What caliber for Cow Elk?

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll be fine, like everyone else said. Shot placement is the key factor.

OP
M

motorhead

FNG
140 gr Nosler Partition
Diameter = 0.264
G1 B.C. = .49
Start velocity is 2,660 fps
I use 9,000’ elevation as I feel it’s a good representation of elk hunting. This could vary considerably.
A quick search tells me 1,800 fps is minimum expansion velocity so no handicap there. MPBR should be 250 yds with a 200 yd zero. I’d personally limit shots to 375 yds to ensure good penetration. That happens to be about 18” drop so it’s possible he could hold level with the top of the back at that range. That depends on what kind of groups he can shoot at that range under field conditions. Keep in mind, the table and my estimated hold is only an example and my opinion is just that.

Thank you for this excellent information. By the time it gets to 1800 fps, it's far beyond my shooting ability. This might sound like a stupid question, but can a bullet not expand if it is going too fast? Like if you shoot an animal close up, is it ever a possibility of going through and through?

Tmac

WKR
Have killed elk with 25-06 115gr, 260 Rem 140 gr, 270 win 130 gr, 280 Rem 140, 145, 150, 175 gr, 30-06 165 & 180 gr. The point is a well placed bullet kills. A good 100 gr .243 bullet through the lungs will kill a cow elk quickly.

My preference is for 270 win or more, but that 260 Rem has killed a number of cows quite well and your 6.5 CM will do the same if used properly. We used cup and core in the 260, but it ended up all our kills were under 200 yards. We just waited for a nice broadside shot.

The longer range you intend to shoot, the more important knowing your bullets minimum expansion velocity becomes. I generally add 10% to the stated min. velocity. Good luck.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
That cm has killed plenty of cow elk. Good bullets and placement will be the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Killed two cow elk this fall with the 6.5 CM, 140 gr bullets. Both dead within 20-40 yards.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

shawdawg

FNG
6.5 and up for me. Like others have said shot placement is key. My lite mtn gun in 6.5x55 has done a number on elk out to 400 yards thus far

Last edited:

pointrow

FNG
Hi All,

A few friends and I put in for cow elk tags this year. Provided we draw, I was planning to use my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x with 140 Nosler Partitions. I know for bull elk, the recommendation is 300 WM or 7 RM, but would 6.5 CM be acceptable for cow elk? I don't want to be undergunned. I can borrow a 308 if that would be better. I'm not a huge fan of the magnum calibers due to the recoil.

Thank you for the advice.
i’d shoot the 308 for a piece of mind

Hi All,

A few friends and I put in for cow elk tags this year. Provided we draw, I was planning to use my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x with 140 Nosler Partitions. I know for bull elk, the recommendation is 300 WM or 7 RM, but would 6.5 CM be acceptable for cow elk? I don't want to be undergunned. I can borrow a 308 if that would be better. I'm not a huge fan of the magnum calibers due to the recoil.

Thank you for the advice.
it is completely fine for ANY elk. last year i took a teenager to kill her first elk (cow roosevelt) her follow-up shot (which wasn't necessary, i just couldn't tell exactly where the first shot went, i just knew she was hit well standing there dazed and unsteady) was almost frontal, very slight quartered to, and she hit that elk just right of center, it went all the way through and exploded the femur and exited. that was with my creed with 140gr accubonds. i have seen several bulls and cows killed with the creed, and it's been completely sufficient every time.

just match the bullet to what you're doing, if shots will likely be outside 300yds, a match bullet or eldx would work well, if shots are likely inside 300yds, an accubond, partition, or my new favorite, federal terminal ascent will be excellent, no drama bullets. i would have no issue shooting a 6mm bullet myself for elk, but i wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

people overthink elk cartridges like archery hunters overthink arrow builds.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone else has covered this more than sufficiently, but if the shot placement is correct and the range allows for a velocity to be maintained that will expand the projectile then you have a dead elk every time.

I would use a Match bullet 140 ELDm or 140 Berger Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryan, the number of Berger 6.5 bullet options is giving me fits as I try to find one in stock and make a purchase before it's out of stock. Can you confirm that you prefer the Berger target bullets over the hunting line at creedmoor velocities for big game applications?

WKR
My .270 has never discriminated based on sex. Equal opportunity killer.
Mine too. The only reason I didn’t say that is because he asked about 6.5 v .308, so I tried to answer the question that he asked. But I can’t say enough good things about .270 Winchester.

I really don’t “get” all the .270 WSM, 6.8 Western, or 6.5 Anything enthusiasm. Oh, I get it in the sense that a chart listing velocities, or BC/SD, or some such might show a perceived “ballistic advantage” in some area. But I doubt one rifleman in a hundred (a thousand?) can really make than mean anything in the field.

Last edited:
There have been some good recommendations on bullet, but the Nosler partition is a great elk slayer. You will be fine with that bullet.

Limit your shots to 400 or under and it won’t make any difference on which caliber. The 6.5 is all the rage right now, but remember the 308 was the darling of long distance shooters for decades.

308 is not considered a magnum and has a manageable recoil, although slightly more than 6.5

I have never seen 1800 as a minimum for expansion on a nosler partition. The nose is a soft lead expanding bullet and should do well at lower velocities. Here is a picture of down to 1800 fps. Notice it is still fully expanded. BFE38CA1-859B-4E5D-8A36-AE715C369064.png