Who hunts in tennis shoes??

chindits

WKR
I ran into two problems with non gtx shoes. The dust in that redrock canyon country easily permeated the salomon shoes I was wearing. The toe area of the shoes actually packed full of red dust and sand requiring me to dump my shoes from time to time. I also discovered that I would rather have warm wet feet then cold wet feet. So on those mid Sept ROMO hunting days A gtx shoe slows the water exchange in dew saturated grass, so even if my feet are wet in disfunctional gtx they are warmer then non gtx shoes. It's all about the rate of exchange. On the other hand, I never felt that my feet were hot in gtx. But then it's all relative and everywhere I hunt is cooler then Iraq.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Having tried GTX shoes I found that me feet were no warmer in GTX then non-GTX for the type of hiking I do. Going over the shoe tops often in swamps and creeks meant plenty of new water comes in. Also since they didn't drain well they seemed heavier to me since they retained water weight once out of the swamp or creek crossing.

Still waiting for Salomon to make a non-GTX boot like Brock reviewed last year. That could be a sweet all-round boot for much of my uses.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Altra Lone Peaks for running, backpacking and hunting. Always wear merino wool Darn Tough socks and/or neoprene socks. The Altra Brand have a nice wide forefoot and are extremely comfortable. The key is too do all your training in a less supportive shoe than what you are going to hit the trail in. I wear minimalist shoes like Merrell Vapor Gloves or Vivobarefoot shoes all the time to strengthen my feet, so when I really start beating up my feet with a heavy backpack in my Altras, my feet are ready.

Fireguy

WKR
Just had knee surgery and the doc said to ditch traditional running shoes with the high heel to toe drop. He is a hunter too and also mentioned that he is a fan of a lightweight hiking shoe as opposed to heavy traditional mountain boots.

I despise boots. I am always in hikers, mainly non goretex. The comfort and weight just can't be beat. I do have a really nice $500 pair of boots that I break out if there's snow on the ground or cold and wet. I can't do trail runners tho I use to wear regular running shoes while scouting in the summer. Too much dirt gets in when descending down steep ridges so i stick with mids that are around 5". Walk 10 miles in 4+lb boots then do the same route in 2-lb of hikers and there's a huge difference in how your feet and body feel at the end.

well you guys talked me into it. Speedcross and sitka gaiters just arrived. The feel great but I'm a bit leary on how they will do for me with a 40 pound pack on. I'm hopeful though and will need to start doing some training runs with them. I thought lukes advice of some more sturdy insoles was good advice. I tried some superfeet oranges in there but ran into an issue. see paste below from another thread I just started. Any advice is appreciated:

I've been needing additional arch support from my insole and went with the superfeet orange because they rated quite highly for this. Well I purchased the size for my shoe size and trimmed them using the stock insole as a template and put them in. They seem to fit perfectly in the shoe. The issue is it seems like the arch support for the insole feels like its too far back toward my heel. It's not under my arch. It feels like it needs to be 1-1.5 inches further forward to be under my arch. Has anyone else experienced this? I was wondering if it might work to buy a size or two larger insole and then I would just have to trim them more, then maybe the arch would be further forward. I'm just wondering if my feet are a little differently shaped and my arch is further forward than most???

Back in the '70's (teenage years) I remember my cousins hunting in converse and wool socks. I had to wear rubber boots under dads tutelage. This is in the coast region of PNW. I wouldn't go that extreme but could consider low hikers with gators to keep dirt and debris out of shoes. Native americans wore moccasins for many years. Hiking on gravel for extended time with thin soled shoes is tough on feet.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read all this but wanted to say I have a few times for archery- besides the stickers in my socks and tired ankles, it is awesome

OP
A

AMann

FNG
I did about 25 miles over the last 3 days in a pair of Reebok running shoes. Like others have mentioned, I did run into a few issues with dirt and debris working in through the mesh. I loved how quickly they dried after crossing streams but don't think I liked them enough to hunt in them. So I just pulled the trigger on some Salomon Speedcrosses. They look liked a pretty solid shoe and similar to the Roclites I liked so much. I just hope they last a bit longer. Thanks to Luke, Becca and others for your recommendations. Now I just need to find a decent low cut gaiter to go with them...

