Tundra tires

Unckebob

WKR
I am getting Michelin LT A/T2's installed on my Tundra this week. My off roading is limited to dirt/caliche roads and sand on beaches. Hope they turn out better than the POS Duelers that came with the truck.

Tundra Facebook group has polls all the time and Wildpeak is always the winner with Cooper and Toyos being runners up. I went with Wildpeaks from Geolanders and i complaints so far.

Also know some folks that have Wildpeaks in their trucks that, well, let’s say they go on “roads” I won’t take my truck on. They are loaded down with gear and have never had a flat so I wouldn’t agree that E rating is necessary or worth the trade offs of the weight.

UncleBone

WKR
It looks like the Falken tires are made in Japan. I couldn’t find anything that said if all styles are made in Japan. I think that’s better than China.
unfortunately that is not the case with wildpeaks. Screenshot_20230508_181609_Samsung Internet.jpg

UncleBone

WKR
It looks like the Falken tires are made in Japan. I couldn’t find anything that said if all styles are made in Japan. I think that’s better than China.
And then I see that my buddies at3s are made in the USA. So I guess its all a crapshoot. 20230508_182022.jpg

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
And then I see that my buddies at3s are made in the USA. So I guess its all a crapshoot.
That’s interesting. I’ll have to look at mine when I get home. I wonder if it’s certain sizes that are made in the USA.
They are just a great all around tire with a decent price. I looked at all the different brands last year and ended up with another set of Falkens. Tires cost to much for me to try something new.

UncleBone

WKR
That’s interesting. I’ll have to look at mine when I get home. I wonder if it’s certain sizes that are made in the USA.
They are just a great all around tire with a decent price. I looked at all the different brands last year and ended up with another set of Falkens. Tires cost to much for me to try something new.
YeahI am not sure. It can be difficult to find that kind of info sometimes on the web too. Thats my fishing partners tire, So I at least get to ride on them a lot, and drive occasionally. I am going to probably go with the opencounty at3 or the nokian just to see if theres a huge difference. It will be a fairly straight forward comparison, but he will be 6 or 8k ahead on mileage when I get mine. Being in Colorado, I always rocked snow tires on my cars, and have heard great things about nokians. Hoping their outpost holds true to that being 3peak rated.

UncleBone

WKR
The Wildpeaks on my Tundra that I installed last summer are made in Japan 🤷‍♂️
Glad you didn't get the CCP special!! Weird as heck, but I guess they have 12 different factories worldwide. I would just hate to get stuck with the chinese ones, and I also would rather know my money didn't go to a company with chinese factories. But that boils down to personal beliefs. They could still be just as good as the US made or Japanese version if their QC is that strict.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tundra that I use the hell out of on/off road All over the west. I have had many of the tires listed in this thread. The Falken Wildpeak AT’s are the only tires I buy now.

I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a Supercub conversation!
me too. I'm not a fan of tundra tires....lol, actually my dad did off airport stuff in his cub for a career and ran only one size larger than standard and never had an issue. His 30k hours tells him they are overrated and of course super expensive.

On the truck tire front, I have run STT pros on the jeep for the last few years. Good road manners for a mud tire, but they are friggin heavy in a load range E. They are 37 x 13.5 x 17 though. Just gotta keep them rotated and balanced. I would certainly buy again.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to see the Wildpeaks getting the nod in a couple different posts. I'll need new rubber on my 19' CrewMax by fall. Currently running the BFG KO2 with nearly 80K on them. Gonna be hard to not just buy another set of those with that kind of performance.

MattB

WKR
I am in my second set of Cooper AT 3’s on my 4runner. They have been a good tire and do not get loud as they wear unlike the BFG AT’s I had before them. Mud performance could be better though.

Cooper AT3's in the 10 ply E rating are great tires as are the Cooper ST MAXX tires in the 10 ply E rating. I have used the Cooper AT3's with great success but now I'm running the ST MAXX. Love them as well.

Trial153

WKR
Just took the Factory Falkens Wildpeaks off my 22 Tundra and replaced them with Copper AT3s

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I just had to check my WildPeaks and they were made in Thailand.

As highly as I think of these tires, their road noise became annoying after 12k miles and I'll only get 35k miles out of them, which does not impress me much.

I'm watching this thread as it would not take a lot (or is it allot :D) to convince me to try another tire, especially since I stole these (not literally, but you know what I mean) in 2019 with a deal on OfferUp (or maybe it was clist) and now I am going to have to pay market price so my tolerance for issues goes down as the price goes up.

Eddie

Attachments

• WP-Tires.jpg
    WP-Tires.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I just had to check my WildPeaks and they were made in Thailand.

As highly as I think of these tires, their road noise became annoying after 12k miles and I'll only get 35k miles out of them, which does not impress me much.

I'm watching this thread as it would not take a lot (or is it allot :D) to convince me to try another tire, especially since I stole these (not literally, but you know what I mean) in 2019 with a deal on OfferUp (or maybe it was clist) and now I am going to have to pay market price so my tolerance for issues goes down as the price goes up.

Eddie
Mine are also made in Thailand.
I only get about 35k out of them also but I’m quick to put new tires one when over 50% is gone. I wonder how much tread is left when someone get 70k-80k out of a tire. I don’t wait until I have 1/16 left.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Mine are also made in Thailand.
I only get about 35k out of them also but I’m quick to put new tires one when over 50% is gone. I wonder how much tread is left when someone get 70k-80k out of a tire. I don’t wait until I have 1/16 left.
I agree on the replacement when only 50% tread (and the 1/16") is remaining. Mine are at 8/32s as of today and that leaves me 1/32 before it gets iffy tread wise.

I have two elk hunts later this year and mine are on the edge of me really doing a proactive replacement given what lies ahead.

Also, thanks for the 35k number. I rotate as required, properly inflated and am not hard on the tires and I've often wondered how folks get more than 30-35k on off road tires.

My WildPeaks were$550 installed and I know that ain't happening again but this thread just might make me buy new tires before our hunts as it's fairly cheap insurance given the important of tires and returning from your outings.

I bought a new WP spare when I had my other tires installed, but me thinks I can live with a mismatched spare if I decide to try another tire.

Eddie

P.S. Just looked at the tread depths for the tires I am considering. WP's is 13/32. KO2's is 15/32. S/T Maxx is 18.5/32. WP are P rated and other two are LT and E load range.

Last edited:
I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on my 2010 tundra. They were fine. A bit noisy and more tread than I really need.

those falkens look like a good option.

I’ve been running Nitto Terra Grapplers for 50k miles. No complaints. I would buy another set.

This gets discussed plenty. Here's a previous thread about the same topic. Post #69 has some pictures of my Falkens and the details, but suffice to say that I have 70,000+ miles on mine, which were made in Thailand.