Who hunts in tennis shoes??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here's a way to look at water proof running style shoes : a bowl, water gets in and stays in.

Exactly!!! Really would like to try some non-gtx Salomon boots but don't want to deal with boot fulls of water trapped in there.

I've been wearing Salomon trail runners for a few years after getting rid of my heavy leather boots. The first year I had a pair of Salomons that breathed really well and thought I needed GTX, so I purchased a pair off STP. It was a mistake as my feet cooked in them as they didn't allow my feet to breathe. Now my go to shoe is a Salomon XT Wings 3. I like them as they have a beefy rubber toe rand that's protective.

As others have said, I've backpacked and hunted for several years in trail runners hauling a heavy load without any issue. I've been in hunting camps where the guys with the heavy boots tell me that I'm going to roll an ankle. Plus, I find that they allow me to be much more quiet versus a heavy boot.

jb79

WKR
I ran the speed cross 3 last year for the first time and really liked them but the gaiters i got were destroyed in the first couple of days ( rei brand). By day six my feet were a little tired so I switch back to my boots killed an elk and was happy I had my boots on..... But haven't packed heavy loads in the speed cross so I might have been fine.
It was nice getting back to camp and not being the guy ringing sweet out of my socks

Luke,
Do you have a preferred sock to wear in your Solomon's? Have you found a thinner wool type sock to be better than a heavier sock? I'm pondering going to a shoe for those areas in a hunt where I'm along river corridors and gravel bars, hopping in and out of braided streams. Hauling the Barney's Glacier Socks and a pair of camp shoes might be worth just taking a pair of trail shoes for me in the long run and efficiency side of things.

TheTone

WKR
Killed my bull last year wearing a pair of bright green Brooks Cascadia trail runners; loved it! For days wear I expect to stay dry and not have real crazy terrain I'll be hunting in them or something similar this fall.

I have a small peice of advice: before you order or buy a pair of trail runners, measure or have someone measure your feet on a brannock device -old school foot measurer. I manage a running store and THE most common mistake I see in purchasing footwear is buying the incorrect size. Size your foot then buy a half to full size larger. Your feet will thank you!

I have a small peice of advice: before you order or buy a pair of trail runners, measure or have someone measure your feet on a brannock device -old school foot measurer. I manage a running store and THE most common mistake I see in purchasing footwear is buying the incorrect size. Size your foot then buy a half to full size larger. Your feet will thank you!

I am just barely over the 4E line on a Brannock, so unfortunately 5E/6E boots are impossible to find. I end up sizing up a full size and rolling 3E from Bates, but not a whole lot of options for the super-wide. I have some mid-cut tex hikers from NB in 6E, but not something I would wear in wet/muddy conditions. Would love to fins a good 8" boot in 5E/6E or even 4E.

I had foot surgery a little over a year ago and never really payed much attention to my footwear before, but now I spend descent money and always use aftermarket insoles. Unfortunately the insoles that feel best were the custom met pad ones from NB which are not available anywhere but in store for almost $100 for the friggen insoles.

Ironman8

WKR
Ha I started a thread asking about this last year. Seems even more people are doing this now than before. I'm still thinking about it, but haven't switched over just due to the packing out 80+ pounds part of it. No issues for you guys that have done this? Feet don't feel beat up compared to boots after hauling heavy loads for an extended period of time?

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
Titanium Camo, I noticed when I got them that they were lighter than what the website has them. I like that they are the subdued graphics with no reflective markings (except for rear which I blacked out with a sharpie marker)

chessie

FNG
I used the speedcross 3 all of archery elk last year in WY. I thought going in I was only going to use for scouting but they worked so good, I just kept it rolling even for the meat haul. Only issues were all the sharp pokey rocks that eventually made my feet tender - aftermarket insoles helped a bunch. I used lathrop for some and green superfeet for some. The other problem was 2 days of wet rainy weather that let my feet slide some on the steep ups and downs. That led to some sore pinky toes.

Overall 7/10 would do again. I had some Lowa Tibets that I intended to swap after the first load of meat, but didn't make the change. The packout was really rough with the steep ups and down being pretty rocky. I think if I had it to do over on the packout, I would have switched. I got along ok but I think I was playing with fire a little.

