Truck Shopping

WRO

WKR
I love my tacos, I'm in #4, all have been pretty flawless as far as issues maintenance wise.

I've had a couple fords, last being a new f150 in 2010. Never again, that thing was a colossal piece of crap.

The new tacos are pretty spacious and mine tows my 3k boat just fine (mileage sucks).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I get it - I love Toyotas. My wife will always drive one. They just don’t pull 5th wheels very well. I also hate the trade off between a crew cab and a 6.5 foot bed. I had 2017 Ram 1500 crew cab with the 5.5ft retarded midget bed and they are useless. Barely fit my dogs crate in there. So then I went to the double cab Tundra, which was awesome until my now teenage kids don’t fit in the back very well anymore and I am 6’5”, so I am not scooting my seat forward very far to accommodate rear sitting passengers. Wife said she wants a 5th wheel, so I was excited to use that as an excuse to get a diesel. I usually trade my trucks in right before the warranty runs out.

I was so excited about getting a Tundra until I figured out they don't pull fifth wheels. Now I'm just sad.

Im partial to diesels so I’m kind of bias towards them. If I was to get another smaller truck I’d get a canyon/Colorado if needing to tow I’d get a 2500 or 3500 in a ram or ford

I've always had Tacomas, and Runners. Currently own a 2017 Tacoma and trust me, that crawl control is incredible. It will take you places you could never get to without. Its a great truck for the mountains, just lacks bed space, but you know that going into a Tacoma.

Crazy as it sounds, my 2006 was purchased new, I was the only driver, and things started to go. I had to replace 2 wheel bearings (sold it with two more that needed to be replaced) the AC failed, and the paint was going bad on the roof. Actually, the paint/clear coat on the 3rd gens is horrible. It had 200k on it when I sold it for 15k.

The 3rd gens were nice trucks but the bearings and the paint issus sucked.

ETtikka

WKR
Not much information to share on the newer Chevy, The older 1/2 tons had major issues with carbon build-up on the rings that caused a major oil consumption issue (about $5,000 repair). The new Chevrolet Trail-Boss is a great looking truck, I just don't trust the 5.3 Liter. I have heard good things about the Chevrolet 1/2 ton 3.0 liter diesel, that little diesel engine is made by Isuzu and has been used in some many vehicle around the world.

the smaller Duramax is attractive, but pricey and you have to factor in fuel prices and higher maintenance costs. All current Duramax are produced by GM , some Isuzu design influenc, but the new ones are not Isuzu engines as previousl, probably the most reliable small diesel at this point. What is $/mile when you compare these?

I've owned all 4 big names and currently drive a ram 2500. Its been maintenance free for 105000 miles. Of the 4, the only lemon was my Toyota Tacoma. Blew 2 head gaskets, broke the rear leaf springs and grenaded the transfer case. I've been reluctant to try another Toyota even tho my wife drives a 4runner with no issues so far. ( only 50k on it.)

Fatcamp

WKR
They’ll pull them, just not very well...haven’t you seen the video where the Tundra pulls the Space Shuttle?

LOL. They do not have the capacity to properly tow a 5th wheel. Pin weight will be too heavy. We have one of the lightest fifth wheel trailers on the market and it would have to be empty to meet it. An F150 will pull one too, but in the event of an accident I would be liable if overloaded, and both trucks are overloaded with a fifth wheel.

I'm still considering one, just not for all around use.

Rook-

FNG
Any 1/2 ton and a 5th wheel is a bad proposition. Toyotas probably the worst as far as payload and towing. Watch the payload ratings especially with higher trim trucks. Some of the high trim Toyota's get down to under 1200lb capacity. Plenty of fools out there who tow heavy or put 3k plus pounds in the bed of a half ton but they are asking for trouble.

Fords have the most spacious back seat area for sure if you plan on camping in your truck fairly often. F250s especially
I moved out to Oregon from Kentucky this past year, bringing my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee out knowing I'd be looking to upgrade in a matter of time. Starting to shop now and would like to keep to 2019 or newer models. I've always been partial to Chevy, but also considering Ford and Toyota. Figured this would be a pretty good spot to get some input. Wondering what do you look for and what pros/cons are there across makes and models?

Thanks fella

jlh42581

WKR
Just imagine if Toyota brings the Hilux to the USA! Id really like to see a Tundra sized diesel too!

They would slaughter GMC/Ford/Mopar

WRO

WKR
I just focus on smiles per mile..
b27b62e7b0a9cc8ce408fff82d0fb642.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am a Ford man when it comes to trucks. On my 3rd F250, soon to be 4th. First one was an 07 that I bought used with 26k miles on it. Only issue I had with it was the EGR system. Sold it for a new 15. I had several issues under warranty with my 15. Radiator leak and an exhaust leak all within 15k miles. I traded it on a 17 simply because it was only going to cost me $6k to do so, it was a no brainer to dump a potential problem child. The 17 has had some basic recall isssues (engine block heater cord, tailgate, sunroof) but otherwise has been solid. I don’t put a lot of miles on my vehicles. Maybe 10k a year. I just order a 2021 and will be getting rid of 17 F250 w/ the intention of keeping the 2021 for 8-10 years.

I simply do not like anything about Dodges other than their engine. Their aesthetics/exterior just look terrible to me.

Chevy, I love the look of their trucks, the Allison transmission has been a beast for many years. However, everything else about a Chevy is crap. We do the GM thing for the wife (suburban/Yukon’s etc) and they start to fall sport around 70k miles. They are not something you hold on to long term. Trucks would be no different.

I love the Tundra, but it’s weak on power, antiquated on technology and not a full size truck. It does have reliability which is a huge plus. I tried really really hard to make myself not want all of the other things it lacks, but I simply couldn’t do it.

I have always said you buy:

Dodge for the Cummins motor
Chevy for the Allison transmission
Ford for the interior room and creature comforts
Toyota for reliability.

If someone could combine this into one vehicle it would be the end all be all. But....... that will never happen.

satchamo

WKR
That’s what I’ve been looking at.. used truck prices are just insane right now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve felt the same way but are they really going to drop? I’m honestly asking for answers from anyone more educated than me on economics . I’m on the market as well and have been researching a lot.

satchamo

WKR
Not much information to share on the newer Chevy, The older 1/2 tons had major issues with carbon build-up on the rings that caused a major oil consumption issue (about $5,000 repair). The new Chevrolet Trail-Boss is a great looking truck, I just don't trust the 5.3 Liter. I have heard good things about the Chevrolet 1/2 ton 3.0 liter diesel, that little diesel engine is made by Isuzu and has been used in some many vehicle around the world.

Mine 08 5.3 has the issue. Just keep feeding it oil and it keeps running haha. I’m at 200k and she’s still going strong despite

I’ve felt the same way but are they really going to drop? I’m honestly asking for answers from anyone more educated than me on economics . I’m on the market as well and have been researching a lot.
IMO, they only truck you should strongly consider buying new is a Toyota. Their resale prices on used vehicles retain some much value you are only taking about a few thousand dollars difference when buying new to used generally.

All of the other automakers don’t hold value like the Toyota’s do, however with the current economy they are holding stronger than normal. IMO, this will only continue as it’s possible the democratic control could continue shutdowns in many democratic states for some time which will hinder production. So the used car market will remain hot. Just my opinion though.

MR5X5

FNG
Got to believe car prices, particularly used, will return to pre covid levels once the mfgs spool back up prodcution. Woudn't surprise me if we were still a year out. Wouldn't surprise me if used cars went below pre covid as industry tries to incentive people to buy new.