Thick ass puffy question

sneaky

"DADDY"
Montane Ground Control or RAB Generator Alpine for synthetics. Goosefeet Gear will make you a custom but now would be cutting it close on ordering timelines. PhD Designs does high end down gear as well. I think Taiga out of Canada does clothing also.

I'm one of those guys who carries a big ass puffy parka, not merely a coat. It's size XXL, so it can fit over everything else I'm wearing. And it has a hood. I like warmth.

sargent

WKR
I got a Forclaz synthetic puffy last year and it is super warm. Definitely size up on this one. My size large (I usually wear medium) weighs exactly one pound and is too warm for me to hike at all in unless it's below zero. Also, these are pretty cheap (always a bonus!)

I found a deal on a RAB positron in a color that isn’t too obnoxious and I am trying to decide between that and the Montbell alpine in black. I may order both and keep what I like.
Can't go wrong with either one. I love my Montbell and have never tried Rab. Any down jacket with 7+ ozs fill weight of 800+ fill will do. One difference with Rab and Montbell is Rab has treated down if that matters to you (winter steelheading). When its cold enough for these type of coats any precip will be dry snow. I carry a rain jacket that will fit over the down if needed. Between those two jackets get the one you can get the best deal on.

As a gear ho with everything I have many items to pick from. I make my selections based on probably temps I will be exposed to. I froze in the Kuiu down stuff and promptly sold it. The older Sitka Kelvins (vests & jackets and pants) do the job far better but once the temp drops into the teens, I have work 2 kelvin jackets, (an unhooded model on top of the hooded one). For severe, prolonged cold with wind I wear a Kifaru Parka and throw something over it if I need camo. I hate shivering. For spot & stalk bow hunts I find the Shacket to be a great piece of kit as well...keeps my truck toasty w/o impacting my form for archery.

IMG_0827.JPG

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I use the super pro from Kuiu but never wear it unless I’ve settled in for awhile to glass. I just get so hot walking that it takes me a bit to cool down enough for the puffy. Love mine!

As a gear ho with everything I have many items to pick from. I make my selections based on probably temps I will be exposed to. I froze in the Kuiu down stuff and promptly sold it. The older Sitka Kelvins (vests & jackets and pants) do the job far better but once the temp drops into the teens, I have work 2 kelvin jackets, (an unhooded model on top of the hooded one). For severe, prolonged cold with wind I wear a Kifaru Parka and throw something over it if I need camo. I hate shivering. For spot & stalk bow hunts I find the Shacket to be a great piece of kit as well...keeps my truck toasty w/o impacting my form for archery.

View attachment 435227
I'm a freeze baby now myself. I get cold the house at 68 degrees. It's bad.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I use a filson down puffy, not the lightest but definitely the warmest. Older I get the more I hate being cold, worth the weight to me.
Me too. I bought one off ebay. Mine has 850fp, while some only have 750fp. I believe they have around 7oz of down. I think if you dig hard enough on here there is a thread with a post that someone stated the exact amount. For the $150 I paid for mine, it far exceeds a hunting brand puffy, unless you want to spend $800 on a burner, which is only a fancy montbell permafrost.
I know Filson is a hipster company now, but I use a lot of their clothing for hunting. It’s durable, and warm. A bit heavy, but Im not one of those that expect an emergency space blanket to keep me warm

MtnMuley

WKR
I have several puffys and the biggest, bulkiest, and by far warmest I have is the Kuiu Burner. Certain applications it's great.

OP
Desk Jockey
So adding this for posterity in case anyone else goes down this path. The RAB positron and the Montbell alpine showed up. Here are some quick impressions:

Montbell alpine - black - XXL $300 from Montbell - Fit is good. Not quite as roomy as I want but close. Easily handles a soft-shell underneath and more room to layer. Design is fine, if not a bit "classic". Two handwarmer pockets is all. Sleeves are plenty long. The XXL is ~21oz. It is noticeably less "puffy" than the RAB, ie the loft is less thick all around. It is also a lighter weight and by appearances more delicate outer fabric. I feel like it is a good jacket but not enough of a jump up in warmth from my lighter down jackets to make me completely happy.

