Lightweight hunting rifle build

So my target weight is not set but I am looking at sheep, mule dear and under 400 yard elk. That gun you have looks like the other one I am working on which is a 300 prc for elk and bigger animals. I am a huge fan of the 7mm size and if Barnes is not making there new low drag bullet in 6.5 or if it is too long to get in the action I will be going 7mm-08 or 7mm rausm. The 7mm hits the sweet spot on all copper Bullets right now.
7MM-08 you say:) Here is one I recently had done, it was just under 6 lbs naked, with a NXS Compact its 7 lbs 8 ozs. Liked it enough had another one done (y)

Broomd

WKR
The first thing a guy needs to do is figure out what "super light" means for himself.

For many of us 'light is right' believers, 'superlight' isn't 7-8 lbs. It's 5lbs and change scoped.
The other thing is the ridiculous yardages here being tossed around.
Does anyone stalk to be within 200-300 yards anymore? Unbelievable.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
7MM-08 you say:) Here is one I recently had done, it was just under 6 lbs naked, with a NXS Compact its 7 lbs 8 ozs. Liked it enough had another one done (y)

I do like the bullet options but getting a box of something off a shelf is the only down side. I am getting reloading and that is why I would consider the 7mm rausm but the 7mag is about the only one. I feel like everything is switching to the 270 right now and then the 7mm will be the cool round again.
What is the bullet you are running and the FPS

tdot

WKR
So my target weight is not set but I am looking at sheep, mule dear and under 400 yard elk. That gun you have looks like the other one I am working on which is a 300 prc for elk and bigger animals. I am a huge fan of the 7mm size and if Barnes is not making there new low drag bullet in 6.5 or if it is too long to get in the action I will be going 7mm-08 or 7mm rausm. The 7mm hits the sweet spot on all copper Bullets right now.
I built a 6.5ss a couple of years ago and have had a chance to compare it to the results of my 260rem on a number of black bear and the results aren't exceptional different. I was hoping/expecting better performance than I saw.

I built a 7saum this year and while I have only shot a single ram with it, the terminal results more closely resemble the results I've seen from my 30 caliber then the 6.5. I recall being a bit surprised with how much better my 7-08 was vs my 260Rem as well.

The side benefit of the 7mm is the same contour barrel will be slightly lighter then the 6.5mm.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
This thread has swapped over to my not super light gun but my 300 kind of. I am after a sub 6.5 pound gun at least with the caliber and barrel length is what I am trying to figure out. 6.5 creed,6.5prc,or 7mm-08 and around 20” barrel. Big question is for the weight and inefficiency between creed and prc in 20” barrel. I would like under 6 pound with scope and 6.5 pound with suppressor.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
I built a 6.5ss a couple of years ago and have had a chance to compare it to the results of my 260rem on a number of black bear and the results aren't exceptional different. I was hoping/expecting better performance than I saw.

I built a 7saum this year and while I have only shot a single ram with it, the terminal results more closely resemble the results I've seen from my 30 caliber then the 6.5. I recall being a bit surprised with how much better my 7-08 was vs my 260Rem as well.

The side benefit of the 7mm is the same contour barrel will be slightly lighter then the 6.5mm.
That makes sense because I was looking into what I might get out of the 7mm-08 to the 6.5 creed and I can push the 145 grain out of the 7mm as the 127 grain out of the 6.5. Also with the 7mm I’m not trying to load the heaviest bullet I can in it so it seams more efficient all the way around on balance speed to bullet weight.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
That makes sense because I was looking into what I might get out of the 7mm-08 to the 6.5 creed and I can push the 145 grain out of the 7mm as the 127 grain out of the 6.5. Also with the 7mm I’m not trying to load the heaviest bullet I can in it so it seams more efficient all the way around on balance speed to bullet weight.
If I’m right the 6.5ss is almost just like the prc?

I do like the bullet options but getting a box of something off a shelf is the only down side. I am getting reloading and that is why I would consider the 7mm rausm but the 7mag is about the only one. I feel like everything is switching to the 270 right now and then the 7mm will be the cool round again.
What is the bullet you are running and the FPS
Not a hand loader just a hunter. I shoot factory Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tips, they kill stuff which I think is what you want.

tdot

WKR
Correct. 6.5ss and the PRC are pretty similar.

In my experience, when comparing the actual results from 260rem and 6.5ss, they are equally as comparable at any given length 20"-24". I'd expect to see the same between the Creed and PRC. ie, if the cartridges yield a 300fps difference at 24", then that same spread will be there at 20". If anything I'd say that larger caliber bullets in a given case, lose less in shorter barrels then the smaller calibers.

Between those 3 cartridges you've mentioned, I'd happily build a 7-08. I'm just researching loads for a friends 7-08 right now. We have some 119grain Absolute Hammers enroute and I'd expect to see 3100-3200fps from them. If we achieve those speeds, they should be devastating little bullets from a very easy recoiling round, with no brake needed.

madcalfe

WKR
What components did you put together to hit that weight?
Paradigm carbon stock
Defiance anti SA
Trigger tech special
20” proof sendero
Pva ultralight jet blast brake,
Snowy mountain bottom metal.

I could of got below 5 lbs with a proof sendero light and different bottom metal no problem but didn’t wanna wait on a sendero light barrel.

260madman

WKR
I recall being a bit surprised with how much better my 7-08 was vs my 260Rem as well.
As a 6.5 slut I admit that a 308 does better at poking large holes and blood trails. I don’t have a 7-08 to compare with my 260s and 6.5s but it doesn’t surprise me. It was easy for me to ditch my 243 after I killed a couple deer with my 260 many years ago.

madcalfe

WKR
I developed a flinched just reading that.
Hahah yup, I’ve exclusively only owned 300wsm for close to 10 years first was a 5lbs 9oz tikka it kicked so bad, and now my 2nd a 5lb 2oz custom, I wouldn’t even consider shooting it without a brake having any hopes of spotting shots. Shootable yes but not ideal

Decker9

WKR
Just for reference (if it helps at all), I built a full custom PRC that finishes at 6 1/2 lbs with a 22” pencil barrel, and have a lighter T3 6.5 swede with a 19” barrel, both rifles shooting 140 AB’s

The PRC pushes 2975, the swede pushes 2625 (hot load)

The PRC is an absolute mule compared to the swede, impossible to spot shots. Both dial deadly out to 600 yards (Swedes max kill range is about 400-450).

The PRC definitely has less drift/drop then the swede out at distance.

In all honesty, I prefer the swede for the less recoil and more compact.

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 22” 6.5prc that weighs 8lb 6oz without the bipod. It’s on an SR3 with proof sendero barrel. Just finished up load testing and I’m running the 135berger classic hunter at 3187 fps. Groups .495-.264= .231”

Attachments

• DA1364F6-47AC-4A59-9F24-70F9D51B2CCA.jpeg
    DA1364F6-47AC-4A59-9F24-70F9D51B2CCA.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 38081C06-CF8F-46F2-A615-3A93E2EC9B4E.jpeg
    38081C06-CF8F-46F2-A615-3A93E2EC9B4E.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: