East coast hunting (SC area)

HH and low country are full of hogs, deer and game!! Lots of special hunts and private clubs! Not a problem killing deer but fighting the mosquitoes might be LOL. Love being stationed in Beaufort.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunndm

Lot's of good info here. I've lived in SC for years-born here and moved a few times but made my way back.
I would say that SC ,like any place, is "what you make of it" to a degree.

Weather (heat & humidity) can be tough here but seems you have some experience there. Coastal SC will have some brutal storms, some tornadoes and hurricanes. Coastal SC will also have quite a few tourist that to many locals can be an annoyance but you have likely experienced this in CA already.

Coastal SC will have some of the country's wealthiest folks that either live here year round or have vacation homes here. Coastal SC also has some of the most abject poverty you will find in the US.

So to some of the things I believe will require you to make adjustments in your thought process:

Seems many affluent in CA are some of the most liberal where conversely there are many wealthy folks here that are right wing to a fairly extreme degree. There is also some good ole boy antics that you will encounter even in political leaders. Life is lived at a slower pace here but that may not be the obvious advantage you think.

Real estate is one area where you should do quite well if you are not determined to live in a high demand area.
I was a mortgage lender for years and can tell you your real estate dollars should go along way here.

The above comments are about lifestyle and culture--as far as outdoor activities go you can fish year round if the heat doesn't deter you. Saltwater fishing can be quite good at the coastal area you are considering. You will be about 4-5 hours from North Carolina trout fishing but it can be quite good. Warm-water (Fresh water) can really be good here in late winter and early spring. Crappie, bass, catfish and many pan-fish are fairly easily located.

Deer hunting can be done on public land but many prefer a more controlled environment of hunt clubs.
I generally hunt both public and private each year. As someone posted earlier you shouldn't have high expectations to see 140 class bucks hunting but they are here. I have seen a few that would go 140 to 150 but a very few in a lot of years hunting and viewing trail camera footage.

Turkey hunting can be phenomenal. I went last weekend and heard 5 gobblers sounding off within 300 yards of where I parked. I see turkeys almost every time I am in the woods. Hogs are here but I find they are not terribly easy to locate in the daylight hours where I deer hunt. There are black bears here but I have no interest in bear hunting. Typically there are around 60 or so bears killed each year but a few over 500 lbs have been taken.

Small game is decent and dove hunts are a southern ritual that can be quite enjoyable. I go to Georgia every year for a big cookout/dove hunt and it is always a good time. No upland birds to speak of on public land but what few quail we have are likely close to the coastal area.

Good luck on your decision. I would recommend you take a trip here first to see if it is what you are expecting. PM me if I can be of any assistance.

schmalzy

WKR
Tons of great insight. I tried convincing my wife to move to HH/Savanah/Charleston area a few times. We honeymooned on Tybee.

I love the whole area. Awesome fishing opportunities, especially if you fly fish, and tons of public land a short drive away. Legitimate shots at Tarpon.

The heat and humidity are just part of the game. I personally think you just get used to it. Pretty cool area in that you can be at a nice beach, in thick woods, and a relatively
Short trip to foot hills/mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJohnson

WKR
I’ve lived in SC my entire life. Unless you’re absolutely set on living near the coast, I would recommend looking at the Upstate. The weather is a little bit milder in the summer. For you budget, you could get a nice house on lakes Keowee, HARTWELL, Storm Thurmond, Clark’s Hill, etc and be really close to large areas of public access.

Public land hunting for deer is tough. Pretty sure it is everywhere. I know several people who hunt clubs. They range everything from a couple of guys leasing timberland to full on social clubs. Prices vary accordingly. I prefer to ask for access and hunt my neighbors’ land. I use the money I would’ve spent on leases and food plots to go out west chasing elk.

Fishing is great in all of the lakes and rivers. Waterfowl is better at the coast. Hogs are everywhere. Turkey is excellent everywhere, even on public. Squirrels are always fun.

PM if you have any other specific questions.

Whitty

FNG
I'll echo most all of the above. I live about as far away from Hilton Head as you can get and still be in SC but have spent a lot of time in that area. Hot, humid, and buggy...Hilton Head and the surrounding area gets a bit to touristy in the Summer imo. I agree with the above poster...you could get a nice lakefront home (not Keowee) on a large lake in the upstate or a nice home and acreage for your budget. Coast or upstate just depends if you want to fish mainly for saltwater or freshwater fish as both options are good with great opportunities for public hunting around both.

KHNC

WKR
I mean just in gernal in the Carolinas, or even if I have to drive a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Private land is good for deer numbers in some areas. Public areas arent much good for any game really. Lots of hunters and small populations of deer and turkey.