10mm Ammo would you rather?

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
You're going on vacation in WY/MT for a week. Doing an overnighter in the Wind Rivers then heading up to MT to camp/fish the rest of the time. Maybe going through Glacier. You're from Pennsylvania where black bears are the biggest thing in the woods.

So you own a Glock 20 and carry Sig 180gr FMJs in it when you're in the woods normally and hollow points around town.

Would you rather spend $50 on 40 rounds of Underwood hard cast for your week out west? Or just call it good with the Sig FMJs that you have and save your money.

Oh and btw money is fairly tight (you can afford the ammo but your gf might get ticked off) and you also have bear spray you plan on taking.

What would you do if you were me?

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
When I'm elk hunting I have my 15 round mag alternate stacked with 200gr hard cast and 180gr XTP's. So I prefer both. You should be able to get a 20 round box of the hard cast, will be a little cheaper.
I'll buy 2 20 round boxes if I decide to get the Underwood. I need to shoot at least a full mag before I feel confident in the ammo running reliably.

I think you will me be fine with the 180s but if you’d fill better with the underwood I wouldn’t let $50 get in the way. I’d hate for you to encounter a bear and couldn’t turn him with the 180s and wished you had the underwood

DLP

FNG
Underwood makes some potent ammo. That is what I usually carry in my 10mm out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Different perspective: shoot what you have and what you're used to. I have the same pistol, live, hunt and carry in grizzly country a lot and personally don't give a care about the small difference the particular round makes - vs. knowing what my pistol shoots reliably, what I'm used to shooting/shot hundreds of rounds with zero problems, knowing the feel of the recoil, etc.. For me, I like familiarity, reliability and rounds on target vs. thinking I'm safer with a better round that I haven't shot near as much.

This isn't to suggest that hardcast, mag-blaster-bone-crusher-heart-mincer or some other handgun ammo isn't somehow better in the very highly unlikely event you come across a grizzly and one of the rounds comes in contract in a bad situation. I'd just want to shoot a pile of rounds to get the feel, check reliability, etc, and I personally don't feel it's worth the time or money.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Lol true except we're trying to save for a house right now so we're both trying to keep each other from making unnecessary purchases 😂 otherwise neither one of us would care.

Ammo is not an "unecessary purchase" You stop that non-sense right there. :ROFLMAO: Train her as a GF or fight with her as a wife. Balls in your court sir.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the same boat, picked up a G20 today. Got 2 boxes each of buffalo bore and Underwood hard cast 220's. Going to see which once cycles the best and roll with that.

The cost is irrelevant when it comes to your safety. Even my wife understood that.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
The day i shot the bear in the face i was loaded with 200xtp's on accident. I have lots of 200 hardcast i intended for bear defense.

After that i tend to carry my 9 and 40 more than my 10 just because they're more packable and effective enough for me.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
The day i shot the bear in the face i was loaded with 200xtp's on accident. I have lots of 200 hardcast i intended for bear defense.

After that i tend to carry my 9 and 40 more than my 10 just because they're more packable and effective enough for me.
Black Bear or grizz?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

smith406

FNG
If you’re on a budget I’d say bring what you have. Put the $50 in the vacation fund. The odds of you blasting away at a bear are slim, the odds of finding a cool brewery, nice restaurant, typical vacation swag are really good.