Thick ass puffy question

I haven't seen anyone mention the First Lite Chamberlain so I'll be that guy - I posted about mine a good while back because I hadn't seen any reviews on it https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/first-lite-chamberlain-puffy.124733/#post-1174888 and since then it has proven itself to be one of my favorite jackets (and this coming from a New England skier who has a boatload of jackets). I hunted elk the fall before last and some mornings would crawl out of my sleeping bag to greet a 17 degree morning. Hope this is useful to you and best of luck this year.

Attachments

• Nate in Wyoming - Cold Morning.jpg
    Nate in Wyoming - Cold Morning.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 66

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen anyone mention the First Lite Chamberlain so I'll be that guy - I posted about mine a good while back because I hadn't seen any reviews on it https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/first-lite-chamberlain-puffy.124733/#post-1174888 and since then it has proven itself to be one of my favorite jackets (and this coming from a New England skier who has a boatload of jackets). I hunted elk the fall before last and some mornings would crawl out of my sleeping bag to greet a 17 degree morning. Hope this is useful to you and best of luck this year.
I'm a big fan of the Chamberlin as well. It's extremely warm for its weight and packs down fairly small. I just got back from a 10 day hunt in NWT and even though temps only got below freezing one night I was glad I had it along. It's just so nice to be able to throw it on and warm up quickly. I've had it on multiple NWT sheep, Yukon and Alaska moose, and Alberta mule deer hunts and have never regretted bringing the bigger puffy for the extra 10 or so ounces. This is the fifth season I've owned it and it's still holding up great. It's also a great winter jacket for here in MN.

Not a parka per say and is made by a backpacking brand called kabatatic gear. They make a puffy that is basically a carbon copy of the stone glacier Grumman jacket but with better stats.

It’s called the katabatic gear tincup jacket
Here are the stats In size: XL
Weight: 13 oz
Down fill: 6.6 oz
Down fill power: 850+
Box baffles in the shoulders, traps, and hood.
Pertex quantum shell

The fit is pretty similar to the Grumman as well. The only hunting solid color they have is granite grey.

I've used the Kifaru Lost Park Parka full zip once on a Montana mule deer hunt. Most of the time I use an Arc'Teryx Atom Lt and layer that with a shell if needed. The Kifaru LPP is so warm that it's almost a glassing jacket. For the money the Kifaru LPP is the best bang imo. My Atom Lt goes everywhere with me.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
For really warm puffys the Snugpak SJ9 is crazy warm. Made in the UK, comes in solid colors or multicam. It’s definitely a great bang for the buck.

Marshfly

WKR
I will 4th or 10th the Montbell Alpine. Literally like stepping into a heated house. I have been warm in -15 weather in it prepping for a backcountry ski tour.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer has some good options. I have the SKRE Ptarmigan pants and like them so far. They have some down parka options also.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cumulus gear out of Poland makes some crazy warm jackets. Which is understandable, since Poland supplies most of the down for everyone else's jackets. Their Mountlite jacket is 12 oz or so with over 6oz of 900fp down. $299 is a pretty solid price for those specs. They've got a box baffled jacket with over 9oz of 850+ down that's 18oz or so. $339.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
I will 4th or 10th the Montbell Alpine. Literally like stepping into a heated house. I have been warm in -15 weather in it prepping for a backcountry ski tour.
I used the montbell a few times this year. Great glassing jacket. One morning in colorado it was *5 and I was glassing a valley with a couple of guides. 3 hours They kept popping in and out of their trucks to stay warm and I was nice and toasty. It is a great piece.