How Much PTO Do You Have?

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Corporation gives all employees 23.5 days of PTO upon hire. They can accumulate more with years of service. I am fortunate enough to be senior management and we get unlimited PTO.

T28w

WKR
Self employed here. When I'm not working nobody's paying me.

My biggest cost when I go out of state to hunt is usually lost earnings.
This is spot on for me also.
It’s definitely a give and take.

seww

WKR
Corporation gives all employees 23.5 days of PTO upon hire. They can accumulate more with years of service. I am fortunate enough to be senior management and we get unlimited PTO.
I've got unlimited PTO nowadays too.
How many days do you take off on an annual basis? I've read that many with unlimited takes less PTO than if you accrue it.
So far, I've been on this since April, I've taken about 5-7 days spread over the months. No more than 2 days consecutive. I don't have enough to do on my spare time to take more than that, combined with a weekend :) Maybe in the fall...

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Annually I accrue 4 weeks vacation (can store 2x that, in a couple of years it'll be 5 week per year), 3 weeks sick time (continually accumulates forever, over 1500 hrs on the books currently), and 40 hrs of "personal time" that expires Dec. 31 each year. I also get get 12 or 13 paid holidays per year. Yes I work for a state agency. And yes it's a little ridiculous.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I've got unlimited PTO nowadays too.
How many days do you take off on an annual basis? I've read that many with unlimited takes less PTO than if you accrue it.
So far, I've been on this since April, I've taken about 5-7 days spread over the months. No more than 2 days consecutive. I don't have enough to do on my spare time to take more than that, combined with a weekend :) Maybe in the fall...
I’ll take a day here and there throughout the year for various reasons but always take a week in the summer and then I will take around three weeks total for my western hunts. Then I’ll take some time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Overall, around 6 weeks total.

Poser

WKR
Annually I accrue 4 weeks vacation (can store 2x that, in a couple of years it'll be 5 week per year), 3 weeks sick time (continually accumulates forever, over 1500 hrs on the books currently), and 40 hrs of "personal time" that expires Dec. 31 each year. I also get get 12 or 13 paid holidays per year. Yes I work for a state agency. And yes it's a little ridiculous.

You shouldn’t think this is ridiculous at all. You should embrace it. A couple hundred more hours and you can take a year of sick time

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
You shouldn’t think this is ridiculous at all. You should embrace it. A couple hundred more hours and you can take a year of sick time

hopefully I never need to do that but yes I get your point. it's a nice benefit to have.

Just started a new job so currently get two weeks this year. Will go up to three weeks next year. No sick or personal time as that is all built into the PTO. Seems a little low after reading everyone else's posts.

Poser

WKR
Just started a new job so currently get two weeks this year. Will go up to three weeks next year. No sick or personal time as that is all built into the PTO. Seems a little low after reading everyone else's posts.

Yeah, I’d say so. Professional jobs should realistically offer at least 4-5 weeks total of PTO/sick time/personal/bereavement. Somehow, the american workers gets shamed into thinking they owe their entire existence to an employer.

I have about 9 weeks between PTO and Holidays. I work in professional services and have certain times I cannot take PTO and a lot of deadline driven work. Decently flexible overall though.

The self-employed guys that say they don't get PTO is silly. I view my PTO as an agreement that my employer pays me evenly throughout the year. I would be fine with no paid PTO and holidays, I would only be available to work 10 months a year and would need the same salary I get now.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I max at 80 and can't carry over more then 40.... I'm at 75 so I'll take a random day here soon then a week to help my brother on his hunt.

Miss working at lockmart where the max was 350.

seww

WKR
I’ll take a day here and there throughout the year for various reasons but always take a week in the summer and then I will take around three weeks total for my western hunts. Then I’ll take some time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Overall, around 6 weeks total.
Oh ok, 6 weeks in total, noice!

I will probably make sure to take extra time off during the Holidays and depending on how September goes, who knows... :)

ColeKira

FNG
Reading this thread is depressing, eye opening and motivational! I LOVE HUNTING but I was a work-a-holic for 20 years and always put work first. Most of my checks were for over 60 hours a week and some for over 100! I made great money and my wife made even more. We could afford nice vacations with the kids, but I often stayed behind to work because "they need me". Fast forward to divorce and losing everything. I'm 47 and divorced for almost 3 years now and would change a lot if I could.....but I can't change the past but I'm learning from my mistakes. Life is about balance, a HEALTHY balance.
I'm fortunate to have a great friend who invited me hunting to countless places over the years for FREE, but I always said "no, I have to work". I now say yes and I'm falling in love with hunting all over again. I just started my own company and will be able to MAKE the time to go hunting with friends, my son, and mostly by myself. Life is short, money comes and goes but your friends, family and passions are to be enjoyed to the fullest. Work didn't "need" me, my friends and family did.

KMW

FNG
I get 160 hours PTO annually and can carry over whatever I don't use, which usually isn't more than a few hours, and I adjust my work schedule to have every other Friday off October through December. That said, I work for a small company that doesn't really have rules, as long as the work gets done....if I want to take a long weekend at any point in the year and not use PTO, I can adjust my schedule to fit. I usually do that a few times throughout the spring and summer and use my PTO for one extended vacation with the family and the rest for the Fall.

woods89

WKR
The self-employed guys that say they don't get PTO is silly. I view my PTO as an agreement that my employer pays me evenly throughout the year. I would be fine with no paid PTO and holidays, I would only be available to work 10 months a year and would need the same salary I get now.
I'm a remodeling contractor. I don't sub much work out at this point, as getting subs on-site in a timely fashion is tough these days. So when I'm hunting, my projects are dead, and nothing is happening that I can bill for. Thus, when I'm gone, it's costing me money.
Now I suppose you could say that not working Saturdays and Sundays is costing me money as well. And it's certainly true that I build some time away from work into my estimating rates. But a lot of my overhead does not stop when I leave.
So you're probably partially right.....:)