Which company has the best base layers

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
I was just about to say what Mtnwarden said. Merino simply won’t dry fast enough or keep you warm if it’s soaked in sweat. I like thin fleece the most. If I’m moving or climbing I use two thin layers that I can swap when I stop, the wet one can hang in the pack if it’s not raining. Fleece can be wrung out and put back on.

mjs270

FNG
I have both Sitka and First Lite, can't say one is any better than the other. they both have their purpose. I run Sitka when still hunting and First Lite when stationary. Wouldn't buy either at full-price since they all have sales throughout the year.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
I couldnt be happier with my SG set. Definitely holds up better to abrasion than a 100% product

sneaky

"DADDY"
Merino wool is the way to go.

The fit and comfort of first lite base layers are worth the price tag to me. It all starts with the base layers and next to skin layers. I’ve had mine for 4 years and I wear them every single hunt, some signs of wear but no holes! I think durability comes along with a price tag as well.
You're truly fortunate. Every piece of FL merino I have looks like it's been shot with a shotgun. My Black Ovis merino blends don't even show signs of wear after 3yrs or so of year round use. FL has a lot of options, but their durability is severely lacking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was just about to say what Mtnwarden said. Merino simply won’t dry fast enough or keep you warm if it’s soaked in sweat. I like thin fleece the most. If I’m moving or climbing I use two thin layers that I can swap when I stop, the wet one can hang in the pack if it’s not raining. Fleece can be wrung out and put back on.
Wool retains 80% or more of its insulative properties when wet. That's one of the key arguments for using it vs. cotton or synthetics. If they're soaked, merino can be wrung out as well with the advantage of still retaining most of its insuation value when damp.

I agree the merino/spandex type blends may be more durable long term. But if you're looking for maximum insulation, wicking, drying, and odor control, in the lightest package, my vote still goes for 100% Merino based on my experience. That goes for socks and base layers.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Wool retains 80% or more of its insulative properties when wet. That's one of the key arguments for using it vs. cotton or synthetics. If they're soaked, merino can be wrung out as well with the advantage of still retaining most of its insuation value when damp.

I agree the merino/spandex type blends may be more durable long term. But if you're looking for maximum insulation, wicking, drying, and odor control, in the lightest package, my vote still goes for 100% Merino based on my experience. That goes for socks and base layers.

It better be warm because it stays wet forever. I learned long ago, 100% merino is great for summer through mid September but sucks for cold weather hunts where you have a hard pull to start the day and get sweaty then sit for awhile.

I much prefer blends like Aerowool. For some reason Sitka's blend makes me itch. Going to have to give SG a try I've heard nothing but great things. But when it gets really cold I do love a good synthetic like the Kuiu P 97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It better be warm because it stays wet forever. I learned long ago, 100% merino is great for summer through mid September but sucks for cold weather hunts where you have a hard pull to start the day and get sweaty then sit for awhile.

I much prefer blends like Aerowool. For some reason Sitka's blend makes me itch. Going to have to give SG a try I've heard nothing but great things. But when it gets really cold I do love a good synthetic like the Kuiu P 97.

My daughters and I wore 250 weight half zip tops and bottoms throughout the late muzzleloader season here in Iowa. We sat on the ground multiple times in negative wind chills for hours. This stuff flat works for the cold as a base layer in my experience.

That being said, the longest walk we had going in was about a mile, and we learned a long time ago to always start out cold; packing multiple outer layers (parkas, bibs, etc...) in backpacks until we get to the destination. If you're comfortable when you get out of the truck, you will be a hot, sweaty, mess by the time you get up the hill. We also stop often to avoid heavy exertion and to deliberately mitigate sweating.

If you can't mitigate sweating on the way up and into an area, I'm not sure there is a base layer that will prevent you from getting cold once you arrive. The guides in our camp in NW MT were old school and had 2 things to say about clothes and layering-

1- leave your cotton at home
2- bring multiple pairs of wool socks, wool long underwear, and a sturdy wool coat and pants if you can afford it.

