Who hunts in tennis shoes??

AMann

FNG
I can't stand even mid level hiking boots. I've been trying to like my Salomon GTX for the 5 months but can't ever foresee giving them the nod during hunting season. I'm in my mid 20s athletic, quick footed and don't have any ankle issues. Over the past 3 years I've ran Roclites and Salomon low profile shoes with gore tex liners. Both liners failed with in a few months of heavy use. This year for archery season I'm considering saving myself a couple dollars, ditching the "waterproof" liners all together and rocking some $60 New Balances or something. Anyone else in the same boat? Suggestions?

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I've yet to see Gortex make it 3 months in work or hiking boots. Depends on how tough your feet are? Yours sound tough. The greatest mountain hunter I know wears Chuck Taylor converse. Rain snow or shine. He's a damn mtn goat in great shape. He's got the Crocodile Hunters enthusiasm. He's 45 years old. Only know one other guy that could keep up with him...Maybe...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I do a all my summer backpacking and packrafting and a good deal of my long distance hunting that doesn't involve steep terrain (sheep and goats) in Salomon Speedcross 3s. Of course I get the non-GTX model and just hike in wet feet all day long and then swap to dry socks and UL camp shoes in the evening to give them time to breath. So nice to not have to pick your spots on little creek crossings or swamps. Just go and don't try to tip toe around to keep them GTX boots dry.

I love my GTX mountain boots when I am in the steep stuff with a heavy load, but I really like my Salomon Speedcross for most all my hiking even with heavier loads on moderate terrain. As a lot of my hikes involve a lot of water crossings and wet ground so I just for go wet feet. Once you get used to it you won't go back....kinda like floorless tents ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The wet doesn't bother me much unless it's winter hunting, but I can't stand all the sticks and debris, pine needles, and burrs stuck in my socks and down my shoes, so there's no way I could run tennies for hunting.

Those Chuck Taylors have so little sole on them, I'd need a week to recover after a single day of hunting in those things. Might as well wear moccasins. I wore Chucks every day for years, even when they weren't "cool".......but I think you need to condition your feet for them. Probably not good for them in the long run either without any arch whatsoever. Kind of funny though, I was just showing my girls my still new in the box "Made in the USA" Chucks the other day.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah I had trouble with sticks and stuff in my Salomon Speedcrosses until I started running trail gaiters like these:

http://www.climbcoop.com/Mountain-H...urce=froogle&gclid=CNCXkt7VoMYCFZFefgodtLEADA

Keeps all the crap out. But yeah if its gonna be below freezing much of the time just going with wet feet isn't the ideal choice certainly, but for much of my hunts up through early Sept here in Alaska it works out pretty well.

I just did 16 miles round trip with 55lbs wearing salomon 3d trail runners. They were awesome. They might get the nod for elk season this year!

OP
A

AMann

FNG
I hunted 26 days last archery season and had around 20 days of scouting on them prior to season. By the end of the season this is what I was working with...

I could see my pinky toe on both sides half way through September. I'm surprised they "lasted" until the end of season.

Luke, do you have similar issues with your Speedcrosses? Other than durability I was completely satisfied with my roclites and would like something similar with a slightly longer lifespan. I don't want a stiff sole as I prefer feeling what I'm stepping on. My caveman feet are conditioned enough to where a feather lite sole doesn't bother me. Open to any suggestions from people with experience.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah Salomons usually last me 1-2 seasons then I need a new pair. But given the miles I put on them and the in and out of water and such I think thats about as much as I can expect. I do put orange superfeet in my Salomons though.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I can't stand even mid level hiking boots. I've been trying to like my Salomon GTX for the 5 months but can't ever foresee giving them the nod during hunting season. I'm in my mid 20s athletic, quick footed and don't have any ankle issues. Over the past 3 years I've ran Roclites and Salomon low profile shoes with gore tex liners. Both liners failed with in a few months of heavy use. This year for archery season I'm considering saving myself a couple dollars, ditching the "waterproof" liners all together and rocking some $60 New Balances or something. Anyone else in the same boat? Suggestions?

I used Merrell Proterras last year... they are a zero drop minimalist hiking shoe with the Gore Tex. Thin soles. They were great on my hunt. That said... couple winter snowstorms and they started leaking badly. Had less than 20 days on them. So on the look for a new shoe. I may go with roclites. I can't stand clomping around in a pair of 4lb boots either.

chenger

FNG
I wear zero-drop minimalist trail runners for all my hiking/running/backpacking/hunting. The lack of excess shoe material and their ability to breath as well as drain water when they get wet is much more convenient than trying to keep your boots and feet dry or drying out your boots overnight. It's also much nicer when covering lots of miles to be wearing shoes that around only a few ounces compared to several pound boots.

I run Bates military style side zip gore tex and they have held up fairly well so far. Only complaint is they don't have one-way water vents like some and once you do get them wet it holds it in. Which would be good for cold weather situations as the water will work as an insulator. It's almost inevitable that I will cross a creek that is a little too deep or slip off a rock and get the water up and over the top at least when the creeks are running high here in the spring and summer, not so much in the fall. There are a few options, but I think mine are the GX-8 model.

That being said, the best hunter I know hunts in beat up old tennis shoes. However, he did sprain his ankle one year and we are in pretty dry terrain. I have noticed that it allows him to move quieter though.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a fair share of antelope and mule deer hunting in some Nike running shoes. Usually in more open country with less steep terrain. As other have stated they are not as durable, but I love the free feel of them compared to my hunting boots during the warmer time of the year.

twall13

WKR
I've been considering making the switch as I can notice a significant difference in my energy levels towards the end of the day when I'm wearing minimalist shoes vs. boots out hiking. In actual hunting situations I've always used boots but comparing the two I might give it a shot.

I've never really understood the desire for goretex in a shoe as low cut as a tennis shoe though. At that point your feet are simply going to get wet in the backcountry; I'd rather have a quick drying non GTX model that breathes well than deal with the goretex if I'm running a trail runner type shoe. I do like goretex in some of my insulated, taller boots but again, those are more for winter conditions.

My main reason for sticking with taller boots was always the sticks and pebbles that find their way into my shoes but now that I've been using gaiters that problem is resolved. Great thread.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never really understood the desire for goretex in a shoe as low cut as a tennis shoe though. At that point your feet are simply going to get wet in the backcountry; I'd rather have a quick drying non GTX model that breathes well than deal with the goretex if I'm running a trail runner type shoe. I do like goretex in some of my insulated, taller boots but again, those are more for winter conditions.

Pretty much my feeling as well. Using the non GTX Salomons means the water can drain out easily, and while my socks stay damp they aren't water logged the way they are when you go over the top of Goretex shoes or boots.

I spend most of the summer backpacking and Packrafting in trail runners, as well as at least one caribou hunt in August. Pretty much only switch to hiking boots when I need the support of a stiffer shank and more ankle support for mountain hunting with a heavier load.

_Nick_

WKR
I do (New Balance Minimus). Once I got rid of the heavy boots for backpacking/hiking/hunting I've never looked back. If I hunted in snow I'd have to figure something out, but I'd still try to go as light/flexible as possible. My feet used to be narrow and feeble looking, constantly encased in super supportive shoes with orthodics. Now they're thick and strong. I haven't rolled an ankle since I got rid of my 'ankle protecting' boots...