What shooting position were you in for your last shot at an elk?

What shooting position was your last shot from

• Prone

Votes: 85 31.4%
  • Sitting with bipod/tripod/fixed support

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Sitting without support

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Standing with support

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Off hand

Votes: 63 23.2%

• Total voters

Wapiti1

WKR
If I think back, roughly 80% of the elk that I've shot with a rifle, I was standing using a convenient tree for support. The others were off a bipod, rocks, pack, or other ground based support.

Jeremy

The last two with a rifle were seated, elbows to my knees at short range. The previous to that was crouched behind a log with it as my rest.

ewade07

WKR
Prone, facing downhill off a bipod. Was shooting up at the lead cow. She stepped into an opening in the trees and I let her have it at 350 yds.

Prone under a tree. On the edge of a field in about a foot of snow. Forearm on a log, butt of the stock resting on my pack. Like shooting off a bench...325 yds

I'm planning on a lot more practice from different shooting positions this year. Prone was not an option for my shot this year. Curious what positions others ended up shooting from this year.
I’ve shot 10 and probably 9 of them were offhand. All under 100 yards

TDawg

FNG
As an archery hunter, almost always standing offhand. That said, with a rifle I usually find support (kneeling, standing or prone). Last few with rifle have been 30-100 yards.

slick

WKR
Prone over pack shooting into a basin from a ridgeline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelhead

FNG
almost all either on my butt or on a knee with support elbow resting on bent knee...depending on the steepness of the terrain. All elk taken under 200 yards. I tent to only shoot standing off-hand when I'm very certain of my stability...but most of my shots are taken without much time to "setup".

JakeSCH

WKR
I selected sitting, but I was actually on one knee with GTP-RS / bipod using my pack as rear support. My other elk I took this year was prone with bipod.

Kneeling, rifle rested on top of binos/tripod. Came from my right side while glassing, bull in tow. 200 yards approx. Nailed him clean

nphunter

WKR
Standing with a bow in my hand:) I prefer a good rest shooting a rifle, my son shot his bull this fall off of a primos shooting stick that I held for him, my wife shot her cow prone off of a rock, my youngest shot his buck kneeling using my tripod for my spotter as a rest. I shot my deer this fall with my muzzleloader prone using my bino harness as a rest.