I'm still looking for the perfect shoe. Would also agree with the above advice of sizing up some. Especially if swapping out the insoles.

Only question I have is if Luke or anyone has tried waterproof socks for those extended periods of wet. If that would help keep the sliding to a minimum or if it doesn't help much?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha I started a thread asking about this last year. Seems even more people are doing this now than before. I'm still thinking about it, but haven't switched over just due to the packing out 80+ pounds part of it. No issues for you guys that have done this? Feet don't feel beat up compared to boots after hauling heavy loads for an extended period of time?

adding a stiff after market insole makes a huge difference in the torsional ridgidity (I use green or pink superfeet) and helps when packing in uneven terrain. We pack moderate loads all summer for backpacking and packraft trips all summer, and even pack outt several caribou annually without issue. if anything I feel like it strengthens my stabilizer muscles so come fall when I am in the mountains wearing more supportive boots I feel stronger.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke,
Do you have a preferred sock to wear in your Solomon's? Have you found a thinner wool type sock to be better than a heavier sock? I'm pondering going to a shoe for those areas in a hunt where I'm along river corridors and gravel bars, hopping in and out of braided streams. Hauling the Barney's Glacier Socks and a pair of camp shoes might be worth just taking a pair of trail shoes for me in the long run and efficiency side of things.

A thinner merino sock seems to work well, less fabric to absorb water and also less fabric to bunch up once they get wet--also dry faster. Any good thin trail sock will do, just know that once you start rokking them in trail runners they will turn the color of mud and never look the same again.

We have also recently been trying a thin neoprene sock (2mm neosport brand) and been pleased with them. Keep your feet warmer in cold AK creeks and swamps, as well as keeping fine sand/gravel out (which has occasionally been an issue in the past). Can't speak to long term durability yet because we just started using them...

I know I am not Luke, but I do wash his socks :)

Thanks Becca, that's good information and kind of what I was thinking....a thinner sock for less water absorption. I've used the thin neoprene socks for years with Keen water sandals in the Spring time to keep my circulation alive. They work well for that, but if any grit or small gravel gets between the shoe and neoprene, it doesn't take long to get holes wearing through. For short day hikes and trips without extra weight on my back they work decent.

I think my wife would just prefer that I use Chaco Z sandals in the water and forego socks all together. :)

charvey9

WKR
I have hunted in running shoes, but only on day hunts. Can't stand wet feet. I'd really like to hunt in shoes because you can move more quietly, but would not want to have them as my only footwear in the backcountry. I did just buy a pair of New Balance Minimus Hi-Rez barefoot running shoes. At 6oz per pair they are lighter than flip flops and will be my camp shoes. Hoping they can also double as my day hikers when going out light. We'll see how they hold up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

Yeah Becca nailed it. I have just worn standard Costco merino wool socks in my Salomons for years. They are cheap and walking in wet shoes for lots of miles isn't too nice to socks so I wouldn't use my spendy darn toughs for this application thats for sure.

My feet are pretty unpicky as far as footwear goes and not prone to blisters. That said I did get a bit too much glacial silt on my sock while hiking 12 miles out from our caribou hunt and ended up with a hot spot on my heal for the first time due to all the grit.

Like Becca mentioned, the last two trips we have done this year we have used thin neoprene socks and so far they have been great. Comfy and provide a bit of warmth for wet tromps through swamps and cross crossings that the merino could do. Furthermore they also do an excellent job at keeping my feet clean. I have been amazed that when I pull the neoprene socks off at night how pastey white my feet look compared to the standard gritty and muddy feet I accustomed to seeing when I peel off my merinos after a long day of hiking in them.

We are going to be taking off on a 120 mile trek here in about a week and hope to further put the neoprene to the test, will keep ya posted, but so far so good with the neoprene socks.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I will be running these with Sitka Flash Gaiters this season.

I got a pair of those as well brand new cause they were on sale. Almost too pretty to use! I will keep using my uglier pair until they give up the ghost. Really like them though!

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
Same here I have a plain grey pair that are my work horses that I use for all my runs and hikes. Im saving the new ones for this August. It like being a kid waiting for school to start so you can wear your new shoes.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425