2021 Montana Elk Draw

Moneyball

WKR
I scored! Good luck to everyone who drew as well as those of you planning on hunting other states!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feare

FNG
Situation: was unsuccessful in the big game combo, then drew big game combo (released), have no preference points left, 3 elk bonus points, I had put in for a party for a permit area, other person in party drew the area we applied as a party for...

It says nothing on my account that I was unsuccessful in our permit area we applied for.

Any ideas on what happened?

mproberts

WKR
This is not historically correct. I'm not sure what they are doing now because they change this crap frequently.

I and numerous friends have drawn released tags and kept a preference point over the past few years because we were not successful in the preference point pool. They even let me buy a PP in the summer after I was given a released tag one year (17 or 18?). I'm not sure exactly how they allocate the released tags, if it is also by 75/25 split or random.
I feel like you are referring to the alternative list or surplus list tags that come out in like July not released tags that are awarded on the draw date. But to be honest now I’m confused after looking up the changes they’ve made over the past year.

mproberts

WKR
Situation: was unsuccessful in the big game combo, then drew big game combo (released), have no preference points left, 3 elk bonus points, I had put in for a party for a permit area, other person in party drew the area we applied as a party for...

It says nothing on my account that I was unsuccessful in our permit area we applied for.

Any ideas on what happened?

Sounds like you guys didn’t go in as a party after all. Likely because someone selected a different option for participating in preference or bonus points, it’s my understanding they have to be identical or they will divide the party application.

I feel like you are referring to the alternative list or surplus list tags that come out in like July not released tags that are awarded on the draw date. But to be honest now I’m confused after looking up the changes they’ve made over the past year.

No, I'm definitely talking about the released tags. Friends and I have drawn a number of them on the day of the initial draw results over the past few years.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
If I put in for a party application and it shows I drew General elk combo (released), does that mean everyone in my party did also? I can’t get in touch with any of them to confirm...

Not alternate list, in 2019 I got a released tag on main draw, kept my preference point, bought another in 2020, went into 2020 draw with 2 preference points. I’m not sure if it is always like this or they stopped it, but at least a few years if you got a released tag you lucked out and got to keep your preference point.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Drew an elk combo this year . Was lucky to get a tag last year on the alternate list. Excited to head back to MT back to back.

Feare

FNG
Sounds like you guys didn’t go in as a party after all. Likely because someone selected a different option for participating in preference or bonus points, it’s my understanding they have to be identical or they will divide the party application.

Had a joint party number and everything, have the receipt for it. At least I got a tag when I checked at noon it said unsuccessful then was told by my partner he drew the permit area to check again then went to check and saw I drew the combo (released)

Riplip

WKR
Had a joint party number and everything, have the receipt for it. At least I got a tag when I checked at noon it said unsuccessful then was told by my partner he drew the permit area to check again then went to check and saw I drew the combo (released)

Were you the organizer of the party? Either one or more of the group didn't enter the info correctly on the application, it has to be precise. or you may have inadvertently applied as an individual for the general tag and a party for the LE permit drawing.

Feare

FNG
Were you the organizer of the party? Either one or more of the group didn't enter the info correctly on the application, it has to be precise. or you may have inadvertently applied as an individual for the general tag and a party for the LE permit drawing.

I was not the organization, did only apply for the elk permit for the party as we were directed to after speaking to G&F, I think there may the problem as my partner drew the general first, when I did not and qualified him for the LE elk tag and I did not draw the general initially so I wasn't even in the party drawing. Idk makes my head spin with all the process, either way good friend of mine has a great tag. I guess chalk it up as a learning experience hopefully someone can see this and not make the same mistake as I did, if indeed I did.

I was not the organization, did only apply for the elk permit for the party as we were directed to after speaking to G&F, I think there may the problem as my partner drew the general first, when I did not and qualified him for the LE elk tag and I did not draw the general initially so I wasn't even in the party drawing. Idk makes my head spin with all the process, either way good friend of mine has a great tag. I guess chalk it up as a learning experience hopefully someone can see this and not make the same mistake as I did, if indeed I did.

That is what happened and this in my understanding of how MT draw works but I may be wrong.
You don’t get into the LE permit draw if you don’t draw initially. The released tag you drew was because someone didn’t draw their LE permit and elected to return their tag.

Chad E

WKR
That is what happened and this in my understanding of how MT draw works but I may be wrong.
You don’t get into the LE permit draw if you don’t draw initially. The released tag you drew was because someone didn’t draw their LE permit and elected to return their tag.
Conceptually that seems plausable but if that's the case it seems like they did not go into the draw as a party. If they had either everyone gets a tag or no one gets a tag.
My gut feeling is somehow the party part of the app got messed but and they went into the draw separately with different outcomes that both led to a tag.

Conceptually that seems plausable but if that's the case it seems like they did not go into the draw as a party. If they had either everyone gets a tag or no one gets a tag.
My gut feeling is somehow the party part of the app got messed but and they went into the draw separately with different outcomes that both led to a tag.
My understanding was the OP stated he only went into the elk permit as a party which I assumed meant the general draw they did separately(if that’s possible in MT).