyoming last September or you’d be laughing at yourself instead of me.
You’re correct, I didn’t spend any time with you in the field. But anyone with any sense of herd quality knows the western half of Wyoming was absolutely decimated from last winter. Your original comment was generic that Wyoming mule deer numbers are doing well. As a whole, that is far from the truth. I guess I’m more of a big picture kind of guy, rather than base an opinion on an isolated area/person. My comment on herd health is based on factual conversations with a Wyoming biologist and multiple hunters from different areas of the state, as well as personal experience.

JGRaider

WKR
No you don’t.
I don't recall you being with me, ever. I've culled and killed more big game animals than you will in 10 lifetimes. No, it's not "thousands, plural", but several hundred. Guess again though mxg, you're doing good.

I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I'm a little new. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle scope combo for longer range hunting. Have the rifle purchased but wondering about best quality glass that is somewhat light. Looking at the leupold mark 5. Any better recommendations to save weight but still have quality low light glass? Looking to stay around 2k. Thanks in advance
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 can’t beat a NF
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I'm a little new. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle scope combo for longer range hunting. Have the rifle purchased but wondering about best quality glass that is somewhat light. Looking at the leupold mark 5. Any better recommendations to save weight but still have quality low light glass? Looking to stay around 2k. Thanks in advance