RAB positron - Aspen (green) - XXL $200 from Moosejaw / Mountain Steals - Fit is not good. A bit slimmer throughout the shoulders, chest and waist. I am on the husky side, but don't have much of a gut. If you do, this is not your jacket. The key issue for me is the arms. The length is good but the upper arm is too tight. If feels snug with a tshirt and tight with layers under it. it constricts my elbows when I bend them. I lift but I am not toting around huge guns, but this doesn't work, so unfortunately, it is a deal breaker. Apart from that, the outer fabric is heavier and appears more durable, like a ripstop type nylon. It also has treated down and more of it. The downside is the XXL weighs ~31oz. Has two handwarmer and one each chest pocket inside and outside. Design is slicker and more modern (newer hardware, hood adjustment, etc.) in a way that enhances it a bit but probably doesn't truly impact performance. The Aspen color is just a shade or two from obnoxious. Kind of a lime green or the inside of a ripe avocado. The interior lining is mustard yellow.

Verdict: the RAB is going back due to fit. I like the Montbell but don't love it so I am going to keep it for a few weeks while I wait on an OR Coldfront Down Jacket and Marmot Mens Guide Down Hoody. Were it not for the fit and slightly obnoxious color, I think I could have been happy with the RAB.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I have an Alpine Light parka (12-14 years old now)- for 13 oz (5 oz of 800 down) it punches well above it's weight; looks like the Alpine is 16 oz w/ 7 oz of down- not too shabby

I believe their heaviest (ie most down) is the Permafrost- almost 10 oz of down, 25 oz total- it also uses a Goretex Windstopper fabric which is waterproof (for all intensive purposes) and extremely windproof; that would be a big time toaster!!!

OP
Desk Jockey
OR Coldfront Down Jacket - Black - XXXL - $229 from OR. Fit is fine. No cuff adjustments and a few other features missing. Its thinner than the marmot and Montbell and doesn't appear that warm. The out shell is heavier weight but overall weight is 25.6 oz. Overall this feels more like a causal jacket that could do OK in the mountains but that isn't really designed for it. It also doesn't seem to be in the same class as the other for warmth. Catch and release For me.

Marmot Mens Guide Down Hoody - Black XXXL - $300 from Moosejaw. Fit is huge. Granted it is a XXXL but it is enormous. Sleeves and shoulders are great. Much more room than I need in the midsection. If you have a gut, check this one out. It would easily go over all my layers and still have room to spare. seems well built and has plenty of features. However, if is probably a little too big and at 32oz, the heaviest of the bunch and puts it on par with my patagonia synthetic parka. it also doesn't have as much loft and I presume warmth as the Montbell, which is the current top contender. I like it. If I had bought in a store and tried the XXL, i might have liked it more But I am not going to bother exchanging it.

I think I am going to leave it there and keep the Montbell. The Montbell is a little smaller and slimmer fitting than I had originally hoped for but it is quite a bit loftier than my "midweight" down stuff and I hope warmer as well. The slim fit will mean it can work under a shell as an insulating piece, although that wasn't my original plan, but with a bit of further thought, having something lighter and more compressible than my synthetic parka is probably the better call. More range of function between the two jackets.

Last edited:
What is replacing the Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoodie? I have a Kuiu Super Down Pro that I keep in my pack. I'm curious what is Sitka's new equivalent.

OP
Desk Jockey
What is replacing the Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoodie? I have a Kuiu Super Down Pro that I keep in my pack. I'm curious what is Sitka's new equivalent.
No. I have a synthetic Patagonia parka in fatigue or olive green. Fairly warm. Bulky. 32 oz. I considered the Sitka but really wanted a solid color to pull double duty when not hunting.

the super down was on my list but some said it wasn’t very warm.