Best down puffy. That's actually warm

I just picked up a outdoor research Alpine jacket as I wanted something greater Han paper thin fill rate. So far so good! I usually take a fleece and a puffy but will be ditching fleece this year.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
So just reading over this thread since I've been looking endlessly at all the options for puffy's. I found the Eddie Bauer Downlight Hoodie on sale for $167.00. It's an 800 fill jacket with a DWR finish. It doesn't say what the fill weight actually is but I contacted the company and they said a Large was 152.52 grams or 5.37 oz. Not bad in my opinion. I think the fill weight on the Stone Glacier is right around the same at 5.3 oz. Fabric probably isn't as durable but still a crazy good value if anyone is still looking to pick one up. Sale is running directly on their site. Figured I'd pass on the info to anyone that's interested.

Those are actually great stats, especially for that price. I don’t think you’ll find anything even close for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chwebb03

FNG
I was fortunate to get a 40% off code for arcteryx. Ordered the cerium light hoody and after getting it my concern was durability of the fabric and the down wasn't treated. Looking at new puffy from first lite and stone glacier that are the same fill and weight/ cheaper but treated i decided to sell it. Also holding out for sitka to release their new kelvin lite down hoody which is i think 900 fill treated down/synthetic

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I was fortunate to get a 40% off code for arcteryx. Ordered the cerium light hoody and after getting it my concern was durability of the fabric and the down wasn't treated. Looking at new puffy from first lite and stone glacier that are the same fill and weight/ cheaper but treated i decided to sell it. Also holding out for sitka to release their new kelvin lite down hoody which is i think 900 fill treated down/synthetic

Cerium LT is a great jacket from a great company but the medium only has 3.3 ounces of 850 FP down so it’s about the same as the fl brooks and a lot less warm than the SG.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It appears like the Helios is a short cut? I was eyeing this jacket and nunatak and it seems common to have this length. Is there a utility reason for this? I fear my back would be exposed while sitting and glassing. These jackets seem to be a few levels above the hunting brand's.
Nunatak will add whatever length you want to the back and the sleeves. Jan will call you and go over exactly what you want in your jacket. You'll pay for it, but if it isn't right it's because you ordered that way lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not personally, no. But I’ve only heard great reviews from members on here.

Quick look at their stats. They seem very warm with loads of high quality down, but you’re paying for that price.

Their down line looks a lot more higher quality than their apex line, though. But they’re a lot cheaper so you get what you pay for.

Everyone raves about the Lost Park parka from Kifaru about being warm... it's 3.6oz apex. Nunatak does a jacket like it but you can do custom Apex configurations. 5oz in the body, 3.6oz in the sleeves, or 3.6 and 2.5 etc. They also do outer materials from 7D all the way up to 70D, full zip or half zip, with or without pockets. I think their Apex gear is just fine, unfortunately we won't be seeing any for a while as the last email I got said they'll be only doing down stuff, primarily quilts and jackets for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just picked up an Uncompahgre from the classifieds. It’ll have to damn good to beat the Eddie Bauer Evertherm I picked up a while back.

Same here haven't been impressed with any of my first lite gear
In my experience when it comes to the real warm stuff First Lite falls short. But I say that not having tried the newer line geared towards the cold, like the Chamberlain. I'll keep my Western Mountaineering and know I'll be warm.

When it comes to the mid and light weight stuff though, I like First Lite, it works good for me.

Last edited:

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I wear mine as an underlayer. If out walking it is too warm even in cold temps. When used in a layering system it works well for me.

You can get a lot more jacket for the price of the superdown ultra

Even the superdown pro is way overpriced.