Headlamps

You guys running the zebras and fenix, what’s your guess on average hrs out of a charge/fresh batteries? I have been using a black diamond storm and love everything about it other than the life. 4 Li aaa get me maybe 6 hrs at best on green mode which I think is the same as low.

Hondo

WKR
I've been through many and ones I use and like the most are the Nitecore NU32 and the Nitecore HC65. Both rechargeable with red light options. I use the NU32 the most for hunting as it is lighter and takes up less space packed. I tend to use the HC65 more for night fishing due to the longer range and greater waterproofing. For about $40 the NU32 is a great value IMO.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I got a ZebraLight that takes the single AA battery I think I paid $55-$65 for it. Now all my battery powered stuff takes AA that just makes it easier and I know I can find them in any gas station. I suppose I better get a reliable back up. That Petzl e+LITE seems legit. My current backup is the Streamlight Bandit rechargable but i don't like that I cant change out the power source.

Lookout85

FNG
Petzl (I think Tactikka) led that I can switch among white/red/blue/green at press of button. Love it. Petzl eLite as backup.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I use several models of Black Diamond. I've been very happy with them. Just take the time to learn the features.

You guys running the zebras and fenix, what’s your guess on average hrs out of a charge/fresh batteries? I have been using a black diamond storm and love everything about it other than the life. 4 Li aaa get me maybe 6 hrs at best on green mode which I think is the same as low.

Specs on the Fenix HL50 say just shy of 10 hours on medium. I usually use a full battery per hunt (7-9 days) That’s low power hiking in and out. Medium power around camp. High power if I’m using a knife. I carry three spare 123’s in a Thyrm Cellvault.

I usually take a Streamlight hand torch too. A 123 single cell for longer trips. Or maybe a little AAA if it’s less remote. They both have a pocket clip which you can use backwards on a hat brim in a pinch.

My buddy rocks one of the zebras. Very comparable. The Zebra low setting is a true moonlight mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
Should check out Acebeam h30. I just receive this headlamp couple week ago. So far this is my brightest light. Has color led option.I have use other 18650 light that are decent but felt like i need more light sometime.It a little on the heavy side. But run time is pretty good on (21700 battery) also take 18650 with included adapter.. Has memory so it come back to where you left off every time you turn on. And instant turbo at 4000 lumen look like daytime..3 hour on high mode . This is my do it all light from now on. And charge with samsung c charger.

hikenhunt

WKR
I've had great experiences with Petzl and Black Diamond headlamps. My Petzl is about 12 years old and I still use it all the time!

mbailey25

WKR
Picked up a 3-pack of Coast headlamps from Costco a few years back and they are amazing for costing $19.99. They take 3-AAA batteries that last for several days and it is easy to pack a few extra batteries for if they run out. Can't beat the price for the performance.

I use a black diamond storm. Nice and bright! I've also had good luck with a couple cheapies from Walmart too. I think they were $20 Colemans, but they didn't last long. Had the black diamond for 3 years, it started making a very subtle buzz when I turn it on about a year ago, but its hardly noticeable. Overall very happy with it.

Afhunter1

WKR
I can't imagine using anything other than my H600W MK IV 18650 zebra light. The performance is worth a new battery style. I don't even carry a backup because the zebra is built so well that it isn't going to let me down. I do have my cell that has a light if needed i guess.

2 batteries for $12 that will last 5-6 years or longer

Charger for $8

For 100 bucks you could have lamp and charger for life!

Cool thing about this charger is you can use it to charge your 18650 from the wall outlet or a battery bank but you can also use your 18650 batteries to charge your phone or battery bank back up, so it can be a back up for that as well.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I got a ZebraLight that takes the single AA battery I think I paid $55-$65 for it. ......
Yeah, I tested a bunch of these in a threads a year or two ago...'Happy headlamp' or something like that

A guy using the single AA battery units needs to have a couple extra batteries for a typical western hunt- I wouldn't recommend those.

The 18650 units with high RCI are the only way to go, IME. Those 18650 batteries can last a whole hunt.

>>>>>>>>

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Also a big Nitecore fan, especially the little NU20. Weighs nothing and plenty bright on medium. I like that it's got a built in rechargeable battery as well.

tdot

WKR
Another vote for the Nitecore NU25. Litesmith sells them with a lighter cord style headband. The light itself is so compact and light that it really doesnt need the wide elastic headband. Combined with the lighter headband the NU25 is light enough to replace all of the tiniest Petzl or other backup lights, but it is much more useable/useful. It has also replaced my larger Petzl and Black Diamond.