What Rear Bag for Hunting?

I got my bag yesterday, its nice, totally different than the 3-4 other bags I have. Holds up well, doesn't collapse and cradles the rifle well. Mine was 1lb 2.8oz on my scale.

Broz

WKR
I got my bag yesterday, its nice, totally different than the 3-4 other bags I have. Holds up well, doesn't collapse and cradles the rifle well. Mine was 1lb 2.8oz on my scale.
Glad you like it. We are shipping more today. As soon as they come in to us we turn them right around.

Yes as I stated in the video they will vary in weight slightly due to the fact we are measuring fill by volume instead of weight. As bags are sewn they will vary on capacity ever so slightly, I want consistent fill for equal performance so we fill each to the volume needed. So plus 1 lb or minus a bit for the get lite fill upgrade.

Thank you for the report.
Jeff

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I got mine a few days ago. Top quality as expected. I'll be ordering the lighter bag as well when they are back in stock.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll keep an eye out for after the season, your bag looks like what I need Broz.

My first real bag I got was a triad tac wedge, it’s by far the most versatile rear bag Iv got. But the thing weights like 3 pounds. If I can get that down to 1 with your bag, while gaining the smaller extra bag, seems like a win.

Otherwise for now Iv got a traust mini for my rear bag. Not totally sold on the fill, and might switch it out to the git lite stuff following the season. That said it weighs like 4 ounces, is pretty big, and very adjustable.

AZ16

FNG
I’ve had good luck with the Wiebad modular bags; can switch out the fill to your preference.

tdhanses

WKR
Just put in an order, only used a cheap bag previously but after watching the video I was sold.

JWP58

WKR
Not a long range guy per se. But I've had good success with using my bino harness while prone. I just unclip the bottom straps and flip it towards the gun.

parshal

WKR
Another vote for the Traust mini. It's so light it's barely noticeable but provides great stability.

Vandy321

WKR
Kicking this old horse.

I had a Traust rear bag (sold it). It is light, size is right, but the fill just doesn't feel stable enough (i need all the help i can get). also had the wiebad, cylinder shaped small rear bag, sold it, not tall enough on its side, too unstable the long ways up...

I'm no expert and I don't shoot a fraction of the game that most of you do, however, on the majority of my hunts, I have almost NEVER been in a position to deploy the the bipod legs(5-9"), and plop down prone with a rear bag and see anything other than brush, grass, bushes, through the reticle etc.

Last years elk came from my tripod, the one prior, a stump, my first, a fence post...am i the only one who finds the bipod rear bag that challenging in the woods?

I'm not weight averse...my new build is +12lbs w/o optic, my other is 11# w/optic, and I pack in....I'm trying to talk myself out of carrying a ~5# Armageddon gear gamechanger bag...throw it on a rock, stump, branch, fence post, my pack, etc and be very stable, carry my woobie in stuff sack during the day to double as a 'plump pillow', and if the opportunity finally presents itself to take a nice prone shot with a rear bag, it works for that too.

It's heavy as hell, but i'm thinking it may be worth the weight?

Am I the only one who hasn't found a bipod / rear bag practical in the field? what type of shots are most of you finding / taking while hunting out west?

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Kicking this old horse.

I had a Traust rear bag (sold it). It is light, size is right, but the fill just doesn't feel stable enough (i need all the help i can get). also had the wiebad, cylinder shaped small rear bag, sold it, not tall enough on its side, too unstable the long ways up...

I'm no expert and I don't shoot a fraction of the game that most of you do, however, on the majority of my hunts, I have almost NEVER been in a position to deploy the the bipod legs(5-9"), and plop down prone with a rear bag and see anything other than brush, grass, bushes, through the reticle etc.

Last years elk came from my tripod, the one prior, a stump, my first, a fence post...am i the only one who finds the bipod rear bag that challenging in the woods?

