Tundra tires

Jotis

WKR
Need to get new tires for the truck. Probably going to go with either the copper AT3 or the falken wildpeal AT3. Is a person fine with the sl rated tires or is it better going with the E?

ODB

WKR
Watching closely. For the record the wildpeaks are getting the nod thus far..

Need to get new tires for the truck. Probably going to go with either the copper AT3 or the falken wildpeal AT3. Is a person fine with the sl rated tires or is it better going with the E?
What size tire and will you be pulling a heavy trailer or doing a lot of off road driving?
The cooper AT3 comes in a C rated depending on size. You get more tread depth but not the weight and rougher ride of the 10ply E rated. Most of the time a little cheaper as well.

Mostly road, just pulling a smaller trailer
Both are good tires but I think the cooper seem to have better road manners and come in a C rated, which I think is a good compromise. I'm in the same boat, mostly road and pull a popup and small trailer occasionally. I go with the C rated if it available in the size I'm looking for.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I recently sold an ‘09 Tundra with the 5.3L and had the wildpeak at3 on there for at least 2 yrs. Over 40k miles and plenty of tread left when I sold the Truck. No complaints other than they got a little noisy as they wore. To be expected with an AT tire though.

I have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my F150 in an E load rating.
Excellent tires.
I wouldn't buy E tires due to weight...That rotational mass is a pig.
I only bought mine because they weren't offered in a lighter rating in that size.
You can go on the Tundra forums for opinions but most are about which tire looks better.

Wrongside

WKR
does this pickup leave the highway ?
Do you take it on hunting trips ?

If you answered yes to either you should buy load range "E"
Agreed. I always put E rated on my Tundra for those reasons. But it worth mentioning that there can be a large difference in weight and fuel economy, even on tires with the same load rating. I have a set of studded RT type winters and a set of ATs for 3 season use. There is a very noticeable difference in perceived power, handling and fuel economy, when I switch between the two.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
The WildPeak P-rated tire (see image) has an extra ply in the sidewall and is a very good off road tire IME. These have been on my 4Runner for 4 years and about 18k miles. My only complaint is they got real noisy after 12k miles.

I have had mine in some moderate off road scenarios and they have performed well with no flats, chunk outs, etc.

I have thought about going with an E load tire, but for how I use them, it does not make sense from a dollar/weight perspective.

Good luck,

Eddie

Attachments

• WP.PNG
    WP.PNG
    177.7 KB · Views: 61

TxLite

WKR
My dad got the wildpeaks on his gladiator and they wore terribly. Very loud tire and uneven wear regardless of rotation.
I went with the Nito Recon’s on my tundra and they’ve been awesome. My last set of Nittos (Terra Grapplers) went 75k and still had life left when I pulled them off.

I went with the C rated Faulken AT3's for my 2005 tundra...

I got these in a 33x12.5" (I don't remember the aspect ratio off the top of my head for a R18), and I'm probably going to need new tires around 60-65K. A bit louder as they wore, minor cupping, etc., but keep them rotated on a reasonable schedule. I bought them for the snow and ice more than heavy off-road use, and they've been a dang good tire. It was between these and the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 when I bought mine.

UncleBone

WKR
Im looking for tires for my gx470, and although a lot of folks recommend the falkens, it appears that they are quite possibly made in China. If not China, Thailand. The coopers are supposedly made in China as well. Toyos I think are made in America, and nokian, a company from Finland are made in the USA. If Any of that matters to yah.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had good results with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers; I picked up a Yokohama Geolander Mudterrain for a spare that also looks like it has good potential for the future replacement set; price point was cheaper than the Nitto’s. Kinda depends on your on/off road use. AZ has plenty of places where I prefer the more aggressive tread.

Attachments

• IMG_8037.jpeg
    IMG_8037.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5152.jpeg
    IMG_5152.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5154.jpeg
    IMG_5154.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7050.jpeg
    IMG_7050.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 42

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for tires for my gx470, and although a lot of folks recommend the falkens, it appears that they are quite possibly made in China. If not China, Thailand. The coopers are supposedly made in China as well. Toyos I think are made in America, and nokian, a company from Finland are made in the USA. If Any of that matters to yah.
It looks like the Falken tires are made in Japan. I couldn’t find anything that said if all styles are made in Japan. I think that’s better than China.