What caliber for Cow Elk?

So you wouldn’t use a 6mm or 6.5mm on cow elk?

Op,
I’d take the 6.5 over the 308 just due to bullet drop on the 308. Makes range estimation more critical.
I’ve watched both kill cow elk. They died about the same as far as I could tell.
No, I wouldn’t. Not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done. It depends on the cartridge, bullet and velocity. For me the minimum I’d use on any adult elk is about .277 caliber 140 grain bullet starting about 2,900 fps. That happens to be (roughly) 270 Winchester territory. This is assuming good bullet design. His 140 grain .264 caliber bullet would be a great choice given the correct bullet and cartridge.

I’d say your statement isn’t necessarily true. It depends on what .308 cartridge vs what 6.5mm cartridge. I’d bet good money that a 300 RUM generally shoots flatter than a 6.5 CM. Not that I’m against the 6.5 CM so long as the OP understands it’s limitations along with his own. Know your capabilities, know how your bullet should perform at different velocities and set your max range based on those limitations. I’d check the expansion velocity of that 140 gr partition and run the load through a ballistics calculator to figure max range. Then understand that that max range is likely under ideal conditions. He also needs to make sure he can make good shots at that range. Let me see if I can pull something up for an example…

Last edited:
140 gr Nosler Partition
Diameter = 0.264
G1 B.C. = .49
Start velocity is 2,660 fps
I use 9,000’ elevation as I feel it’s a good representation of elk hunting. This could vary considerably.
A quick search tells me 1,800 fps is minimum expansion velocity so no handicap there. MPBR should be 250 yds with a 200 yd zero. I’d personally limit shots to 375 yds to ensure good penetration. That happens to be about 18” drop so it’s possible he could hold level with the top of the back at that range. That depends on what kind of groups he can shoot at that range under field conditions. Keep in mind, the table and my estimated hold is only an example and my opinion is just that.

Attachments

• AC712E65-3E96-4109-838A-F19E8915F796.png
    AC712E65-3E96-4109-838A-F19E8915F796.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 068E8DE5-5C8B-42DB-8666-87B3AF0A1165.png
    068E8DE5-5C8B-42DB-8666-87B3AF0A1165.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
No, I wouldn’t. Not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done. It depends on the cartridge, bullet and velocity. For me the minimum I’d use on any adult elk is about .277 caliber 140 grain bullet starting about 2,900 fps. That happens to be (roughly) 270 Winchester territory. This is assuming good bullet design. His 140 grain .264 caliber bullet would be a great choice given the correct bullet and cartridge.

I’d say your statement isn’t necessarily true. It depends on what .308 cartridge vs what 6.5mm cartridge. I’d bet good money that a 300 RUM generally shoots flatter than a 6.5 CM. Not that I’m against the 6.5 CM so long as the OP understands it’s limitations along with his own. Know your capabilities, know how your bullet should perform at different velocities and set your max range based on those limitations. I’d check the expansion velocity of that 140 gr partition and run the load through a ballistics calculator to figure max range. Then understand that that max range is likely under ideal conditions. He also needs to make sure he can make good shots at that range. Let me see if I can pull something up for an example…
Generally when folks say “a .308”, they mean a 308 Winchester, not some magnum that happens to be .308 caliber.

I agree with all of the shot placement opinions. I can practice for days and months BUT
With that said after years of Hunting I still get some Buck fever from time to time.
So for that reason mainly and sometimes other conditions I usually stick with a heavier caliber.
But thats for me.
Good Luck on your Hunt!
Everybody loves to talk about shot placement, but taking a shot after a sprint up a mountain side and rest on a tree or pack with some swirling mountain winds suddenly having a bit more power factored into the equation starts looking more attractive. It's great to know your weapon but punching paper at 800 yards on a bench rest doesn't always equate to a perfectly placed shot at 400 in a hunting situation.

My buddy's 12 year old son took a nice 5x5 bull elk at 450 yards with a 6.5 CM shooting factory 143gr ELD-X. One (good) shot was all it took.

You're good to go.

Why would you. The question was about "caliber." :D ;)
We are being snarky pedantic boys… aren’t we? 😉

It is a pet peeve of mine. Guess I got it from my dad, when he started teaching me to hand load at 12 years old he insisted I use correct terminology. I need to get over it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When it comes to choices like this, it comes down to how you hunt and what shot you want to take. Your 6.5 cm will be just fine on cow elk, especially if you do the simple double lung shot. I don't subscribe to the break the shoulders theory. I like that meat. Elk can walk on three legs, but if you put big holes in their lungs, they die.

If you want to get real feedback on caliber and shot placement, read through this thread. The proof is in the pudding.

--shot placement, bullet type and velocity come into play more than pure caliber or cartridge decisions--

This is my position. If you send a light jacketed bullet like a Berger/tipped SMK/ELD-m into the lungs of a critter at least 1800 fps it will go in 2-4 inches and then shred all the innards with immense shrapnel. My rifle has killed a couple dozen critters from 100 yards to 1100 yards (bull elk) with one shot. I shoot a 7mm 180 vld at 3025 fps muzzle velocity. I know guys killing at those distances with a 130-135 grain .257 bullet going 3050. Ballistics are similar and the difference of 50 grains of lead and copper doesn't have much difference. It has the ballistics to make a reliable shot in very good conditions out that far.

Bottom line to me is pick the distance you are going to shoot and then pick a cartridge that you can shoot well to that distance. Having a magnum often is counterproductive because it takes a lot more to actually shoot one well. Its one reason why so many hunters miss high when the crosshairs are on them. Recoil starts before the bullet leaves the barrel. It is physics.

7 rem mag gets my vote for everything. If i was a long range hunter it would be the 7 rum based on what my buddy Conlan has done with his