What caliber for Cow Elk?

To answer the question: “what about close shots”. That is why the partition was invented. Mr Nosler was hunting a Moose with the normal bullets of the time (soft lead) and he had a up close shot. The bullet exploded as it penetrated and didn’t penetrate far. Gave him the idea of a soft front and a solid rear. So it works up close or at a distance. It has stood the test of time.

The newest “premium” bullets still use this same idea: front expands fairly easily, but rear of bullet is solid for better penetration.

LostArra

WKR
Mine too. The only reason I didn’t say that is because he asked about 6.5 v .308, so I tried to answer the question that he asked. But I can’t say enough good things about .270 Winchester.

I really don’t “get” all the .270 WSM, 6.8 Western, or 6.5 Anything enthusiasm. Oh, I get it in the sense that a chart listing velocities, or BC/SD, or some such might show a perceived “ballistic advantage” in some area. But I doubt one rifleman in a hundred (a thousand?) can really make than mean anything in the field.
My point is that whatever rifle he chooses will work for any elk that identifies as a bull or a cow

jimh406

WKR
I don't want to be undergunned.
Everyone has two choices: limit range or go up in power.

I don't personally enjoy range shooting my 300 Wby, but I can shoot it enough to be proficient with it while still not being afraid of it. YMMV. As people have noted, you can kill an Elk with a lot of different calibers and misses of any caliber are still misses.

I would use the most powerful round that you feel accurate with and aren't afraid of. Not judging, but some people are more sensitive to recoil for a lot of reasons.

Shooter28

FNG
Did my first hunt last Oct. I took down a massive cow with my 6.5cm at 711 yards. I was using the 127g LRX bullets. Shot placement is key

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe lower the bullet weight to a 127 LRX pick up a little more speed for further distances. But not much further.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Motorhead, I got my cows last 2 years with a 6.5 CM. This past fall my shot and it was the only shot I had was 529 yards. Where I hunt cows there is no timber or tall brush. Shot placement is your friend. Learn to shoot distance which I have learned to do. Kind of hard now a days with ammo shortages.

I still think this bigger rifles thing is a over compensation for some guys shortages. LOL

FLS

WKR
These.

Ive shot deer and antelope with these out of my Creedmoor. Theyve worked really well. Pretty much bang flops. Everything in front of the diaphram was chewed up pretty good. Similar performance on elk?

SNelson

FNG
I have killed several spikes and cows with a 260 (it's like a Creedmore...for men) and a 140 Sierra Gameking. I have killed a few with an anemic 6.4-284 and RA's Premium killing bullets. Every one that was hit properly went to the promised land with all due haste. The 6.5s kill better that they should. But they don't kill as well as a big 30. And a 338 is even better.

SNelson

FNG
Ive shot deer and antelope with these out of my Creedmoor. Theyve worked really well. Pretty much bang flops. Everything in front of the diaphram was chewed up pretty good. Similar performance on elk?
I've used them on spikes and cows but never turned them on a big bull. (I firmly believe there is a difference) I run them out of a 6.5-284 at 2800ish. They cause incredible damage inside the cavity and offer very quick kills, when properly applied. In my experience, the elk hate them.

dturbin22

FNG
Hi All,

A few friends and I put in for cow elk tags this year. Provided we draw, I was planning to use my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x with 140 Nosler Partitions. I know for bull elk, the recommendation is 300 WM or 7 RM, but would 6.5 CM be acceptable for cow elk? I don't want to be undergunned. I can borrow a 308 if that would be better. I'm not a huge fan of the magnum calibers due to the recoil.

Thank you for the advice.
It all depends on distance and placement. I personally like 30 cal and above but have seen many successful kills with a 6.5

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Yes.

Stalker69

WKR
I have killed bulls and cows with a 243, 100 nosler partitions. With no issues what so ever. Longest was 375 yards on a six point bull. Went down after taking about 5 steps. Caliber is not going to help poor bullet placement. I’ve seen misses and unrecovered animals with every thing up to a 375 Winchester, and several with the 338.

Last edited:
In my experience, the issue is the conditions you are offered. If the elk is fully broadside in an open field, then any reasonable caliber will probably do. However, my choices usually include a lot of quartering shots in heavy cover. The larger calibers and heavy bullets compensate for those conditions. I guess the issue is how much insurance do you need? The shots offered to me are less than frequent hence I tend to always have my worst case gun in hand so I can make the best of what is offered.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In my experience, the issue is the conditions you are offered. If the elk is fully broadside in an open field, then any reasonable caliber will probably do. However, my choices usually include a lot of quartering shots in heavy cover. The larger calibers and heavy bullets compensate for those conditions. I guess the issue is how much insurance do you need? The shots offered to me are less than frequent hence I tend to always have my worst case gun in hand so I can make the best of what is offered.

In your experience, how much penetration is required to reach vital organs on an quartering to elk? And what is the difference in penetration between “smaller” calibers/cartridges, and “larger” calibers/cartridges?