Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

TheGDog

WKR
Might want to look at the value of the Colt Pythons and pick another woods gun... I'm all about using gear instead of letting it sit in a safe, but Pythons have parts that are hand fitted and can't be mass reproduced.
Oh yeah... last year saw a 6" Nickel plated in an LGS for almost $4K!!! So yeah, *may* wanna re-consider taking it out into the woods. I couldn't believe they get that much for them now! But with that whole The Walking Dead Series... their value shot up I guess.

TexasCub

WKR
Two run ins with black bears in one hunting seasn while hunting solo led to me getting a Glock 29. it’s small enough to not be burdensome on the pack belt but overkill in the power dept.

Opah

WKR
Yes I know sadly its been in the safe for a while now, but it sure does feel and look good on my hip with brass all the way around the belt. Been thinking about a shoulder holster for my 9mm or maybe one of those in the waste band pull the flap and o have gun.
Some love affairs just don't die

TheGDog

WKR
Yes I know sadly its been in the safe for a while now, but it sure does feel and look good on my hip with brass all the way around the belt. Been thinking about a shoulder holster for my 9mm or maybe one of those in the waste band pull the flap and o have gun.
Some love affairs just don't die
Oh hey Opah! Brother hows the back of that hand/arm now man?

People... this dude here got one of thee most gnarly-looking invenomation bites from a spider you'll ever see!

Opah

WKR
Top of my hand is still numb and tingles when touched, scary when working around electricity, something will poke it and I would swear I got shocked.
Other wise all is good !

GotDraw?

WKR
S&W PD 340, 5 shot .357, titanium + scandium. Not cheap. Super light for backpacking, only 11.8 oz unloaded. 180 grain flat nose hard casts.

Mule kicker, but for close quarters only.

JL

TheGDog

WKR
S&W PD 340, 5 shot .357, titanium + scandium. Not cheap. Super light for backpacking, only 11.8 oz unloaded. 180 grain flat nose hard casts.

Mule kicker, but for close quarters only.

JL
How accurate is that one? Was looking at the one like this but with the hammer. Can you at least keep it in the black at 25yd?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Glock 20, I have 3 of them (I only carry one at a time though).

in the winter when the bears are sleeping, if I have a rifle with me I generally don’t carry a pistol.

Will_m

WKR
Isn't just bears though, there's also mountain lions, coyotes, wolves in some places, moose, other people, or even to be used as a signaling device during emergencies. If you carry a gun daily in society, it's not a bad practice to carry it in the woods as well. Now, if you were considering taking a gun only because you were concerned about bears, then I agree with you.

Anybody ever heard of a mountain lion or wolf attack on a hunter? I don't think I have.

I once heard of a coyote attack on a turkey hunter. The dog snuck in on him while he was set up and calling. He promptly beat it to death with his seat.

Will_m

WKR
How accurate is that one? Was looking at the one like this but with the hammer. Can you at least keep it in the black at 25yd?

I damn sure can't do this with a Glock 20. Not sure of the "black," but at 25 yards I have trouble hitting a paper plate. I always considered that a pretty long shot for self-defense.

TheGDog

WKR
I damn sure can't do this with a Glock 20. Not sure of the "black," but at 25 yards I have trouble hitting a paper plate. I always considered that a pretty long shot for self-defense.
Yes.. it certainly is farther than self-defense at 25yd.

Asked the question because it gives me an idea of its possible capabilities. For example, have you ever watched Paul Harrel shoot at 25yd and 50yd with a snubby? I didn't even know that kind of grouping was even possible with a snubby!

BTW, if you totally *can't* hit the black at 25yds with a Glock 20... you've either got some work to do at the range on your technique... or possibly time to visit the Opthamologist? Even with my crappy vision, I can even hit the black with my Sig P238. Certainly not all the time, but a surprising amount of the shots do. (NOTE: Not 8", the bigger one.) I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised time and time again by the accuracy of that little gun! Once you learn how to control you and your ability to shoot such a little gun like that. (2.75" barrel) That nice SA trigger is what I think makes the difference. You can do heart and head shots on a silhouette all day @15yd with that thing. The biggest challenge is just keeping yourself from shaking that tiny gun and introducing waggle to the barrel.

Will_m

WKR
Yes.. it certainly is farther than self-defense at 25yd.

Asked the question because it gives me an idea of its possible capabilities. For example, have you ever watched Paul Harrel shoot at 25yd and 50yd with a snubby? I didn't even know that kind of grouping was even possible with a snubby!