I'm not weight averse...my new build is +12lbs w/o optic, my other is 11# w/optic, and I pack in....I'm trying to talk myself out of carrying a ~5# Armageddon gear gamechanger bag...throw it on a rock, stump, branch, fence post, my pack, etc and be very stable, carry my woobie in stuff sack during the day to double as a 'plump pillow', and if the opportunity finally presents itself to take a nice prone shot with a rear bag, it works for that too.

It's heavy as hell, but i'm thinking it may be worth the weight?

Am I the only one who hasn't found a bipod / rear bag practical in the field? what type of shots are most of you finding / taking while hunting out west?

Sounds like you need a pint sized git lite game changer.
Iv shot more animals out west prone than anything else. I run a tall 9-13 bipod for field shooting

The pint sized works just as well as a rear bag as well

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Sounds like you need a pint sized git lite game changer.
Iv shot more animals out west prone than anything else. I run a tall 9-13 bipod for field shooting

The pint sized works just as well as a rear bag as well

Do you have that bag? Was thinking the full sized gamechanger (has a zipper) and swapping out the heavy fill for rubber BBs for my hunt this year.

Is the pint sized still big enough to lock firmly onto a stump/rock/fence post? Guess one could have a zipper made in it too

Lawnboi

WKR
Do you have that bag? Was thinking the full sized gamechanger (has a zipper) and swapping out the heavy fill for rubber BBs for my hunt this year.

Is the pint sized still big enough to lock firmly onto a stump/rock/fence post? Guess one could have a zipper made in it too

I have a pint sized with lite fill, kind of a plastic bb material. I plan on getting a heavy for prs and a git lite for hunting.

I havnt had a problem with the pint sized on a lot of things. Wife killed a deer with it over a 2x4 in a deer stand. Slap it over a bipod head no problem. Works just as well as a rear bag. Very versatile bag, I have not wished for bigger especially hunting scenarios.

I thought the pint sized was just a hair heavy for western hunts. Git lite supposedly brings it down to a pound which I can handle.

I also had a traust mini that I just couldn’t get along with on lighter rifles.

I couldn’t see carrying a full sized game changer hunting

Vandy321

WKR

Thanks for the gouge...🤘

Good enough to call it a dedicated rear bag for the range too? I dont need a collection of these things

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Funny this came back up. I’ve been using a heavy fill pint sized GC for PRS. It’s incredibly stable off of everything I’ve used it on. I also use it as a rear bag for prone shooting. I used to use a full size bag, but I find the pint size is a better all around bag. I now have another pint size that I filled up with git-lite (I already had it in another bag). I unstitched a small section, dumped the fill, then refilled with git-lite. I filled it to exactly 15oz, which is about equal to the heavy fill bag in fill amount.
The git-lite is maybe 90% as stable as the sand, but it weighs 15oz vs 5lbs, 8oz for the heavy sand fill.
I now have a heavy bag for competition, and a lite bag for hunting that have the same dimensions and shooting characteristics. You can order one from Armageddon Gear pre filled with git-lite.

Vandy321

WKR
Funny this came back up. I’ve been using a heavy fill pint sized GC for PRS. It’s incredibly stable off of everything I’ve used it on. I also use it as a rear bag for prone shooting. I used to use a full size bag, but I find the pint size is a better all around bag. I now have another pint size that I filled up with git-lite (I already had it in another bag). I unstitched a small section, dumped the fill, then refilled with git-lite. I filled it to exactly 15oz, which is about equal to the heavy fill bag in fill amount.
The git-lite is maybe 90% as stable as the sand, but it weighs 15oz vs 5lbs, 8oz for the heavy sand fill.
I now have a heavy bag for competition, and a lite bag for hunting that have the same dimensions and shooting characteristics. You can order one from Armageddon Gear pre filled with git-lite.

I snagged a heavy pint sized today...plan is to buy some git lite fill, or make my own, and just swap it out for hunts

Glad to hear everyone like the pint sized...thanks for the rec fellas