The one day that we had snow and rain all day, every guide in camp had on their "woolies". Pendleton, Big Bill, or similar, pants with gators and insulated wool flannels on top with oiled dusters. We rode horses through the worst of the cover and hiked the last mile or so every day.

You're truly fortunate. Every piece of FL merino I have looks like it's been shot with a shotgun. My Black Ovis merino blends don't even show signs of wear after 3yrs or so of year round use. FL has a lot of options, but their durability is severely lacking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yikes!! Sorry to hear that. I’m fortunate I don’t have those problems. In the future I would be opposed to trying black Ovis, smart wool, minus 33, Icebreaker, etc.

They all seem fairly price competitive.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My daughters and I wore 250 weight half zip tops and bottoms throughout the late muzzleloader season here in Iowa. We sat on the ground multiple times in negative wind chills for hours. This stuff flat works for the cold as a base layer in my experience.

That being said, the longest walk we had going in was about a mile, and we learned a long time ago to always start out cold; packing multiple outer layers (parkas, bibs, etc...) in backpacks until we get to the destination. If you're comfortable when you get out of the truck, you will be a hot, sweaty, mess by the time you get up the hill. We also stop often to avoid heavy exertion and to deliberately mitigate sweating.

If you can't mitigate sweating on the way up and into an area, I'm not sure there is a base layer that will prevent you from getting cold once you arrive. The guides in our camp in NW MT were old school and had 2 things to say about clothes and layering-

1- leave your cotton at home
2- bring multiple pairs of wool socks, wool long underwear, and a sturdy wool coat and pants if you can afford it.

The one day that we had snow and rain all day, every guide in camp had on their "woolies". Pendleton, Big Bill, or similar, pants with gators and insulated wool flannels on top with oiled dusters. We rode horses through the worst of the cover and hiked the last mile or so every day.

Horses = Wood stoves. If you can dry everything out at night clothing matters less.

100% Merino is terrible on cold multi day hunts where you can't dry things out.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I took some merino base layers on a 4th season hunt 2 years ago. That was a learning experience.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a heavy sweater, but the dry time of a good synthetic makes it a no brainer for me when I'm doing active hunts in cold weather. I still use a Black Ovis 150 hoodie some as well, but it's a 50/50 blend. Peloton 97 are my favorite of what I've used, by far.

And I definitely manage perspiration as much as I can, but when I have a big climb in the morning to get to a glassing spot, I personally am going to sweat, even if it's just under my back and binos. And that's often just hiking in a base layer top.

Horses = Wood stoves. If you can dry everything out at night clothing matters less.

100% Merino is terrible on cold multi day hunts where you can't dry things out.

Understood and good call out there. I’m packing in DIY this fall and I will consider this wisdom when I update gear- thanks!

ohoopee

WKR
I have most but I put on Woolpower when I know it will be cold. Has lasted
longer also.

Gunny

FNG
Has anyone tried smartwool top or bottom base layers?

I like their socks & wonder about the tops & bottoms.

Mirxivus

FNG
There are tons of companies that make merino base layers. Just do an Amazon search. Smartwool, Meriwool, and others make fine base layers that are most often far cheaper than the “hunting” brands mentioned in this thread as the “best”.

I have no doubt that FL, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Sitka make great gear, but I’m not sure the lemon is worth the squeeze ($$$) when it comes to base layers.

As mentioned before, the Meriwool stuff I bought has been excellent. I wore these against my skin for the last 3 weeks during the Iowa late muzzleloader season and haven’t washed them yet. They do not smell, the stitching is still 100%, and there is no piling.

You can get both the 250 weight 100% merino half zip tops and matching bottoms for $60 each on Amazon. That is 40-50% cheaper than the hunting name brands on this thread.
Finally an affordable Merino brand! Thanks for bringing Meriwool up, I'd found all the other brands besides it.

While you're at it, what do you prefer for your outer layer?

I wore my first lite wick for 9 days straight, sweating in Colorado and it didn't have a bit of odor to it. I may try smartwool just to see how it compares.