BTW, if you totally *can't* hit the black at 25yds with a Glock 20... you've either got some work to do at the range on your technique... or possibly time to visit the Opthamologist? Even with my crappy vision, I can even hit the black with my Sig P238. Certainly not all the time, but a surprising amount of the shots do. (NOTE: Not 8", the bigger one.) I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised time and time again by the accuracy of that little gun! Once you learn how to control you and your ability to shoot such a little gun like that. (2.75" barrel) That nice SA trigger is what I think makes the difference. You can do heart and head shots on a silhouette all day @15yd with that thing. The biggest challenge is just keeping yourself from shaking that tiny gun and introducing waggle to the barrel.

I suspect it's operator error. Piss poor form and 10mm certainly don't mix well at all. Just for reference what exactly is the "black?" Is that the human silhouette? I could probablu hit that lol.

Somebody want to point me in the direction of a good youtube video so I can stop embarrassing myself?

TheGDog

WKR
I suspect it's operator error. Piss poor form and 10mm certainly don't mix well at all. Just for reference what exactly is the "black?" Is that the human silhouette? I could probablu hit that lol.

Somebody want to point me in the direction of a good youtube video so I can stop embarrassing myself?
The black just refers to the black part of the circle on a standard bullseye target.

Lotsa vids on that subject. Mostly just use supporting hand from up and under. Use its thumb to pull down and lock down shooting hands thumb. And just a personal thing I do that helps me is to put index finger of supporting hand on outside front of trigger guard. Seems to make a triangle with the trigger finger and, for me, really helps fine-tune me getting the shaking out of it.

In general just think of making "Triangles" with all the various points of contact between you and the firearm, and all the things you can do to eliminate "you" and your movement out of the equation.

Biggest thing is you're probably flinching/anticipating the shot/recoil from that 10mm, and likely "punching" the trigger. I had to watch my boy a ton with that. Have somebody observe you from your shooting arm side at the range.

Calm yourself, tell yourself don't worry about the boom and the flash... say to yourself don't worry it's gonna happen anyway no matter what... just focus "out there" on the target the whole time... that.. and concentrating on executing your trigger squeeze in a very linear fashion in terms of how you increase the force on it. Think robot. Slowly steadily increasing the force until when it goes off it kinda surprises you. Think of it like how you'd squeeze a Tennis ball in your hand. And... if you didn't execute the trigger pull in a fairly brief amount of time... be ok with stopping and letting the weapon drop back down and letting yourself breath for a bit. Fairly quickly... if you haven't gotten that shot off... you start to hit a point of diminishing returns where your pulse and muscle fatigue from holding on target for too long starts making things worse and worse. It's harder to notice with iron sights... but like.. when you're trying to shoot off-hand with a scoped rifle... you'll totally see what I'm talking about in terms of how once you've gone past a certain amount of time holding on target trying to aim.. your shakes just get worse and worse.

Will_m

WKR
Biggest thing is you're probably flinching/anticipating the shot/recoil from that 10mm, and likely "punching" the trigger. I had to watch my boy a ton with that. Have somebody observe you from your shooting arm side at the range.

No doubt about this one. Did not mean to derail this thread but since we're on the topic, do I need snap caps for dry fire practice or can I dry fire with an empty chamber without risk of damage?

Titan_Bow

WKR
If I'm not in griz country I wouldn't bother carrying a side arm. If you are in black bear country and its during a season, the very best bear deterrent you could possibly have is a bear tag in your pocket!
I've started hunting in griz country some the last few years. Last year just had my bow and a can of spray. I did pick up a Glock 20 in 10mm this year, and plan to start carrying that on a chest rig when I am hunting in those areas.

Beendare

WKR
Time to trot out one of the better guys that has ever shot a semi auto fast and accurately...though the title is a bit misleading......its good advice.

rob86jeep

WKR
Anybody ever heard of a mountain lion or wolf attack on a hunter? I don't think I have.

I once heard of a coyote attack on a turkey hunter. The dog snuck in on him while he was set up and calling. He promptly beat it to death with his seat.
I can't remember the person/podcast but I was just listening to one a few months ago where a pack of wolves surrounded a bowhunter and he ended up killing 2 or 3 of them with his bow before the pack retreated.

Also just a while ago (maybe 6 months or so), there was a mountain lion that attacked a trail runner in CO. While it was a small lion, it shows that it does happen. I also have a buddy that killed a lion in Washington state while deer hunting when he just happened to look around and see it pretty close to him (and he thinks was stalking him).

While it's not the norm, all animals (even house pets) go nuts sometimes and attack people.