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
5 years ago I bugled in a 5x6 bull elk that my best friend shot while he was in shorts and flip flops in a hot muzzleloading afternoon. We ran out of food and water a day and a half before and went to town got refreshed and more water and food headed to camp. Very hot out and he wears flip flops all summer So his feet are like leather. I was shirtless under my pack as I didn't want to get soaked in sweat.

twall13

WKR
Now I just need to find a decent low cut gaiter to go with them...

I just picked up a set of First Lite gaiters and they seem to fit the bill. They are slightly cheaper at Black Ovis. They are tight enough that I can't get them over a pair of 8" high boots. I was able to get them over some 6" high boots with a bit of effort and once in place they were so comfortable I forgot they were there. I haven't worn them with any trail runners yet but I think they would work. They are a pretty reasonable price too, IMO but I have no idea on their longevity.

If you want something even shorter you could always look at Salomon's gaiters.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
well you guys talked me into it. Speedcross and sitka gaiters just arrived. The feel great but I'm a bit leary on how they will do for me with a 40 pound pack on. I'm hopeful though and will need to start doing some training runs with them. I thought lukes advice of some more sturdy insoles was good advice. I tried some superfeet oranges in there but ran into an issue. see paste below from another thread I just started. Any advice is appreciated:

I've been needing additional arch support from my insole and went with the superfeet orange because they rated quite highly for this. Well I purchased the size for my shoe size and trimmed them using the stock insole as a template and put them in. They seem to fit perfectly in the shoe. The issue is it seems like the arch support for the insole feels like its too far back toward my heel. It's not under my arch. It feels like it needs to be 1-1.5 inches further forward to be under my arch. Has anyone else experienced this? I was wondering if it might work to buy a size or two larger insole and then I would just have to trim them more, then maybe the arch would be further forward. I'm just wondering if my feet are a little differently shaped and my arch is further forward than most???

I had the same problem with the Orange Super feet. They made my heel ride too high in the back of the shoe causing a huge blister on a my first run with them. I have over 200 plus mile in the shoes with no problems. I switched to the green super feet and like them way better.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I wear UA speed freak chaos. They are 7 inches high but I don't notice it. Super light, breathable. And flexible but better support than my trail runners. After stubbing my toe pretty bad I upgraded to the chaos. Best of both worlds. The most comfortable "boot" I own hands down.

I've hunted numerous early seasons in my chuck taylors. Last year went to Under Armor Speed Freaks and although they were comfortable my feet got soaked and got squishy. Returned those and picked up the Solomon 3d GTX, been scouting with them and I like them but may just stay with the chucks again for september.

**edit: I keep a set of Danner boots in my vehicle for packouts. Dont want meat on the back wearing chuck taylors

Last edited:
Here in FarNorCal, with very steep terrain and dry, hot temperatures I have been very pleased with a mid-top, molded sole baseball cleat. Great traction, toe room, little slippage with the ankle strap and high enough to keep most of the debris out of the shoe. Anybody else tried this? Durable, comfortable and only about 12 oz each. http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:207584/sku:64626010/nike-huarache-keystone-mid-mens/black/white/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

With a pair of green Superfeet and dry-fit socks (with wool outer sock when it gets colder) I have been as comfortable as I am walking the dogs in running shoes through the neighborhood.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a pair of salomon speed cross 3 .. Going to give them a go.. Thanks for this thread guys.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair and I had to get them a half size larger than I normally wear. I was lucky enough to be able to try them on first. You will like them. The only thing is the soles are a bit narrower than I would like.
I just ordered a pair of salomon speed cross 3 .. Going to give them a go.. Thanks for this thread guys.